Springer’s Retreat On The Rivers

kpnut

23 minutes ago, grendel said:

my aunt bred Staffies, she even had a crufts champion, but they were as stupid as anything, to a staffie a stick is anything from a 6 foot garden fence post down to something the size of a matchstick (the same original stick 24 hours later) but if you have ever seen a staffie with a 6 foot fence post in its mouth try and run through a door- it didnt go well . . . . . . . . . .

I’ve posted at least one of these pictures before, but our son’s stupid dog does like a stick!

P1000675.thumb.jpeg.fcc70fa7aae7e355a0c4d467d32a659a.jpeg

This was on the road that runs behind Ranworth church, near to the gates into the boardwalk.  When we arrived at the path that runs to the side of the road to the moorings, he had a problem.

P1000677.thumb.jpeg.ef8d624c92e1507611d22a54a4257cee.jpeg

He sat and cried because he couldn’t work out how to carry his ‘stick’ along the narrow boardwalk.  He is a softie, although incredibly  strong, is wonderful with the grandchildren and is now ten years old.  He weighs around 35kilos and his favourite seat is on my lap.  We have the dubious pleasure of looking after him for a week, when the boy and his family are on board Moonlight Shadow.  I can’t wait! 🤦🏼‍♂️

P1000687.thumb.jpeg.19c1fec401b8def14afcf8e1a0114ec2.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

my aunts staffies (must be 40 years ago or more now, looked a lot chunkier, its a shame they bred them down to look less like pitbulls, because staffies are so good with kids (and so bad for intruders) my aunts champion dog must have easily weighed in at 50kg plus, he was half again as big as his sisters, who would have been about the size of your sons, go for a walk, you could hardly drag them heading away from the house- on the way back you were almost running to keep up. (and that was up a steep hill)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I think Finlay's whirring cogs might work out how to get over the top of the trellis and you could end up replacing with a taller piece 😀

I think he’d need a run up down the length of the boat. So far, he’s just peered longingly through it. 

• Like 1

Near disaster at Upton dyke river end. 
I’m moored with my bow looking out into the main river.

5B8742AB-81B8-4859-96E6-367D9113E55A.thumb.jpeg.694f030255ff462dbbd8b335cd2658bb.jpeg

A family were having a picnic in front of the big signs. 
A yacht came down from Thurne direction and did what looked to me (non sailor) a wonderful 180• to go back up, but very soon after it appeared in view again. They headed for the dyke entrance with engine running, with one man at the helm and the other at the bow taking the sails down. All well and good (although my sister told me in sailing exams you fail if you take the sails down completely before mooring, in case the engine fails and you need the sails again. I have no idea how true that is mind you!) 

I happened to glance up to find the yacht heading directly for my bow. It missed by an inch or so and the bow landed up nearly on the grass in front of me with its pointy bit nearly joining the picnic. I have no idea how the man at the bow stayed on the boat as there was a jolt big enough for the picnickers to say ‘the earth moved’. 
I managed to fend off the stern from my bow and jumped off the boat to grab a stern line. There wasn’t one of course as they get stowed away but we managed to get one clipped on and I used my spare rhond anchor to moor the boat up as it still seemed to be wanting to plough forwards along the mooring. The man at the helm had still got it in forward gear!
What a relief to have it all under control once the bow man took charge of the tiller again. 
Just shows what insurance is for I suppose. 

• Like 5

After that excitement, I thought a walk would do us good. So up to the village where I bought an icecream at the shop having passed a house clearance stall where I got a little child’s game and a book titled ‘the battle for the Broads’ by Martin Ewan’s. It looks to be an interesting take on the 20th century development of the Broads, with its conflict between tourism and environmental concerns. 

• Like 3

On 05/08/2024 at 16:06, kpnut said:
On 05/08/2024 at 14:09, Broads01 said:

think Finlay's whirring cogs might work out how to get over the top of the trellis and you could end up replacing with a taller piece 😀

I think he’d need a run up down the length of the boat. So far, he’s just peered longingly through it. 

