New Trading Wherry

Seems a very ambitious plan and some potential pitfalls along the way (not least being funding), but will be interesting to see if the project gains traction.

He is going to have to find a lot of seasoned oak - and a significant amount money! Its not going to look terribly original with portholes!

Methinks it will require a lot of compromises along the way!

• Like 2

I wish him luck, of course . . . . . .

He doesn't say anything more than can be found in the two books he mentions.  I wonder why he is choosing a wherry around the size of the Gleaner, when he could scale it down to a typical north rivers wherry of around 15 to 20 tons.  Then he would have an interesting comparison with the 40 tonners such as Albion and Maud, but only half the materials and cost.

I would guess this (if it ever starts) will be a laminated construction using modern materials.  Unless he wants to wait a few years for the grown oak "crooks" to season?

Has he approached the Wherry Trust about this?

• Like 2

It seems an odd choice to me to do a full build, rather than a restoration, when there's at least one potential candidate still around. Even if you only retain 20% of the original, that's still 20% less material you'd need to source.

What's not clear so far is where he intends to use her, but possibly the Thames from his location and the intended use - which may account for the size. If it's the Broads, the originality of looks could be a critical issue. If it's not a true replica, BA could reasonably argue it's oversize for a lot of areas which have exemptions for classic and replica wherries in the bylaws.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

I wish him luck, of course . . . . . .

He doesn't say anything more than can be found in the two books he mentions.  I wonder why he is choosing a wherry around the size of the Gleaner, when he could scale it down to a typical north rivers wherry of around 15 to 20 tons.  Then he would have an interesting comparison with the 40 tonners such as Albion and Maud, but only half the materials and cost.

I would guess this (if it ever starts) will be a laminated construction using modern materials.  Unless he wants to wait a few years for the grown oak "crooks" to season?

Has he approached the Wherry Trust about this?

If he built one the size of Star then he could use it up the Ant whereas with a 65' boat the bylaws would restrict options 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, C.Ricko said:

If he built one the size of Star then he could use it up the Ant whereas with a 65' boat the bylaws would restrict options 

I'm extremely wary of challenging your knowledge Clive but, (assuming it passes as a replica) isn't it exempt from all length limits by virtue of byelaw 8(e):

Byelaw 7 does not apply to any vessel:

(e) which is
(i) a restored sailing wherry or keel; or
(ii) a replica of a sailing wherry or keel

I believe the exemption had to be included to allow Womack Water/Dyke to be used as a wherry base?

There is actually a more interesting point if, as I interpret things, they're planning to carry freight. The Vessel Dimension Bylaws only apply to pleasure vessels, so I think they'd effectively be free from any limit on length or beam in that case. I think it'd be nice to see from that perspective, helping to curb BA's assertions that the waterways can be maintained to a lesser extent, as they're no longer used commercially.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BrundallNavy said:

Where can you realistically build something that size on the broads. 

I think he intends to do it on the Thames but the question is still the same!  Especially around Windsor.

23 hours ago, dom said:

I'm extremely wary of challenging your knowledge Clive but, (assuming it passes as a replica) isn't it exempt from all length limits by virtue of byelaw 8(e):

I believe the exemption had to be included to allow Womack Water/Dyke to be used as a wherry base?

There is actually a more interesting point if, as I interpret things, they're planning to carry freight. The Vessel Dimension Bylaws only apply to pleasure vessels, so I think they'd effectively be free from any limit on length or beam in that case. I think it'd be nice to see from that perspective, helping to curb BA's assertions that the waterways can be maintained to a lesser extent, as they're no longer used commercially.

I think that's a good challenge!

Sadly I suspect its immaterial  although I would like to be found to be wrong again!

• Like 1

Hello everyone, 

I'm the chap who's building Lady Garnet, just found this thread so thought I would answer some questions. 

I did consider a restoration, but the only candidate, Lord Roberts, is almost certainly beyond restoration, or even if she is restorable, it would cost more and take longer than a new build.

I am building her on the Thames, as that is where I live and work. I have found a suitable place to do the build, I am just in the middle of applying for planning permission to build a large tent to house the build.

The mast will be a challenge, I've never tackled a spar of that size before, but I am a trained boatbuilder so this isn't the same as a completely novice trying to build a wherry! 

The Wherry Trust is aware of the build, as I am a volunteer with NWT. 

The exact look of the cabinsides (or standing and shifting right-ups) is something I have been debating. Since I will be living on the wherry as well as carrying cargo, there is a slight hint of pleasure wherry in her, which shows up only in the varnished cabinsides with windows. But part of me wants to change that and have the traditionally painted right ups. 

I will be trying to keep everything as traditional as possible. I wasn't going to use crooks as they are very hard to come by, but I have actually heard from a tree surgeon who has mentioned that he will be cutting down two oaks and will have some crooks. I am hoping to be able to have a look at them. So there may be some crooks but otherwise the frames will be laminates - although thicker laminations for frames go back quite a long way, and there is no need to slap epoxy in-between them, I could go with a more traditional bedding compound. 

And yes, this is going to be very expensive, but I have a fundraising plan and I'm determined to see this project through. 

• Like 19