D Day

I watched a lot of it this morning; very moving. 

I just can’t imagine the incredible strategic thinking and organisation, let alone the massive amount of willing manpower, happening in today’s changed times. 

Let’s just pray (religiously or not) that it is never needed. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

My Cousin is in Normandy for the week and is posting regular updates on Facebook.  It actually looks like the invasion is taking place now as there are re-enactment groups all over the place driving jeeps, trucks etc.

80 years ago today my dad was sitting in a truck with his brother a few miles away in a tank and a couple of cousins scattered somewhere. They were both awaiting their turn to cross the channel as part of the follow up to D-Day. My Granddad was putting his feet up after helping to train the landing craft crews!

image.thumb.png.33c56bad77361ffbf0e4b978199e8221.png

Sainte-Mere-Eglise is heaving!

image.thumb.png.db1418309846b6ab8c4a64ba2f0f6433.png

image.thumb.png.3ef35b6223912f0e75ec7388f03fa0a8.png

image.thumb.png.8a13701dd5c184388ed531f395fee730.png

• Like 7

If any goes to Statforshire war memorial it's a Big War Grave. That enough to make any one weep from First World young Soldiers died from the age six teen god almighty and the Second world war from Different Countries god bless them all.

• Like 4

We had a church service with the children yesterday, I think it's important they learn how we gained our freedom because of those brave souls who fought for it.

On Saturday there will be a march along the sea front of Veterans and Uniformed groups. We shall go along and show our support

I am not religious but bless all of them, the ones that were lost and the few Veterans that are still with us today, the terrible things they witnessed and went through should never be forgotten

Grace x

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Gracie said:

We had a church service with the children yesterday, I think it's important they learn how we gained our freedom because of those brave souls who fought for it.

On Saturday there will be a march along the sea front of Veterans and Uniformed groups. We shall go along and show our support

I am not religious but bless all of them, the ones that were lost and the few Veterans that are still with us today, the terrible things they witnessed and went through should never be forgotten

Grace x

Thank you Gracie for those words.   Brings a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes.   It was a privilege to see the old gentlemen wearing their medals, all so proud, and all looking so well for their age.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Seeing and hearing Tom Jones sing , made me wonder how he held it together to be able to sing a song like that on this occasion.       After hearing our National Anthem ,  I assume it was the Red Arrows, who flew overhead with their Red White and Blue trails and that was it ,  I was gone again and in tears.    

For those who would like to hear Tom   https://youtu.be/VaktvsDwZ6I

• Like 2
  • Love 2

If anyone hasn't watched the "Unheard tapes" d-day thing on bbc it's very well done and certainly an eye opener as to what was faced.

Well worth watching, I always think anyone that has run headlong into a sh*tstorm like that is worth listening too.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Smoggy said:

If anyone hasn't watched the "Unheard tapes" d-day thing on bbc it's very well done and certainly an eye opener as to what was faced.

Well worth watching, I always think anyone that has run headlong into a sh*tstorm like that is worth listening too.

Thank you , will have a look.

Wow! How very poignant Mark, could have been so different if we hadn't won our freedom. Very powerful 

I went to the Parade along the sea front yesterday, it was very moving, the uniformed groups looked amazing but no more so than some of the old soldiers with their medals 

Well done and thank you to all of them, a simple thank you doesn't seem much for what they did and sacrificed 

Grace x

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ExSurveyor said:

I have just come across these now and then photos of the Normandy beaches that I posted on FB in 2016.

Those photos are extremely moving. Thankyou. 

• Like 1