Won't be coming back to the broads.

Guest smokesmate

Here`s another couple of hyperthetical situations to consider,

1) A drug dealer sells some crack cocain to an addict, who then gets completely out of his mind and goes out and murders somebody. Going on the beliefs of some of the forum members here, the dealer is perfectly innocent of the crime of the addict, so should`nt be held responsible for the murder. I don`t think so.

2) A gun dealer sells a sawn off shotgun to a villain who then goes out and robs a jewelry store, and ends up shooting a member of the staff. But hey, according to some of the members here, the gun dealer is`nt responsible because he did`nt comit the robery and pull the trigger.

Yes, i know they are extreme examples, but it`s basically the same principle.

I also think Strowager has got it spot on in his last comment, in that allowing this sort of behaviour to continue, or even dare i say it, increase, it could do irreperable damage to the industry, by putting off many more people forever, and if that DID happen, we`d soon hear fleet operators demanding to know why "nobody did anything to stop it".

Smellyloo's got it right. Sheer Lunacy.

This kind of behaviour has been going on for years and years and years. I doubt it's not getting any worse but it is getting more publicity through sites like this and then we get knee jerk reactions from forthright people who want to take things too far.

This a prime example; comparing two ILLEGAL practices with genunine businesses is ridiculous and bordering on offensive.

There are people here who have said that they were once part of similar parties and we get plenty of people through reception who say the same yet wouldn't want to be dogged by the kind of crowd they used to be when they're on holiday today.

Some of these blanket statements really do nothing to help promote the Broads. They're beginning to paint a very jaded picture of a beautiful part of the country and could put people off. The kind of party we're talking about here is (in my experience) the exception rather than the rule and should not put people off visiting.

Clive made a very valid point earlier; it's not just groups of friends. I'd say there are a near equal number of families who cause similar disruption.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And that is the point exctlly, they must be stopped. We all sit here saying it is the minority, ignore it, move to another mooring, ask them politely to stop (if you dare), don't moor outside pubs etc. But why should we have to suffer, they should be stopped. It is not just noise either- moor at a quiet mooring, St Benet's for instance, and your likely to be washed up on the bank by speeding boats. It goes on and on and I certainly do not believe I should have to cruise out of season to avoid it - I pay my dues for 12 months cruising.

I agree it does not happen every time but whenever I go out I am half expecting it. Who sells that stupiod pirate stuff anyway! No, the Broads need a set of very strong by-laws that are enforced. Such laws would not restrict the behaviour of the well behaved majority and would serve to heighten the enjoyment factor associated with cruising the Broads.

In reality it matters not how mny times this happens - it should not be alllowed and should be discouraged.

You're absolutely right.

Now, set this against reality.

The Broads Authority, like all other public bodies, has had it's funding slashed. The ranger teams have been cut to the bone. WHO POLICES IT?

Who, in their right mind would encourage such behaviour? Of course it's discouraged. As operators, if we hear of such problems, we're straight on the phone to our customers reminding them of their responsibilites. But, sometimes we simply don't hear about it at all or someone might say to me at the pub "That bunch of idiots you had two weeks ago......" Well, at that time, I don't have a clue who they are and can do nothing to prevent it. Horse, door, bolted.

So, here's an open invitation to anyone - if you see customers on a Freedom boat behaving in a unsociable manner, speeding, travelling after sunset, etc., Call 01603 858453 and tell us. We'll contact the boat (if possible) and the rangers (if necessary).

We sell pirate flags and captains hats too. Should I expect a visit from the Anti-Fun lobby shortly? :wave

Good points there Andy, well made. cheers

If anyone wants to dress up as a pirate and have a fun filled break on the broads,

:pirate Ring this number 0844 272 3814 :pirate

Not making light of this subject can we not just post a link to another thread which has already been through all this?

Here are a couple from this year so in an effort to save time we can copy and paste sections from earlier threads :yawn:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10510&p=127038&hilit=drunken+yobs#p127038

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10547&hilit=drunk

Good points there Andy, well made. cheers

If anyone wants to dress up as a pirate and have a fun filled break on the broads,

:pirate Ring this number 0844 272 3814 :pirate

Not making light of this subject can we not just post a link to another thread which has already been through all this?

Here are a couple from this year so in an effort to save time we can copy and paste sections from earlier threads :yawn:

http://thenorfolkbroads.net/phpBB3/view ... bs#p127038

http://thenorfolkbroads.net/phpBB3/view ... ilit=drunk

Thank god it,s getting a tad teadus!!

I've participated in some of the earlier threads, and the fact that this keeps coming up, suggests that there is indeed a (growing?) problem. I know from friends' recent hires that nothing has been said to them about behaviour. Now it may be that the yards (no names, no pack drill) have made a judgement about these people, or it may be that it's just not part of their handover. Judging by what I'm told, the handovers generally have been pretty lax on all matters.

I agree with Strowager that it's a difficult one, but I do find the posts saying "it's not our responsibility" veer a little too far that way, whilst others are veering a little too vehemently towards the flogging end of the spectrum. There must be a way for the yards to put more emphasis on behaviours and the possible consequences than appears to be the case at present.

