Great Customer Service..

Just helped a chap to moor up in a hire boat and asked how his holiday was going, he answered its great....now. He explained that after picking up his hire craft it soon became apparent that it had an infestation of wood eating beetles, the boat has now been taken out of service for the rest of the year and as they did not have a replacement gave him a full refund...and put him up in a luxury caravan at Hemsby gratis. In the meantime he found a late booking on a boat for hire with another company (its intended crew were not all from the same bubble etc, so the hire was refused) He paid the fee and informed the original company that he was vacating the caravan and they enquired if the new hire price was more than his fee with them, it was to the tune of £350, without hesitation they gave him the £350 difference along with an apology for the inconvenience. What great customer service, I don't want to name them in case of T&Cs...but it wasn't Davidsdads..

John.

Of course good service should be applauded, I can probably guess who, but perhaps not in case of TOS. The trouble with the TOS is that if contributors do not praise yards, the assumption could be they provide average or poor service. Exactly what should be avoided.

Giving praise where praise is warranted isn’t a breech of tos , in fact, I believe, in this instance as the hirer contacted the yard first and allowed them to deal with their complaint then even if the outcome had not have been to their satisfaction then they could still name the yard as the yard had been given the chance to respond before any posting was made.

Happy to be corrected if this is wrong 

29 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I’m sure that could happen to anyone though. At least it was dealt with promptly when they realised. How many marine engineers know how to spot the signs? Not part of their normal experience I would think.

The chap said they were running over them in bed, he killed several and kept them in a container, he and the hire yard thought they were cockroach but when the hirer sought expert advice it was confirmed as the wood eating beetles. The boat now has to be stripped down to see the extent of the damage possibly caused.

2 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Giving praise where praise is warranted isn’t a breech of tos , in fact, I believe, in this instance as the hirer contacted the yard first and allowed them to deal with their complaint then even if the outcome had not have been to their satisfaction then they could still name the yard as the yard had been given the chance to respond before any posting was made.

Happy to be corrected if this is wrong 

you are quite correct, tos state that an individual has to have contacted the yard and allowed them the chance to rectify the problem before they can post a bad review of the yard, this was changed from a blanket no naming and shaming to allow good reviews, however the naming and shaming of boat crews that have done something wrong is still against tos- including posting a picture that shows boat name or registration number, or a close view of the people involved, we encourage good reviews. it was considered that companies could take a bad review, if they had been given the opportunity prior to the review to fix the problem, and had still failed to resolve it..

• Like 2

This is above and beyond the call if duty. Absolutely amazing customer care and, if it is the boatyard I suspect, I am not all that surprised. Very well done and thank you for sharing such a good news story. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Jemaki said:

The chap said they were running over them in bed, he killed several and kept them in a container, he and the hire yard thought they were cockroach but when the hirer sought expert advice it was confirmed as the wood eating beetles. The boat now has to be stripped down to see the extent of the damage possibly caused.

Wood boring weevil, as opposed to common furniture beetle ( woodworm )

They exist on concealed, previously decayed timbers, rather than causing damage to sound timbers.

Somewhere onboard is a quantity of decaying softwood.

Given where they were found I would have suggested bed bugs, now they would be a pain though easier to deal with on a boat than a block of flats. Top marks to the boat yard, always easier to keep a customer you’ve got than find a new one, and the customers always write, you do want a come back!