Aweigh App

Bluebell

29 minutes ago, FlyingFortress said:

My question is then how does the current effect you if you are working at near maximum draft as

Oh, Flying Fortress, finding out why is surely part of the fun of life. Not when you were told to st school, but now as an ‘elder’.

Maybe if the less dense water, on top, is deeper than the draft of the boat you just pretend the other stuff underneath is not there. And go with what the surface is doing, as you said, mk1 eyeball. 

How you’d tell how deep it is I wouldn’t hazard a guess apart from if it were a different colour. You do sometimes see different colour waters not mixing when swimming in the sea, something I partake in as little as possible. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlyingFortress said:

Which explains why we are advised to make a Yarmouth passing at low water slack which is 1 hour after low water at the Yacht Station. This is to avoid the strong currents. If you have a high air draft boat you are better transiting at actual low water as by 1 hour after you will already lost some clearance.

Something I found out during a high water passage this January is that The Rangers have an app that tells them the actual bridge height in real time. I did not know this I thought that they told you the bridge height by phoning the Yacht Station the same as we can. 

We were approached by the SOB and as it was clear we were a private boat he simply asked what bridge height we needed. He then told us what it actually was. When I said I was using The Troll app he said he had an app with the actual height live. It was around 4" different to Troll. 

The good thing with Troll is that is shows the tidal curve for the previous tides so I knew that even though we may not be able to pass at actual high water the tide would drop away very quickly, which it did.

Werid that you mention The Troll app as I was told about it only this morning.

19 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Werid that you mention The Troll app as I was told about it only this morning.

The Troll app was mentioned on here some time ago and I took note of it which is how I got to know about it. 

It is still a work in progress but if I had a high air draft boat I would find it very useful. When they add Wroxham to it will be good for me.

Due to daylight restrictions I had to do a high water passage through GTY so found it very useful then as the boats should have gone through at High Water but the tides had been pushed all over the place by high winds a few days before and the high tide was higher than usual.

3 hours ago, ExSurveyor said:

Aweigh now matches the published times at Brundall and my tide clock.

We popped up to Brundall earlier, just to give Norfolk Lady a quick run up the river to check the difference our new prop has made to the boat and to look at our new, macerating loo that was fitted this week.  I used the Aweigh app to check which way the tide was running and it was pretty much spot on.

The prop had definitely improved the boat’s ability to punch the current, without thrashing the life out of the engine and the wife is particularly happy that she can still (just)get her feet on the floor when sitting on the loo, as it’s not much taller than our old manual number.  Me, I’m happier that it’s a fresh water flush and doesn’t smell.  Different priorities, I guess! :default_rolleyes:

• Like 2