Ummm. 
Having hardly ventured into the front well in the time I’ve had the boat, this trip he’s been more brave. 
And now, with his exit blocked at the back door, he’s decided getting off at the front is OK after all. 
So he played a game this morning, which I realised I’d got sucked into.
Jump out the front, wait at the back to be let back in, run to the front and jump out again etc. 

I’m not so keen on this at all as having a ‘fear’ of the front well is actually to my advantage when I come into moor on my own. 

• Like 4

I seriously thought about  staying on the end of Upton dyke a further night as it’s so lovely there. I set about a few boat jobs; that lasted all of an hour at most but now all the rims underneath the storage bins at the back are clean, as is the groove that the sunroof slides into. My pet spiders all got disturbed as I swept the exterior roof and walls of the boat. 

Washing my hands from them being a bit oily when I decided to clean out the rudder housing compartment was when I decided moving on would be a better idea to get more hot water.
So we moved up to Fleet dyke and went for the reverse of the walk I did last week across the marsh. It was hot and I was very grateful for the strong breeze. There were loads of butterflies, they seemed to like the burdock flowers, and also hawker dragonflies. I didn’t realise they went to and fro, quartering their territory like a spaniel. Too fast for a photo. 
549E1DCC-6010-47BA-A6EA-652C066A4317.thumb.jpeg.af62f337bbe26974fbe4782dfd3fa6d2.jpeg

0B6C4B2B-896D-4435-B12C-A70FBA613EF7.thumb.jpeg.e51b6f4dc9b8b425728d1c93cc973a3d.jpeg

I met a family of cows. Dad looked very impressive with his curly hair (like Finlay’s!) and two of his children were inquisitive. (Not sure where the underlining has come from) 

79F707F4-D2B1-4D3A-9340-3CA09F110431.thumb.jpeg.c2059deb0f25de43a25b5d4ba40592ff.jpeg

06D9FF2D-73DB-4B2F-BB01-A74D3EA0FECF.thumb.jpeg.77b2d04c327bcff676a2cc2dc3f993c0.jpeg

I also walked along the riverbank path to Thurne mouth to see if I could spot the Bittern that seems to keep flying across from one bank of the river to the other down there (no luck), and got back about 10 minutes before the first spits of forecast rain. 
The sky had looked quite ominous as I came back towards St Benets.

2823F452-7C15-4F0C-B02A-9FCCA735ACDD.thumb.jpeg.c3c84d9c646ce21ebf4e914c04c423b4.jpeg

I woke an hour after starting to read, to proper rain.
20C263C8-9CD0-4376-98AE-9F1E31F21FD3.thumb.jpeg.b20b1b3b8c88b33a4fb6718340811f81.jpeg

I must have been tired. 

• Like 11
  • Love 1

As I was thinking about setting off, Broad Ambition came past and we called our hellos to each other. I then realised I could have taken a photo so ran up the riverbank to catch them as they turned onto the Bure thinking they’d be heading downstream. But no, all I saw was BA’s stern as they passed St Benet’s moorings. 

After the rain last night, I didn’t fancy a long riverbank walk brushing past wet vegetation,  so soon after setting off, we moored up again at St Benets and walked the circle up the concrete track, along to the Dog Inn and back down the permissive path to the abbey. I feel like asking the Ludham parish clerk to pass on my grateful thanks to the owner of that path. It was a joy to walk down. 
I could hear the chug of, and sometimes see the boats on the river to my right, with a wonderful view across to the abbey on my left, with countless butterflies and dragonflies skirting around me in the sunshine, with a bonus of not having to worry about tripping in the undergrowth. It made me think back to my first week on the Broads and why I fell in love with the place. Coming so often, it’s easy to forget just how special it is. 
26E299F9-97CB-4BDB-9507-92610AAA46DC.thumb.jpeg.1e0142910d8005009c4d6cfd57d6999e.jpeg

Getting off the mooring was interesting - as I let the stern out, the boat the other side of the one at my stern came out forwards. So we both needed the same bit of water. He seemed a bit unaware I needed to keep reversing into the water he was moving into, and I couldn’t very well stop as the wind would have blown me back into my neighbour’s boat, so we did a bit of a dance round each other, kicking the stern round and manoeuvring forwards into his vacated spot, and thankfully we all managed to avoid it turning into a contact sport with the boat sandwiched between us. 

