Pubs/restaurants Down South That Come Recommended.....

Would definitely recommend the white horse at chedgrave👍

Waters edge at Bramerton really good for a treat but is a tad on the expensive side . Depends what you want it is a must for us but only once in our trips South.

Oulton Broad has just about the best Indian Restaurant that I have ever been to Labone at North station. The other one at North Walsham is not a patch on it but still pretty good.

Can't fault the food at Surlingham but the beer and service can be iffy.

Carvery at the Wherry Oulton Broad is great but remember it is a chain.

For plain pub grub it's hard to fault The New Inn at Rockland.

Would like to try The Angel at Loddon as under the last management was pretty good.

And finally the (wine? ) Vaults at Beccles or The Waveney Inn/ Hotel both brilliant 

• Like 3

Oh and how can I forget almost the best of all.

Ivy House Hotel just outside Oulton Broad.

Oulton is blessed almost as much as Coltishall in the North with a disproportionate amount of great places to eat. And if you want a real treat take a cab or train into Lowestoft and go to The Iconic just near the bridge. It will not cost a fortune but you will have top class food and service on a limited menu but you will walk away full and happy but without you wallet being raided 👍

• Like 2

Would recommend the Yacht Stations at both.

Alternatively there's The Lido Moorings at Beccles but you have to be able to pass under the Old Bridge.

At Oulton you can moor at both The Wherry or The Commadore, all the above are chargeable, as are all at Beccles.

Cannot comment on The Commadore at Oulton as haven't been for about 3 years but before that was very good.

• Like 1

The Copper Smokehouse at Oulton Broad apparently does a very good (and very filling) Sunday lunch, according to the syndicate member currently on Moonlight Shadow.

We loved the Indian takeaway we had from The Labone Oulton Broad.

If you are prepared to try Japanese food, there’s a brilliant and very reasonably priced restaurant in Tombland, close to the Cathedral. It’s called Shiki. The Norwich Market is also a treasure trove of food stalls, from traditional English bangers, fish and chips and hog roast to all sorts of other food stalls from different cultures.

Oakfired in Beccles does good pizza, both in house and take away.

We also like The Wherry at Geldeston and The New Inn Rockland St Mary.

I haven’t been there, but the comments about recently opened White Heron in Brundall seem to have been complementary. 

• Like 1

Just now, FlyingFortress said:

Been there tried that.

Blooming awful 😞

It’s a shame you feel that way. I had a delightful lunch there and their service was top notch. My son also very much enjoyed his lunch. Judging by the mostly excellent reviews generally it seems you were unfortunate. 

12 hours ago, FlyingFortress said:

FYI 

Never been to a good restaurant in Norwich despite repeated attempts 😳

But, have you tried The Belgian Monk? Good food and an impressive range of Belgian beers. Too be honest if you try too many of the beers you won't remember if the food was good or bad, but I've always found it to be very good. A pleasant change from the norm.

They've been around since 2000, so must be doing something right. Also in a very nice quarter of Norwich.

https://thebelgianmonk.com/

• Like 2

14 hours ago, FlyingFortress said:

Have you ever been to a Japanese restaurant anywhere else?

Yes I have. We used to have a large Japanese community in Milton Keynes (before the financial crash). Like most cultures Japanese cuisine is varied and caters to different 'markets'. You will have a very different experience in a high-end restaurant to one that's catering for a more budget conscious clientele. If you want a reasonably priced lunch or a takeaway, I think the Norwich place is good. 

• Like 1

Next time we visit Norwich Yacht Station, I would very much like to visit the Turkish restaurant that has opened nearby. I think it's called Gem of Norwich and is on the corner near the Railway Station. Hopefully they still do takeaway too.

If you have a Kayak and fancy a trek, The Black Swan a Homersfield (Near Bungay) has become our favourite. 

Bit closer to the broads, At Lowestoft The Hong kong Chinese buffet in the old town is our favourite (it has it's ups and downs but we like it).   Waveney hotel at beccles for a riverside meal.  Dukes head at Somerleyton was amazing but haven't been in there for years so not sure.  Grosvenor fish bar in Norwich. Joyland American diner in Yarmouth does amazing milkshakes but foods average.  

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

Yes I have. We used to have a large Japanese community in Milton Keynes (before the financial crash). Like most cultures Japanese cuisine is varied and caters to different 'markets'. You will have a very different experience in a high-end restaurant to one that's catering for a more budget conscious clientele. If you want a reasonably priced lunch or a takeaway, I think the Norwich place is good. 

Must have caught them on an off day then.

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

Within walking distance of the Commissioner's Cut BA moorings there's the Merchant of Spice, just about the best rated Indian restaurant in Norwich. They also do takeaways.

Unfortunately it looks like we have very different tastes 😳

Was in the Merchant last month and it has done nothing to improve my view of restaurants in Norwich.

It's not quite as good as it was.... I think their main restaurant on Colegate is still better. My office used to be a couple of hundred yards round the corner.

For an Indian, you'll probably want to try them or the Ali Tandoori.

There are many very good restuarants in Norwich. Have you tried Trattoria Rustica, Bishop's Dining Rooms, Benedicts or Roger Hickman's? None of those are particularly cheap but they are popular.

There's also Haggle, Shiki and others.... And there are of course the chains such as Cosy Club, Giggling Squid etc.

I think the main thing is that because it's a very Tudor city and has lots of buildings tucked away then some of the trendier places to eat aren't always immediately obvious.