The Cost Of A Boating Holiday (or Why Some People Might Not Come Back)

catcouk

This subject has been well covered and debated elsewhere but I thought I would document my experience this year from a costs perspective.

We hired the cheapest boat on the Broads for a short break in the Easter school holidays (although some schools hadn't started their holidays yet). Spring Horizon was advertised as being available from £313 but was £370 for when we wanted it. After insurance, waivers, and fuel deposit, it was actually £490 (all add-ons experienced hirers know to expect).

It was quiet whilst we were away so we didn't struggle to find a free mooring overnight at all. The only mooring we did pay for was Salhouse Broad at £2.50 for an hour (£6 for any longer). This did include water though which was the only time we topped up.

And that's it for us. We didn't use much fuel so we even got £18 back. But we have the benefit of experience.

With less experience, we may have needed to pay for overnight moorings at some of the more popular locations. Looks like £15 a night is representative. Assuming the novice boater does that twice, that's an extra £30.

Every time I've taken a boat, the handover person has always advised me to fill up with water daily. At our first stop, that would have been £4 (but I think Ludham Bridge is pretty exceptional). £2 is more likely so that adds another £8 to the trip. I don't think daily top up is necessary though?

Without anything else, a holiday 'from £313' has cost more like £530 (but many holidays face this kind of 'hidden cost' structure). Add to that the potential fuel cost that might be due at the end. Again, first timers might not know to expect that.

I haven't spoken about the cost of food/ eating out/ visiting places because that is everyone's preference. It would also be an additional cost to any holiday. I did speak to a family who were on their second boating holiday and felt that the cost they spent on food was the same as at home but they chose not to eat out (as did we). Perfectly reasonable for keeping costs down but not great for local businesses.

I don't really know if there is a point or opinion I am trying to make here. All holidays cost more than we'd like. The question is, would the average person find value here? Also, does that same average person see a boating holiday as a one off experience regardless of any other factors? I would argue that those on this forum (myself included) are not in a position to consider these points as we clearly share a love for the Broads.

Maybe we find ourselves in a place where those of us that love the Broads will keep coming because we have no other choice. Meanwhile, many of those first timers had no intention to come back anyway as they have their boat holiday and then go on to look for their next experience?

• Like 9

I think that the way things are your cost was reasonable as the boat is also your transport and a large part of your entertainment. Expensive or reasonably priced the turn round cost for the yard ie cleaning laundry and labour time spent with you is probably roughly the same for both . So that is probably factored in as a per person charge. 

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 2

A holiday afloat has never been a cheap option compared to a package holiday or renting a cottage .

A holiday cottage is an appreciating asset as opposed to a river cruiser and also lest likely to have regular maintenance compared to a boat.

A package holiday abroad  can most certainly be a cheaper option but for us holds no fascination , I have visited all corners of the globe and prior to buying our first boat we always ended up either booking a cottage in Norfolk or a boat , if I go abroad I can’t get British ale , I don’t enjoy “fizz” , although likely sunny weather is not guaranteed and the hassle of air travel etc spoils what should be a relaxing time .

We adore Norfolk and especially The Broads , the mooring costs will most certainly change my routine and visits to Ranworth will no longer be as regular as they have been and I will not be visiting establishments which charge £15 not refundable mooring fees.

Womack is still £5 on the staithe and free on the island or dyke moorings all of which we love .

In the summer we usually self-cater , a good home cooked meal or barbecue is significantly better than most the river side offerings anyway (IMHO).

As long as we are able we will continue to spend our free time afloat 

• Like 7

The frequency of water fill ups very much depends on your water usage. If you have a crew all showering every day and you're using water for cooking and washing up as well then a daily top up is a good idea. If you use less, you can refill less although I think only one refill in the week might have been pushing your luck slightly. You did very well spending so little though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

The frequency of water fill ups very much depends on your water usage. If you have a crew all showering every day and you're using water for cooking and washing up as well then a daily top up is a good idea. If you use less, you can refill less although I think only one refill in the week might have been pushing your luck slightly. You did very well spending so little though.

It was only a short break. With just three of us, every two days seems plenty. You're probably right though - if we'd gone with friends, we might have to go daily.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Also the size of your tank, if you use fresh water or river water for toilet flush , electric or manual toilet/s and the efficiency of your water pump.

We used to go just about a week on a full tank with 2 of us on board showering every day plus FW toilet flush. We really noticed the increase in water consumption when we had to replace the FW pump. Then again when we changed over to electric toilets 😳

4 hours ago, catcouk said:

Without anything else, a holiday 'from £313' has cost more like £530 (but many holidays face this kind of 'hidden cost' structure).

Overseas holidays should not, the law changed many years ago to stop holiday companies advertising prices that were not reflective of the actual price you would pay, so any unavoidable room supplements, taxes, etc must be included in the advertised price. How UK holidays get away with all of these things I'm not quite sure.

2 hours ago, Paul said:

Overseas holidays should not, the law changed many years ago to stop holiday companies advertising prices that were not reflective of the actual price you would pay, so any unavoidable room supplements, taxes, etc must be included in the advertised price. How UK holidays get away with all of these things I'm not quite sure.

The wife books those sorts of holidays (not really my thing). I cringe whenever she starts to mention prices and then booking fees and then whatever else. There have been occasions when we've had to pay the city tax on arrival too (but that has only ever been a few quid).

2 hours ago, Paul said:

There is always the option of using either NBD or Ferry to hire from.  Both advertise their prices as ‘all inclusive,’ which I believe include fuel, parking, insurance waiver etc, so there’s no more to pay other than for your food and drink.

To be fair, boating holidays have never been cheap.  I can’t honestly remember how much my dad paid for our first holiday on a Caribbean cruiser back in May 1969, but I’d guess it was around fifty pounds.  He wasn’t on a big wage and it probably equated to around 3 weeks wages.  Assuming the average wage in the UK is around £500 per week, £1500 for a week on a boat at this time of year is probably a similar multiple.

I think they are mostly good value. I would guess a similar holiday is a static caravan (in terms of accomodation) but the view never changes out of the windows with those! Mind you, they are warmer in the morning...

Yet it appears it's always the top end boats which get hired out first. If you try and look for a last minute deal it's all the budget boats which are available.

People in the UK will keep accepting higher cost of living. It's what we do . The French on the other hand seem to protest at any opportunity . It's a strange phenomenon. 

• Like 1

Even if I could afford it, I'd still rather hire one of the classic fleet. I can't lie - microwaves are really useful but otherwise I enjoy the simpler living offered. Also, the interior of many if the newer boats look quite sterile (in my opinion).

• Like 2

On 09/04/2023 at 16:44, Paul said:

Last time we ventured abroad  on a package holiday was to the Balearic islands and, on checking out of our hotel, were stuck with a local "Tourist Tax", which added around £28 per week.  I suspect that, since covid, many other places have indulged in this sort of money-grubbing practice.

I don't know about you guys but financial commitments have just started for me. Not an awareness. Actual. Every single expenditure, no matter what, every thing has gone up. Your river Toll, what is it 13%, 14% ?.

Think yourself lucky that is all that you have to worry about.

Do you guys get a different gas bill, electricity bill, telephone bill,  rates bill than me?

Car fuel bill, insurance bill's.

It will be next year, not this year, when the reality sinks in. When the real impact takes place. When people, like you and I are forced to conform to financial restraint.

Punch will have finished dancing.