At Ludham Bridge, headroom was only showing 7’8”. I had two boats plus a yacht in front of me, none of which seemed to be taking any action to reduce their height. The yacht did what yachts do and moored up opposite the boatyard to de mast, the boat in front of me pulled into a gap so his children could be ‘put away below’ and he could take his windscreen down, and someone on the Ludham bank shouted across to the leading boat that they’d not get through. They themselves seemed a bit oblivious to the fact. I was going to post a photo but it shows the name of the boat too well which seems unfair. Looking it up on the website of the relevant boatyard, it says “8’2” when prepared for passage under the bridge”. The lads at the boatyard directed them onto their frontage so they could sort themselves out, I expect to turn round. Or maybe after all, they had no intention of going under and were just booked in for a pumpout?

Woodie boats galore coming down the Ant - hi to Ruby and to Lovejoy. Also Merrywind if they are heading for Beccles too. 

Space at Irstead, so I moored up to buy a saucer for my friend who was missing one when buying a pot the other day. That’s 3 times in less than 2 weeks that I’ve found a space there; must be my lucky summer. I ought to get back to Stalham tonight, but might stay out one more night as it’s such a treat to be at Irstead. 

• Like 13

I did stay at Irstead overnight. It was one of those memorable wonderfully calm, balmy evenings. I felt truly on holiday especially on seeing the crew of the yacht next door sitting out until dark with fairy lights and mozzie coil deterrents. 

The morning dawned bright too. 
87564C9E-79C9-4CD4-BE38-FF473F1479F7.thumb.jpeg.f07db58069342d53fdc91dc22e4bfaa1.jpeg

I was up and gone before 8, very unusual for me. All I had left was a slow cruise up to Stalham - why is it my dog peers at me so much when I’m helming? He just sits there and does that!

7EF4C1C9-5EAE-49DA-BC8B-CBDDB8065E84.thumb.jpeg.dd945e24ff840ed84f66dc6586e36e72.jpeg

and then, with Finlay happily in and out of his car crate, (out when he got too hot and went under a tree for shade) half a day of jobs - buying and fitting a new gas bottle included. I even washed the car.
A shame I didn’t check my tyres though as I had to change a wheel halfway home. I can’t find a puncture, but the rubber does look a bit cracked. I’ll be interested to hear the verdict when I go to Savoys for a new one tomorrow. 

Edit - oh bother, I still forgot to drive round to the newly opened pub at Hickling!

• Like 5

11 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Love the photo of Finlay. He’s probably thinking…can’t we stay here  forever. 

More like he’s telling me he’s bored silly and wonders why he can’t go back to the yard and snooze in the car. He does bring me a ball every now and again and entertains himself running up and down the corridor not wanting to give it back to me. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Arrived back on the boat with Tony on Monday 19th after a lengthy journey from Brighton. 
Job of the week is fitting new pelmets while sorting out the rather poor electrical connections to the LED lights fitted on behalf of the previous owner. 
Also doing a permanent wiring job on the TV aerial, now I’m sure I’m happy with the position it’s been put. 

Jobs done - happy with all the electrics thanks to Tony and his toolboxes full of every type of connection imaginable! (Thanks for the offers of help and tools Neil and Graham). 
Not quite so happy with the pelmet fitting, but it’ll have to do and I’ll forget the little bits I’m not happy with soon enough. 

I needed to take the dog out for a run, he’d been very patient for two days. We went down to Womack to walk down the riverbank and I’m pleased to report its now walkable again.
Then I popped round to the Pleasureboat Inn at Hickling. Closed on Mondays, open from 12 the other days. I took photos of the temporary menus for anyone interested.
C3D5EF24-D158-4E3A-AECF-C0B46717AFA8.thumb.jpeg.93dbf3138bab17a96b726582c0acc362.jpeg

257E0954-EB68-46AC-B4C0-50493000C6F3.thumb.jpeg.9271a80afaa2676caded3cb4cc9dc503.jpeg

Very friendly, and dog friendly (water and dog biscuits brought out for Finlay), looks lovely inside, and a lovely setting.
85679F3A-7691-456F-A059-EE9160051C03.thumb.jpeg.7f1bd6a0e0ea945e0cb990a071c50118.jpeg

AFD72BDC-4911-45F6-9B24-5B58B19BD573.thumb.jpeg.3695479fc89e6cd8c9ed55e9d735f815.jpeg

We treated ourselves to a Kings Arms carvery at Ludham this evening, very generous and the OAP version is extremely good value. 

