The 2 W's Afloat April 23

Well, 5 weeks today and we should be either just leaving HW aboard Olympic Light or moored up at Thurne Dyke and sorting/stowing our gear properly!  We're staying on the northern broads this holiday and having a more leisurely time than last October when we shot down to the southern broads!

Quote from Gracie on our last holiday - "Oh and by the way, next year when you run your itinerary by us I'm going to tell you to scrap it  x"

Gracie - the only itinerary that we have got this time is having a night or two swinging on the mudweight in different locations(weather permitting!), not paying 10 quid to moor at Ranworth, trying out a wild mooring hopefully and drinking Prosecco, wine and beer :409_wine_glass::409_wine_glass::407_beer::407_beer: :default_biggrin:

Chris and Brenda

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Just over 48 hrs before we start our week afloat on Royale Light from HW. Still haven't put an itinerary together (take note Gracie :default_rofl:).  As we are staying on the northern side for the week we'll just take each day as it comes apart from the Saturday evening when we will stay at Thurne Dyke (unless it's full!) otherwise we'll be chucking the mudweight overboard at Ranworth (weather permitting). I will NOT pay the 10 quid to moor at Ranworth (showing my support against this stupid charge) even if the staithe is not full! Looking at the weather forecast for next week, it's looking a bit cooler than we expected, especially at night, so a couple of warm pullies have been added to the clothing list! Hope to see one or two forumites out during the week?

Chris and Brenda

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Our paths will probably cross somewhere on the A11 or A14 on Saturday.  We have to go to Milton Keynes to collect some jewellery from repair in CMK and visit family.  Have a good time and be sure to try the beer in The Lion called ‘Somebody Call Chris.’  

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, CeePee1952 said:

Just over 48 hrs before we start our week afloat on Royale Light from HW. Still haven't put an itinerary together (take note Gracie :default_rofl:).  As we are staying on the northern side for the week we'll just take each day as it comes apart from the Saturday evening when we will stay at Thurne Dyke (unless it's full!) otherwise we'll be chucking the mudweight overboard at Ranworth (weather permitting). I will NOT pay the 10 quid to moor at Ranworth (showing my support against this stupid charge) even if the staithe is not full! Looking at the weather forecast for next week, it's looking a bit cooler than we expected, especially at night, so a couple of warm pullies have been added to the clothing list! Hope to see one or two forumites out during the week?

Chris and Brenda

Just realised that I have stated the wrong boat that we’re on next week! We’re on Olympic Light NOT Royale Light! We’ve got Royale Light booked for September with our friends from Devon. Grey matter wasn’t functioning earlier!

Chris

• Haha 2

Do you know Chris I thought I'd take a leaf out of your book, I sat and wrote a very long itinerary for my holiday the other week and then totally ignored it :default_biggrin:

You and Mrs CeePee have a smashing time, if you can remember what boat you're on anyway  :default_biggrin: x

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Do you know Chris I thought I'd take a leaf out of your book, I sat and wrote a very long itinerary for my holiday the other week and then totally ignored it :default_biggrin:

You and Mrs CeePee have a smashing time, if you can remember what boat you're on anyway  :default_biggrin: x

Ha Ha. You never know - the way my memory is not working at the moment we might just end up at the wrong boatyard tomorrow! :default_ohmy: Seriously, thank you Gracie and no matter what the weather forecast will be, we intend to make the most of the week - even if it means just sitting inside during inclement weather and enjoying a glass or two of the "falling over water". Just got back after doing a shop for some necessities to take with us.  Spag bol will be made in advance later today and muffins and crumpets bought for the obligatory bacon and egg snacks during the days afloat :376_egg:

Chris and Brenda

• Like 4
  • Love 1

That's everything packed/stuffed and ready for the off tomorrow :default_biggrin: Pooch to kennels for 0900 hrs, (it's only 15 minutes away) and then return home, load the car and we should be on our way by 1030 hrs. All being well we should arrive at HW by about 1245 hrs (traffic allowing and not getting lost circumnavigating the PH bridge closure!).  Spag bol cooked and most importantly, beer and Prosecco and wine packed ready for those peaceful nights afloat swinging on the mudweight or a wild mooring somewhere :default_biggrin: oh and finally - must make sure we get on the right boat! :default_rofl:

