Worth Th3 Walk.

grounded

Today we moored at Cockshoot Dyke with the intention of lunching at the Fur and Feathers at Woodbastwick, a pub we have never visited. 

The first part of the walk is along the boardwalk parallel with the river up towards Horning. The initial stretch is very overgrown with lots of nettles and rotten boards. But persevere! The stretch managed by the angling club is much clearer but you do have to negotiate serried ranks of rods and poles. Most anglers are fine, some more tetchy and who try to tell you the path is private, which it is not, only the fishing is private. You emerge at a car park almost across from the Ferry Inn. Turn left and it is all made road from there.

45 minutes later you arrive at the pub. It was very busy, but the service was first rate, the beer excellent (I can recommend the Nelson and the Nog) and ee both enjoyed the steak and ale pie. An overall positive experience and, if you have never done it, well worth the walk.

Chris

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, grounded said:

Most anglers are fine, some more tetchy and who try to tell you the path is private, which it is not, only the fishing is private.

I love it!

It takes someone to come all the way from New Zealand on holiday, to tell the riverbank anglers where they start and where they stop.

Welcome back to the Broads, and I hope you continue to enjoy a good holiday.

• Like 2

However, it has never been a public footpath, it was always a permitted path at the discretion of the owners (Cators).

Who I believe did in fact close it a few years ago.

The whys and wherefores raged on within Broads Forums for ages when it was closed. I have just checked the old OS. And it is indeed orange, ie Permitted Not green ie. Public Footpath.

Sadly I believe Chris B is correct - it never was a public footpath, merely a permitted one, and that permission was withdrawn by the Cators at the time the lease on the moorings was not renewed.  There were plenty of signs then saying just that and that its now private.

At the same time the angling club concerned - forget which one it is,- leased the fishing rights from that bank, or so I believe. I could of course be totally wrong!

Don't you just love our local landowners!!!!!!!!