And now we’re ready for some fun tomorrow, one day down the river before daughter Catherine takes charge for a week with her family. 

D0DD1673-B901-4C79-8D9A-82AA8782CADE.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I heard somewhere that the limited menu is due to not having any proper cooking facilities yet. 

One thing I did ask - will they be taking the White Horse/Lion Loyalty discount card. The lady wasn’t sure as it’s complicated by the fact the owners are different to the tenants, but there’ll probably be one of some sort or another sooner or later. That’s a very vague sentence I’ve just written! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, kpnut said:

I heard somewhere that the limited menu is due to not having any proper cooking facilities yet. 

One thing I did ask - will they be taking the White Horse/Lion Loyalty discount card. The lady wasn’t sure as it’s complicated by the fact the owners are different to the tenants, but there’ll probably be one of some sort or another sooner or later. That’s a very vague sentence I’ve just written! 

Good to see you Kate at The Kings Arms for the excellent Wednesday evening Carvery yesterday. 

A pity you were there by car and not walking back to 'Springers Retreat' at Womack, as we had great entertainment on The Green, from the Ludham Ukulele Band.

Oh, on second thoughts you may have made the right decision, as they got me up to sing one of the songs with them.

• Like 1

That would have been just up my street Paul, and hearing you would have been an added bonus!

Kings Arms as good as ever, I hope you two and John and Eileen did too. 

12 minutes ago, kpnut said:

That would have been just up my street Paul, and hearing you would have been an added bonus!

Kings Arms as good as ever, I hope you two and John and Eileen did too. 

Yes, the Carvery was great quality and value as usual, we all enjoyed it.

20240821_191117.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PaulN said:

A pity you were there by car and not walking back to 'Springers Retreat' at Womack, as we had great entertainment on The Green, from the Ludham Ukulele Band.

Our son and his partner are out on Karizma this week and mentioned that there was a band out on the green yesterday evening - said they sounded great. We'll plan to return next Wednesday (as we take over the boat this weekend :default_beerchug:) to hear them ........

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Karizma said:

Our son and his partner are out on Karizma this week

What! Does he look identical to you and his partner identical to Tracey? The only one I didn’t see this morning passing Irstead was Cody. 
Your son must have thought I was daft, calling across to him in that case. I’m really not convinced that it wasn’t you Steve 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

I couldn’t bear being on my home mooring any longer so we made a get-away after breakfast this morning, in a bit of drizzle and a lot of wind. Tony seemed to think it was as rough on Barton Broad as it had been when I took him over Breydon in the gale in the spring; his memory of that must have faded somewhat! 

I thought we’d go as far as Irstead and if it wasn’t free, we’d go back up to Paddy’s Lane. All three moorings at Irstead were empty. I couldn’t believe it having spent the first three summers of this boat seemingly never being able to use Irstead, I’ve now been here four times in one month I think. 

I set to washing the boat in readiness for my daughter’s holiday, calling over my greeting to the crew of Karizma, not even noticing it wasn’t Steve I was talking to. How totally unobservant is that? And how rude of me!!!!!

Weve all had a good walk to Alderfen Broad where yet again, I saw nothing. I’m convinced there’s more wildlife on the rivers with boats churning up and down than on these specially preserved nature reserves! I never see anything at Cockshoot either. 

We walked back along the footpath that allows dogs on the perimeter of the reserve, through the delightful wood which has just about dried out for the summer from its usual winter bog status.
789F166A-F6BC-42D2-B03B-23A77EA9F473.thumb.jpeg.2f08ba9d7a137dfb178973c60c23a7d8.jpeg

There was a patch of nice orange balsam and lots of water pepper, along with a true feast of blackberries. 