Chris and Brenda

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Currently sat outside the Lion at Thurne Dyke.HW rang as we were en route to say that the boat was ready before allotted time - bonus! We left HW marina at 1420 after having a bacon sandwich each and a pot of tea and a Latte to the tune of £17.10p!!!! Shan’t be going in there again! Now sampling “Somebody called Chris” beer! Good shout Mouldy - thank you! Brenda has got her lips round one of their local gins lol. Table booked for 1845 for tonight’s dinner, spag bol tomorrow!

image.thumb.jpeg.635e0ff92d5557b43eadad1b40335b2b.jpegChris and Brenda

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CeePee1952 said:

Now sampling “Somebody called Chris” beer! Good shout Mouldy - thank you!

image.thumb.jpeg.635e0ff92d5557b43eadad1b40335b2b.jpegChris and Brenda

My pleasure - enjoy!  I enjoyed it so much at The White Horse, Neatishead, when I found it was on at The Lion, I just had to try it again to make sure I wasn’t mistaken the first time! 😉

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CeePee1952 said:

bacon sandwich each and a pot of tea and a Latte to the tune of £17.10p!!!!

I think a lot of prices for this kind of thing have gone up, probably because the cost of the food has gone up that they need to buy in.  And in my recent experience that’s fairly average in this area. 

• Like 1

Morning all :default_biggrin: still At Thurne Dyke but shortly will be cruising to Ranworth where we’ll chuck the mudweight in and have brunch. After that it’ll be a gentle cruise towards Wroxham visiting the two Broads on the way. Bit breezy this morning!

Chris and Brenda

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NeilB said:

I noticed the cafe next to the hotel Wroxham has stopped some hot food due to energy costs.  Plus they have a lot of competition in Hoveton

We were chatting with the owner recently. He always wanted to have a coffee shop rather than being a cafe with hot meals. With food costs rising and some staff changes he simply reverted to his original plan. 

• Like 2

Now at Ranworth, happily swinging over in the corner, (calm down Gracie :default_rofl:). Staithe was virtually empty when we arrived but now hour and a half later, it’s almost full! Just had our brunch which in reality was lunch, egg, bacon, mushrooms and muffins. Will stay here for another hour perhaps and then head off towards Wroxham.

Chris and Brenda 

• Like 2

Yuk yuk yuk! Made it as far as Salhouse Broad! Left Ranworth with the sun shining, got as far as Horning and the sky started to get darker,  so we thought - get our waterproofs on just in case (we always helm from the top!). Well, we had just got round the left hand bend at Horning when the heavens opened up!!  It absolutely lashed it down and it took all my concentration to see where we were going! Brenda couldn't see anything through her glasses so we very carefully eased our way into Salhouse Broad and once clear of the entrance, I chucked the mudweight in again so that we could at least put ourselves through the mangle to try and dry off!  Yes, our waterproofs turned out not to be so waterproof so having stripped them off with a view to depositing them in the next bin that we find, we dried ourselves off and sat down listening to the rain hammering off the roof.  The rain eased off eventually and once again I imitated the Hulk and heaved the mudweight up and poodled over to where I think is the Salhouse stern on mooring number 2 and moored up properly.  Within a minute or so the Ranger? turned up and I paid the 12 quid for the night - we aint moving again today! Wroxham will have to wait until tomorrow! Brenda and I have laughed ourselves silly at what the other occupants of the boats that passed us thought when they saw us looking like drowned rats helming a boat :default_rofl:Oh well, it's all part of the fun of being on the Broads :default_biggrin: Here endeth todays lesson - I hope!! :default_icon_e_confused:

Chris and Brenda

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CeePee1952 said:

Oh well, it's all part of the fun of being on the Broads 

It’s a shame we only have one ‘reaction’ opportunity, this was definitely one where I wanted to post both a laugh and a sad face. 

• Like 1