Aweigh App

Bluebell

So that explains our confusion last week mooring up at Stokesby. We moored with the tide (safely thank goodness) having checked Aweigh thinking we would be against the tide.  Will compare different tide info next time! 

Yes, I have a number of times since about oct/nov if I remember correctly. 
even saying it’s rising when their times indicate it’s falling etc. I remember a trip when we were discussing it quite a lot. 

I also have real difficulty getting it tell me my ‘speed’. It normally says 0 even though it can pinpoint exactly where I am, so presume it’s not a problem with it getting a signal. 
I assume there’s some techie reason for this and don’t need it to tell me as I’m pretty good at knowing if I’m going too fast, by just looking outside. 

As I use an old Garmin for my speed indicator, I don’t use that function on  the Aweigh app. It’s just so annoying to get the tide “wrong” especially when mooring up in a tidal river. As it’s so quiet at the moment I’ve taken to stopping mid stream and checking visually, still got it wrong though…😎

• Like 1

Tidal prediction is not an exact science.

I am led to believe that Aweigh uses tidal harmonics which gives a correction to to printed in advance Tide Predictions so should be better the printed ones as it takes into account the trends for the previous days.

Coming into a Berth at London Gateway Port on an Ultra Large Container Ship at High Water myself and the second pilot discussing if the tide had turned or not both of us equipped with state of the art I Pads with a navigation function running and a very expensive precision docking computer (PPU or Portable Pilot Unit) The Captain asked how we knew if the tide had turned or not and we both simultaneously pointed to the Tugs on swing buoys that had not swung yet.

So simple answer, Look out of the blooming window 🤣

• Like 5

I got a bit alarmed reading the first few posts on this thread, but then I remembered that each time we’ve been on Moonlight Shadow in February the tides/water levels have been completely topsy-turvey (until this year we always ‘drew’ a February week, so had Feb 2020, 2021 and 2022 on the boat). We’ve had excessively high water levels followed by exceptionally low water levels and vice versa. On some February days the water level hardly seemed to drop, so I guess the tide struggled to go out (this was in Brundall). 

On the whole, at other times of the year I find the Aweigh App fairly accurate.

Of course, the nearer you get to Gt Yarmouth, the more you notice the disparity between low tide and actual turn of the tide. We’ve been surprised by that several times at Stokesby and Polkey’s Mill. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, marshman said:

The Aweigh app uses a 12 hr period with 6 hrs of ebb and 6 of flood i think - for what its worth, I don't think that is what actually happens in Broadland - neither can you apply the twelfths rule!!

25 minutes ago, marshman said:

The Aweigh app uses a 12 hr period with 6 hrs of ebb and 6 of flood i think - for what its worth, I don't think that is what actually happens in Broadland - neither can you apply the twelfths rule!!

Not in Broadland but it works just fine in Yarmouth Harbour. You just have to ignore which way the tide is actually running 😳

I am not jesting it is reasonably common to visually see the tide ebbing when the water level is actually rising.

9 hours ago, FlyingFortress said:

I think in these days of information at your fingertips literally now with smart phones people tend to forget that Mother Nature was not included in the software development team. 😩

Not the only software at the end of Smoggy 's finger tips by the sound of it :default_norty: (apologies to pesky mods in advance)

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, FlyingFortress said:

Not in Broadland but it works just fine in Yarmouth Harbour. You just have to ignore which way the tide is actually running 😳

I am not jesting it is reasonably common to visually see the tide ebbing when the water level is actually rising.

That happened more than once last summer especially noticeable when moored at Acle, water actually rose 4" while tide still ebbing,  not surprising  when you consider the Bure continues to ebb when the Yare starts flooding added to which the variables with wind etc.

Fred

Which explains why we are advised to make a Yarmouth passing at low water slack which is 1 hour after low water at the Yacht Station. This is to avoid the strong currents. If you have a high air draft boat you are better transiting at actual low water as by 1 hour after you will already lost some clearance.

Something I found out during a high water passage this January is that The Rangers have an app that tells them the actual bridge height in real time. I did not know this I thought that they told you the bridge height by phoning the Yacht Station the same as we can. 

We were approached by the SOB and as it was clear we were a private boat he simply asked what bridge height we needed. He then told us what it actually was. When I said I was using The Troll app he said he had an app with the actual height live. It was around 4" different to Troll. 

The good thing with Troll is that is shows the tidal curve for the previous tides so I knew that even though we may not be able to pass at actual high water the tide would drop away very quickly, which it did.

54 minutes ago, kpnut said:

So is the water coming in running underneath the water going out, something to do with salinity and different density perhaps?

I don`t know the exact science but basically yes, it is a well known feature, if you cross Breydon at the right time you will see the ripple effect as you turn into the Bure.

Fred

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, marshman said:

Yes exactly! The incoming salt water comes in under the freshwater so the bottom is running one way, whilst the top another!!

Simples really!!  (I have always the Shore base tables, adjusted by my brain to account for Broadland idiosyncrasies!)

Not disputing what you are saying MM as I have heard this theory during my working life on The Thames.

My question is then how does the current effect you if you are working at near maximum draft as I routinely did in both locations. 

I would always go with what the Mk 1 eyeball told me.

Many people both in my professional life and my leisure life want to know WHY? I am happy with it just does 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3