Electric Cards

YnysMon

2 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Excellent service from the BA. Graham phoned them yesterday to order some cards for the electric posts and they arrived today. 

I normally phone up the B.A. to top up my cards, but they are available from a number of locations where you can pick them up Tingdene Marina Reception and Brooms to name but a few.

• Like 1

Yes, on previous visits we've picked them up from Brooms or Bridge Stores, Ludham, but given we will by on the Broads for a fortnight early November we didn't want to reply on availability of cards from the normal outlets, especially as one of our syndicate members had difficulty on their first outing on Moonlight Shadow. Graham ordered 20 cards, as we've found that it's safer to have more than £1 credit on the post if we want to use a heater on overnight. Harry will be joining us, so goodness knows what two heaters will draw down. It will depend on how cold the nights are. Anyway, we didn't want to wipe out stocks in outlets in consideration of other boaters. 

Err...maybe I should have said we hope to be on the Broads in November, given the situation with caring for my father-in-law. There's no confirmation yet that a care package has been sorted for him in Anglesey. We are getting more than slightly stressed out with the situation. We are even considering seeing how he copes back home, depending on whether his neighbours would be okay with checking out how he's getting on. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SwanR said:

We’ve got some old cards, probably a couple of years. Will they still work or has anything changed recently?

If they are the swipe type rather than the old slot in version they should be ok unless they have been in contact with a magnetic source like a mobile phone.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SwanR said:

We’ve got some old cards, probably a couple of years. Will they still work or has anything changed recently?

If they're the 'push in - pull out' really old (4 years?) ones BA will swap them by return of post. We found a tenners worth last year in the 'that'll be useful one day ' drawer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We bought 4 cards at HW when we got there at the beginning of our holiday last month.  Never used them as all the shore power posts that we did use already had plenty left on them from the previous user!!  Hopefully we can use them next September :default_biggrin:

Chris

Last year we had cards we had bought the year before and used them without any problems. As Stumpy mentioned, the BA changed the type of card about 4 years ago and recalled the old cards, or offered to change them. I don’t think there has been any issue since that switch-over with using the cards from year to year. However, I did notice in papers for one of the BA committees that there was a mention of the amount being set for the upcoming year for the amount of electricity purchased per card. That seems to change year by year.

So, do older cards still give you the previous year’s allocation? No idea.

• Thanks 1