Fag Paper to Spare!

NorfolkNog

good skills, unlike the call i got on friday the chaps boat fit under a bridge but the solar panel that was flat on roof (no more than 2" high) diddnt! Guess he may want to add 2" to the boats draft lable!!

I do admire the skills of a bridge pilot, but i do think it helps if your the employee of a firm, as the boat is not yours ad you know the yard have your back if it goes wrong.

what was on the bridge gauge that day

It would be interesting to know Rod. I reckon if Royalls called them back it must have shot up a fair bit.

The Faircraft Loynes guys took us through in May when levels were fairly high and I did notice that they gave it a good blast of throttle too. I’d be interested to know the theory behind it.

cheersbar

Back in 2007, we hired from Connisuer at Wroxham (or whatever they were called then).... there guy took us through the bridge and opened up the throttle just as the bow went through... whe I asked he said it keeps teh stern down....

On tight narrow bridges such as Wroxham and Potter Heigham, I have seen this on many canals. you go fast and the momentum takes you to the centre of the bridge and the water is sucked out from under the boat lowering it.

After saying that there is a difference betwwen a 20 tons steel narrow boat and GRP cruiser and in the case of hire craft it is best left to the pilots at Wroxham & Potter Heigham or in the case of Royall's their pilot.

Regards

Alan

ive watched that video again & still can't believe the speed that he was doing, i would be curious to see the reaction that he would have got from the river patrol, coming through that fast, it could have been dangerous, say if a boat had been trying to turn around down there, as there's not much of a turning circle at wroxham near the bridge. lori

ive watched that video again & still can't believe the speed that he was doing, i would be curious to see the reaction that he would have got from the river patrol, coming through that fast, it could have been dangerous, say if a boat had been trying to turn around down there, as there's not much of a turning circle at wroxham near the bridge. lori

Lozi,

Personally I suspect that there was a bit of an inconsistancy in the frame rate between the phone used to record the video and the rate at which the web-site played it back.

i.e. Yes the boats came through fast, but on the web-site replay they appeared faster than they actually were.

Be interesting to know what was on the bridge gauge that day.

But Why Full speed????

I have taken Sally under Wroxham with an inch to spare but never at full speed.

Rod

I've looked at it several times, Rod and I reckon it shows 6ft 3ins or a tad over... the bow certainly does seem higher at that speed! And as you say, with an Alpha FD the bow is usually higher anyway.........

And probably David's right! :naughty::naughty::naughty:

I've watched the Martham crew do a similar thing a few times with their boats at Potter. They load the boat with people and take a long run and go at full speed. Impressive to watch especially after they land and all these folk suddenly appear and get off!

I think its simple really, these people know their own boats very well and how they respond and behave.

Trevor

www.normanboats.co.uk