topcraft

andyg

1 hour ago, Mondeoman said:

I seem to remember back in 1984 when i was a young whipper snapper hiring Lady Miranda from topcraft,would i be remembering right?

Lady Miranda (N171) Built in 1967 to a Broom design (Broom 37) according to Craig's list after 1993 it was no longer listed as being on the Broads. 

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

There were two built. Jeanette and Michelle. Michelle went to the Thames on hire in about 1970/1 and Jeanette became Lady Miranda. Jimmy sold Miranda finally in 1991 and the last time we saw her was when the new owners collected her and motored up and out of Oulton Broad and off to, I suspect, her new home away from the Broads.

I kow Craig's site lists the pair the other way round so here's a piccy of Jeanette the day she arrived. You can clearly see Coral Jeanette on the cabin side and N171 on the hull.

img023.thumb.jpg.2911217893162d9c50bfc42

• Like 2

Thanks for the replys.The picture brings back some great memories.My mum still has a 3 hour home movie of our holiday on her which i used to watch all the time,unfortunately it is on vhs and i no longer have a video player to watch it on.I do remember my dad whilst carrying the video camera (which was massive) climbing back onto the boat and clouting his head on the frame of the canopy,he did well not to swear.It was a great holiday and remember it being very hot..

39 minutes ago, Mondeoman said:

Thanks for the replys.The picture brings back some great memories.My mum still has a 3 hour home movie of our holiday on her which i used to watch all the time,unfortunately it is on vhs and i no longer have a video player to watch it on.I do remember my dad whilst carrying the video camera (which was massive) climbing back onto the boat and clouting his head on the frame of the canopy,he did well not to swear.It was a great holiday and remember it being very hot..

I believe there is a shop in Loddon who converts to DVD. Carol of Broadland Memories may be able to help you.

cheersIain

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mondeoman said:

Thanks for that, i am coming up in august for the first time in 20 years so i may well dig out that old vhs and bring it with me to take to that shop.

And if you are near Beccles on the 20th or 21st pop along to the Yacht station and have a drool over the wooden broads cruisers on show

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mondeoman said:

This has now made me want to watch the video again.I have found a shop near me that can convert to dvd.I spoke to my mum today,she has found the tape at the back of a cupboard so i know what i am doing this weekend.

These items are NEVER IN the front of a cupboard.....are they? :naughty: 

cheersIain

• 2 weeks later...

I have a spare vhs player here if you want to borrow it? 

And yes Iain, there is a tin of Quality Street here unopened ready for just such an occasion. 

Ain't it funny. Other people's holiday pictures used to be so boring but mention its old footage of the Broads and we can't get enough of it!

Now up in my granny s loft is an 8mm shot afloat in 1973. Sadly, these days, she can't remember where the loft is! One day it will be liberated I promise

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Ok, so seems you are dealing with a VOB file, chances are they have been copied/extracted from a DVD. VOB stands for DVD Video Object and is the core file of a DVD containing the actual movie data, an MPEG movie stream and the supported audio.

To play the VOB files, you need to have a DVD player that supports VOB format. However, if you have the Windows Media Player (version 12 or higher) or VLC Media Player, it is good enough to play the file. Note that you will see a prompt telling you that it is an unsupported format, don’t worry about it and just play it anyways. It will play just fine.

If you want to obtain the VOB file from a DVD for some reason, just open the DVD in Windows Explorer instead of playing it through a media player.

The VOB file would most likely be under the VIDEO_TS folder. Some other files that you will also see in the folder are IFO and BUP. The IFO files are the information files containing meta data about the DVD and instructions for the DVD player on how to handle the disc. The BUP file is simply a backup copy of IFO files.

If you want to convert VOB file to AVI or a similar format, aviNET is a great tool to do that.

1 hour ago, LondonRascal said:

Ok, so seems you are dealing with a VOB file, chances are they have been copied/extracted from a DVD. VOB stands for DVD Video Object and is the core file of a DVD containing the actual movie data, an MPEG movie stream and the supported audio.

To play the VOB files, you need to have a DVD player that supports VOB format. However, if you have the Windows Media Player (version 12 or higher) or VLC Media Player, it is good enough to play the file. Note that you will see a prompt telling you that it is an unsupported format, don’t worry about it and just play it anyways. It will play just fine.

If you want to obtain the VOB file from a DVD for some reason, just open the DVD in Windows Explorer instead of playing it through a media player.

The VOB file would most likely be under the VIDEO_TS folder. Some other files that you will also see in the folder are IFO and BUP. The IFO files are the information files containing meta data about the DVD and instructions for the DVD player on how to handle the disc. The BUP file is simply a backup copy of IFO files.

If you want to convert VOB file to AVI or a similar format, aviNET is a great tool to do that.

1 hour ago, LondonRascal said:

You lost me Robin after the word Ok!:naughty:

• Like 5