Mooring The Boat For Great Yarmouth

Andrewcook

We were moored there on Constellation 2 in 1964 and were hit in the stern by a large wooden cruiser. The transom had a dropped centre section and the result was a split about 10 inches long where the dropped part joined the rest. This was on a boat only about 12 months old.

If we hadn't been aboard we may not have noticed the damage and possibly have been blamed when we returned the boat.

• Like 1

If you fancy a bit more of a challenge you could always go under haven bridge and moor up on south quay, mooring is by lines that hang down and land access is by hideous slimey ladders and it's quite a drop at the best of times.

I once had to get a dog off and back on there so he could relieve himself after eating bits of sun baked crab off the pontoon at wells followed by a fairly lumpy trip back, what he deposited was quite an improvement to yarmouth,it was an exeptionally high spring tide which made getting him off easier but dropping rapidly so had to rugby tackle him off the top of the floodwall and fall back into the boat to get him back on, not something I wish to repeat.

We got enough clearance just after midnight so shot off to berney arms for the night.

Hire boats are not allowed under haven bridge.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Getting into pickle at yarmouth is easy but turn and go against the tide and it gets much easier. 

Yep, I was against the tide but it was flowing strongly, I got the approach wrong and the bow thruster wasn't strong enough to counteract the tide. I was there before low water and should have waited until it slackened later.

2 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Yep, I was against the tide but it was flowing strongly, I got the approach wrong and the bow thruster wasn't strong enough to counteract the tide. I was there before low water and should have waited until it slackened later.

I don’t think I’d feel comfortable using a bow thruster against a strong tide. It’s difficult enough ‘ferry gliding’ the boat into a space using fine adjustments on the wheel and throttle and not to allow the the boat to approach the quay too quickly. I would rather work with the force of the tide, though I have seen people successfully use bow and stern thrusters in such situations.

Funnily enough, in such circumstances I draw on experience of ferry gliding a canoe passing from one side of the river to another, whilst the canoe is facing upstream. A very different river craft, but the principle is the same.

5 hours ago, Broads01 said:

A bow thruster??? Not got one but 2 engines helps.

I have to admit in a side wind a girlie button would make life a lot easier due to no keel whatsoever. 

6 hours ago, YnysMon said:

I don’t think I’d feel comfortable using a bow thruster against a strong tide. It’s difficult enough ‘ferry gliding’ the boat into a space using fine adjustments on the wheel and throttle and not to allow the the boat to approach the quay too quickly. I would rather work with the force of the tide, though I have seen people successfully use bow and stern thrusters in such situations.

Funnily enough, in such circumstances I draw on experience of ferry gliding a canoe passing from one side of the river to another, whilst the canoe is facing upstream. A very different river craft, but the principle is the same.

It hadn't been my intention to use the thruster, it was that the bow had drifted out from the quay and my attempt to use the thruster to bring it back in again was fruitless. I realised quickly and used the engine to get clear and try the approach a second time, by which point the rangers had come to the rescue.

• Like 3