Hi all,

Does anyone know if all Elsian 27's were fitted with pump out toilets.

I am looking at the possibility of buying one that has a Portta Loo and the possibility of fittting a pump out.

My train of though is, if it's had one before, it may make it easier to re-fit rather than start from scratch as it were.

Thanks in advance.

Most boats can have a holding tank and pump out feature. It might have had a thunder box type toilet fitted before I wouldn't be put off buying a boat without a pompous toilet, they are not that expensive to fit one. 

I would say it's highly unlikely that all were fitted with pumpouts, that sort of thing would depend on the customer/use/waterway of the original buyer.

At least a boat without gives you more choice of where to fit things and fittings.

"possibility of fitting a pumpout" could mean it has had a sea toilet in at some stage which can be used with a holding tank as well.

Quite a few just have a sea toilet, so will have a skin fitting in the hull rather than pump-out on the deck.

Given the age of a lot of them, sea toilets would have been extremely common when first built. The original models first produced at Ely probably ended up on the Great Ouse network a lot of the time, so pretty unlikely to have tanks fitted back in those days.

Before we bought Cerise Lady we looked at quite a few Elysians and the majority had sea toilets fitted as opposed to holding tanks , many were also petrol engines which if you are intending to use on the Broads can be problematic as there are no petrol fuel suppliers on the Broads network 

I first came to the Broads in the 1980s when there were still a lot of Elysians on hire. Herbert Woods and Southgates had a lot of them I recall, particularly the centre cockpit variant. By that time a pump out toilet was compulsory so they must have been fitted that way, retrospectively at least.

Yes Cambridgecabby, i have seen a petrol one which has a portaloo, i know that petrol supplies are few and far between around here. That's double wammy because when i had my last boat, that had a porta pottie and it wasn't easy to find somwhere to empty that on the broads either!

Thanks to everyone else for you info as well.

• Like 1

Definitely don't buy a petrol. It's not just the hassle of lugging fuel around, but also the risks. Apart from fire and explosion, it's also associated with a lot of carbon monoxide accidents.

It's a shame - Topsail had what appeared to be really nice original diesel Appleyard built Elysian recently with a holding tank, but they dropped the price and it sold not long after. NYA also sold one recently - again diesel and holding tank. There's plenty around, but you may need to be quick off the mark now heading into prime boat buying season.

• Like 1

Don't worry Dom, i won't be buying a petrol, apart from the lack of supply and carbo monoxide issues i don't like the idea of volotile petrol fumes mixed with gas and the possibility of hydrogen gas from batteries, bit of a boom if it all goes horribly wrong.

And before everyone shouts, i know petrol can be safe but i have this habit of looking at the worst case possible.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ptrehearn152 said:

i have this habit of looking at the worst case possible.

That tends to be the best approach with boats! People go on about boat meaning "Bring out another thousand", but I think it's all too often because they've bought things with rose tinted glasses.

Someone rebuilt an Elysian around Ely way recently (literally every bolt and screw replaced and repainted) and was selling it for pretty sensible money, but I can't find a trace of it now, so it must have sold.

There's another at Potter/Waterside on eBay with a BMC 1.5 and holding tank, but the paintwork looks a bit rough and ready.

• Like 1