Strangely Quiet On The Ant!

Ray

We love the upper reaches of the Ant, and all the little wild moorings there are hidden up there! We were gutted we couldn't get through Ludham last year due to the high water levels (and a tall boat!) but this coming October we have a little 6ft 5", so planning to spend a bit of time up on the Ant.

Hopefully it's still quiet

• Like 1

We are now at Oulton Broad Yacht Station, moored on the floating pontoon, very quiet, seven other hire craft including us. Maybe there will be a late afternoon rush, but the Yare wasn’t busy during our journey from Norwich YS earlier (apart from the racing day boats on Oulton Dyke).

20 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Hunters Yard have reported that a lot more of the bookings this year are short breaks. I did wonder if that might be a general trend.

We’re mostly booking short breaks these days, partly because of the cost. Certainly wouldn’t pay the high season prices but even at other times we’re more comfortable keeping to midweek. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ray said:

Are the big yards having a quiet week? It could simply be that everyone is a bit more spread out than usual. It's been lovely out there but I wouldn't want businesses to suffer after last year!

Pretty much all the yards are completely fully booked until September, with the exception of a few cancellations 

• Like 2

That's good to hear, I guess it's simply that this week's boaters have spread more evenly across the network then. I have to say it's really nice, room for all to enjoy whatever their preferred water pastime happens to be 👍

12 hours ago, SwanR said:

We’re mostly booking short breaks these days, partly because of the cost. Certainly wouldn’t pay the high season prices but even at other times we’re more comfortable keeping to midweek. 

Some of the prices are eye watering.     I mean to say you dont want to purchase a share in the boat just want to hire it for a week.   We used to hire for 14 nights.   You would need a small mortgage on some of the boats to do that now.    For us it is 4 nights.    No wonder folk go abroad.

• Like 3