A Visit To Liverpool

Despite living just 75 miles from Liverpool, I've never visited this fine city. Quite apart from the pop history, the city has much to keep visitors entertained, not least some fine architecture. So below are some images which might be of use to anyone considering a break there. Start with the obvious. The Beatles played the Cavern 297 times. Cilla Black tended the coffee bar. 

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

beatles.jpg

I embarked on a 50 minute "harbour cruise"

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC05122.JPG

DSC05159.JPG

DSC05164.JPG

DSC05172.JPG

The famous waterfront

DSC05123.JPG

So much fine architecture. This reminded me of Paris

DSC05127.JPG

DSC_0002_4.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

Distictly continental feel

DSC_0017_2.JPG

DSC_0025.JPG

DSC_0029.JPG

DSC05120.JPG

This building interested me, because it reminded me of the original Scotland Yard

DSC05158.JPG

DSC05170.JPG

DSC05177.JPG

DSC05178.JPG

The building at the far right is the Central Library

DSC_0001_4.JPG

This greets you as you enter. Fabulous

DSC_0032.JPG

Beautifully kept reading rooms

DSC_0033.JPG

DSC_0034.JPG

On the roof, looking at the dome seen in the previous photo

DSC05149.JPG

The Albert docks development

DSC_0009.JPG

Liverpool had an elivated railway at one time that skirted the waterfront. It became disused in the 50s (I think). Too much salt and underinvestment made it unsafe.

DSC05136.JPG

DSC05137.JPG

• Like 5
  • Love 3

In the 80s I spent a lot of time in Liverpool. It was not the best of times for the city but I still loved it.

A visit is long overdue for me as well. I made some really close friends there but sadly our paths never crossed after about 1994 and we have become estranged. 

• Sad 1

Rode the Overhead many times as a young child, always confused me that it entered a tunnel at the Dingle end. If you click  on the photo I give some comments on its demise.

The Scotland Yard like building (now a hotel) was the head office of the White Star Line.

Liverpool Overhead Railway closure notice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trambo said:

If you click  on the photo I give some comments on its demise.

Thanks Fred. Very interesting. The accompanying photos in the museum showed how it had been hit by German bombs a number of times in the war, but was quickly repaired, such was it's importance at the time. Liverpool really surprised me. I thought it would have a mildly run-down waterfront and the Cavern. It is actually a fine port city, reflecting, and bettering the wealth and importance it held in it's past. 

10 hours ago, Bikertov said:

That Isle of Man Steam Packet ferry is far posher than the one I took to get to the island for the TT back in 1992, or Cadet camps in Jurby back in the 80's for that matter

I was there last week, and the TT races have already started (I think), so the ferries were loaded with hundreds of bikers. 

• Like 1

Thanks for that, I had no idea there was an elevated railway, found it on Youtube now.

My late brother hated Liverpool. He used to deliver there as a lorry driver and said the dockers did 10 minutes work followed by a half hour tea break.

For anyone interested, at the other end of the Birkenhead/Queensway tunnel, at the Woodside Ferry terminal, there is an interesting museum with a WW2 German U-boat chopped into 3 bits.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, floydraser said:

My late brother hated Liverpool. He used to deliver there as a lorry driver and said the dockers did 10 minutes work followed by a half hour tea break

The museum did mention the dockers, and how they went on strike because they could see their jobs being lost as a result of the containerisation of the ports/ships.