8FFAD243-50C7-4DE8-92E0-4891C73D8B01.thumb.jpeg.7c9dfae7d2da2a049160ac3121afbc12.jpeg

We walked back along Irstead Street, passing a set of old buildings which I think might now be holiday lets, guessing by the number of cars.
D547DE5D-FC79-42EA-B8A1-3E5EF5D0A92E.thumb.jpeg.c0955e0c501a4a1a368b953b53a9c0e3.jpeg

On the verge on Irstead Street on the way back to the boat I tried to use Google Lens to identify a grass. It gave me a grass that grows in West Africa, and Norfolk’s newest crop - Sugar Cane 🫤 Don’t think so!

We had a quick look in Irstead church. There was a collection of locally made walking sticks on sale, ranging between £5 and £20.

9A70B9FA-8940-4FF8-8A04-A688E9C47103.thumb.jpeg.b0a9f5c45358cae0e1aa07e5079be769.jpeg

Wherry Hathor was passing just as we came back to the mooring. 
1CD23738-0794-4E84-8EF7-E46DA8B9575E.thumb.jpeg.8bf9b33ad116a3bdee6e7d4ea12ccdb6.jpeg

• Like 7

Today’s been one of those funny days where nothing goes quite to plan. 
It started as expected, with rain in the early hours and strengthening winds from about 6am. We left Irstead at 8.50am, destination Sutton Staithe boatyard to fill with diesel. But as I got to the start of the moorings the passage was completely blocked by an enormous floating island that had broken off from the edge of the channel out in the broad. The SSBY tug was trying to gently push it up towards the yard. 

D905EFFE-EBD0-47EA-A44E-A3AC30A880BD.thumb.jpeg.d394bf1454ee9e8bfe5b7fd8313c4ca4.jpeg

Steve on Karizma (I have now caught up with him and Tracey and said my hellos properly to his son and partner) were on the moorings waiting for the clearance so they could leave. The tug moved it upstream of Karizma and I thought the island was nicely jammed at the side, so I made my decision to go through after the tug had done so.
But then the wretched thing floated off again completely blocking the channel just past the little side dyke. A hireboat decided to give it a go getting through it and I hoped that’d break it up small enough for the tug to get back round and shove it further up.

114E4BFC-1523-4FB8-B3AD-E1600457685D.thumb.jpeg.8cc73adace89d36251de01ba0e92e505.jpeg

But no, it wedged itself in the last narrow bit between a boat and the far bank. At that point, I gave up waiting and decided my daughter and family will have to fill with diesel for themselves. There’s plenty in the tank. 

So first action point not ticked off. 

Then round to Richardsons kingfisher quay for a pump out, which was a lot busier than of late, so I left the boat there to walk round and collect the car so I could start packing up. By the time I was back with the car (takes a long while as there are so many people to stop and talk to, including GarryN who’d just arrived) Tony said they hadn’t yet done it so he went off to the toilets, but it had actually been done. So a further wait for him to get back. Action point two ticked off but slower than anticipated. 

We eventually got both boat and car back to the mooring where I got on with cleaning etc. I thought I had about 2 hours before my daughters arrival but they’ve got stuck in traffic on the A14 following an accident somewhere. So action point three, ‘handover’ is not yet completed!  And I would have had plenty of time to go back to SSBY to fill with diesel!!

But it’s turned into a beautifully warm and sunny afternoon, if still too windy. 

Anyone who sees Springer’s Retreat out and about from tomorrow till next Saturday- it’s NOT me. 😢 but they’ll be happy to say hello. 

• Like 11
  • Love 1

Finlay’s having a night on the boat without me; I’m jealous!

He did have a long day in the car though. First two hours to Nottingham for a medical screening, then 4 hours to Neatishead to meet my very own boat in the charge of my daughter and family. We had our tea in the White Horse and then I left Finlay with them while I have had to make do with the travelodge at Acle. I was too mean to pay the extra £20 for the dog so they’ve had to dog sit. 
To be fair, I was invited onboard for the night, but I didn’t want to muscle in on the last night of their boat holiday. 

• Like 10