Pmr446 Radios

I'm looking at getting a couple of moderately decent (but cheap!) PMR446 radios so, if you happen to be de-cluttering, give me a shout.  Not sure exactly what specs I'm looking for, but they should be programmable (maybe they all are, my knowledge is slight, lol).

Mike

5 hours ago, Bluebell said:

I’ve got a pair - never used if you are interested…😎

49 minutes ago, NotDeadYet said:

Thanks Bluebell.  I'm currently looking at another member's pair, if you'll pardon the expression.  Could you PM the details to me in the meantime?  Thanks,

Mike

Ooooh errrrr Mrs ... :default_blush:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Helian said:

I could be wrong but I believe genuine UK legal PMR446 radios are NOT programmable and antennas etc are fixed. 

Correct power limit is 500mW, non programmable and fixed antenna.

Even as a registered radio ham, I'm not allowed to mess with that.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, FairTmiddlin said:

Correct power limit is 500mW, non programmable and fixed antenna.

Even as a registered radio ham, I'm not allowed to mess with that.

So you may not approve of my misspent youth on CB radio, prior to FM in 1981 - AM with high and low channels and SSB, big aerials in the garden (a CLR2 ?) and such like. It was a fun time though ...

2 hours ago, Bikertov said:

So you may not approve of my misspent youth on CB radio, prior to FM in 1981 - AM with high and low channels and SSB, big aerials in the garden (a CLR2 ?) and such like. It was a fun time though ...

No on the contrary. I applaud you (it was how most people started anyway) it was for me a gateway to the larger world of communications, including the old post office licenced VHF work radio system.

I still own a CRT 9900.

It was all part of my interest in electronics - I repaired a few rigs, power supplies etc in my early teens. Relatively simple stuff like replacing audio chips, output transistors etc  I taught myself radio electronics, things like IF circuits, mixers, phase locked loops. I even tried to design my own rig, but only got as far as a few theoretical block diagrams. It's no wonder my career started off in military radar !

I once had a mobile fm rig on the motorbike, it had a connector up to the helmet with mike, and speaker and a PTT switch on the handlebars, The antenna was mounted on the topbox with a steel groundplane in the lid. was quite fun cruising and chatting

‘Spirited’ riding on my Mighty Tiger whilst chatting would be a recipe for disaster, hence no Bluetooth to phone or the Tomtom rider.

I did once have music into an earpiece, had to bin that too as riding to stuff like ‘Bat out of Hell’ was asking for a license holiday 

Griff