Please, apologists for hire companies, don't jump down my throat. I have no doubt that some yards are very good in all respects, but I'm pretty certain that some are not.

I do find the posts saying "it's not our responsibility" veer a little too far that way, whilst others are veering a little too vehemently towards the flogging end of the spectrum.

I think that's it, in a nutshell.

I don't agree with the numerous claims that it's a rarity either. I've lived here for many years now, and it's definitely getting worse.

The claims that highlighting the problem is detrimental to business sound suspiciously like vested business interests, rather than genuine concerns about the long term future of the area itself.

I have read and re-read this thread a few times now.

Every time I have read it I want to comment, but have decided not to.

Because if I say it is not the yards fault I will be named as a yard sympathiser (speeling?).

If I say more should be done to police it, I will be told about the cuts being made.

But I will put my tuppence worth in.........

Neil...... get back to being yourself, not this person that has decided to attack the forum with stupid, yes STUPID posts.

The only people to blame for their actions are the people themselves.......

If you gave me a sawn off shotgun, it would be up to me to use it or not. My actions, my decision.

What is the saying....... guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Every one is accountable for their own actions, not the business, be it airlines, car hire, boat hire, hotels, etc

It is the people, young, old, middle aged, male, female.

:River Police:Stinky

[

I don't agree with the numerous claims that it's a rarity either. I've lived here for many years now, and it's definitely getting worse.

Or are you getting older :naughty::lol::lol:

When I was younger there were a lot more 'big' people about, that does not mean that people are shrinking as I am getting older, does it ? :grin:

Exactly Geoff you have it in a nutshell, there is an open invitation here to do something about it with a simple phone call, so if you do encounter it then use that invitation and get the problem handled at source, don't just sit there whingeing, do something.

If a phone call will sort it then that is fine by me but I doubt that a phone call late in the evening will, achieve much. More needs to be done to "prevent" the behaviour it in the first place. Last season we were moored outside Herbert Woods only to witness a big boat of lads undertaking their training ...whilst breaking out the lagers! The training was completed and off they went beer in hand - now what sort of message does that give? As an alternative, when moored in Thurne Dyke the publican responsible for The Lion came out and put a pair of noisy boats (one private one a hire) firmly in their place, the foul language being thrown about was awful before it was stopped.

I also agree with Strowager, it does seem more frequent - boats with music blasting out at heavens knows how many watts, speeding boats, rowdy crews etc., etc. Yes some are private and expensive boats at that and some are hire. But it matters not who it is, it is the fact that it occurs that irritates. As I have said before finding somewhere else to moor does not represent a solution as relocating means one has been driven away. There are not enough moorings on our beloved Broads anyway - but that is another story.

That this thread goes round in circles is true but don't forget the OP has had a holiday ruined and will not come back. If it affected him that badly then I agree with his decision. I know of at least one other crew that made the same decision - last year in Thurne Dyke a family with youg children had enough of the f'-ing and blinding emanating from the rowdy boats and said never again. How many more will make a similar decision (or indeed have already done so).

so over and out :-|

Of course now you have raised another irritant re: incorrect use of VHF parlance. So often the phrase "over and out" is incorrectly used to terminate a conversation.

So simply put .... "OUT".

The assumption there is that I know or care anything about VHF, which I do not. Therefore my words are just that, words in the dictionary that I may use at will. That said, I do not wish to upset those with an interest in the VHF world so will happy to use alternatives be it out or something else :)

As an alternative, when moored in Thurne Dyke the publican responsible for The Lion came out and put a pair of noisy boats (one private one a hire) firmly in their place, the foul language being thrown about was awful before it was stopped.

Surely this makes the point perfectly?

Clive's probably right too; we're all getting older and our attitudes to such behaviour changes. Often we berrate the kind of behaviour we now find unacceptable yet 20-30 years ago might have had our elders looking on at us and shaking their heads.

Please can we put this to rest as we ain't gonna fix it.

Worry not Rod. Had a sneak preview of the up and coming guest ales in the cellar at our local yesterday. Broadland Sunrise AND Little Sharpie. Got a feeling that next weekend could be a little hazy. :party:

cheersbar

Howard, had several Broadland Sunrise in both The Bridge at Acle and The Bell at Salhouse this week and very nice too. both places are highly recommended by me for food too.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
Moor in the trees away from folk you cannot beat it. Where else can you go on holiday and up sticks and move if you dont like your neighbours - answer - no where except the Broads. The Broads holiday is a win win situation evey time.

Not according to the OP pav ;);) .

• 8 months later...

Not according to the OP pav ;);) .

why do people moor in the trees?

I'd go more often if there were more people enjoying themselves. There's more life in crematoriums than most broads pubs.

Yes we take some wine with us but @ the dog I made 3 trips in a few hours , once for the football , once with crew for food , and then back for moor decent ale after walking crew back. There was an older stag party of 4 people & a mixed student crowd with a good atmosphere.