So Silly

Hylander

Friends of ours were moored at P'heigham last night and still at 11 last night the boat in front had kids running around on top of the roof no life jackets on. Friends were having kittens that something dreadful would happen if one of them slipped bearing in mind how damp it was. Really would not want that next to me if double moored , bad enough with it in front. Thought kids were at school at the moment.

That's a very responsible attitude to take. So if, unbeknown to you, one of your children did get into a spot of bother and had an accident of some sort, you'd expect us to say 'Not one of mine - not my responsibilty', as we watched him/her go down for the third time.

That's a very responsible attitude to take. So if, unbeknown to you, one of your children did get into a spot of bother and had an accident of some sort, you'd expect us to say 'Not one of mine - not my responsibilty', as we watched him/her go down for the third time.

Of course not. If something happened I would hope that somebody would assist. But that is totally different to "having kittens" about something that may not happen.

Where do you stop worrying? What if they had just need sitting on the roof? What if they had LJ's on?

Damned if you don't, damned if you do! Can't win!

If I had been moored next to that boat I would have been far too angry about the parents, to be worrying about their kids. Of course I'd have reacted if one of the kids had fallen in, but by all that's holy, I'd be arrested for what I'd have then said to the parents afterwards.

I know I am a worrier but having children myself albeit grown up with little uns of their own I still worry that they will slip and fall in. kids do not see the danger. Like others I think the parents were a bit daft to leave them alone on the boat.

:norty:

Im with Matt here My kids know better and if they tried it they would have me to deal with, but at 11 they would be in bed!! leave them too it it if you say something you are just open to abuse at least.

If i Heard a AAAAARGH followed by SPLASH Id be the first to leap to their aid and if i had to get freezing cold and wet doing it then so be it, it wouldn't be the first time i have had to go it!

There are truly better things to do than worry about what might might happen, If your that bothered and really couldn't let it go then call the old bill and spend a bit of tax payers money tell them there is a pubic disturbance and a danger to life! then top up your glass.

Where do you stop worrying?

Excessive and debilitating worry or fear is recognised as a mental disorder, so just to tell someone to stop worrying is rather patronising.

I used to be a great worrier and I was given the advice that there are two sorts of life situation, one about which you can do something, and the other about which you can do nothing. If it is the former, get up and do what is necessary; if it's the latter, all the worrying in the world won't change it, so there is no point in worrying. Over-simplification, perhaps, but it has helped me through the various crises I have been through in my life.

In this case, perhaps 'worried' should be replaced by 'concerned'.

Of course you are right Paladine, but telling somebody to stop worrying, is one of those automatic phrases, like seeing someone immediately after they've had an accident people say "Are you alright".

I find my life has become so much easier to live now that I have accepted that I'm both arrogant and patronising. Being condescending comes naturally to me. Now, you do know what I mean by "Condescending" don't you.

Of course you are right Paladine, but telling somebody to stop worrying, is one of those automatic phrases, like seeing someone immediately after they've had an accident people say "Are you alright".

I find my life has become so much easier to live now that I have accepted that I'm both arrogant and patronising. Being condescending comes naturally to me. Now, you do know what I mean by "Condescending" don't you.

If we had a facebook style 'like' button on here i would have just clicked it!

?So to worry is to be sneared at. Last time I post on here.

Dont stop posting, but people wont always post in agreement of your own outlook, we just all see things a different way I think.

I think if you re-read you will see that no offence was intended whatsoever, I certainly didn't see any.

Dan

Sorry If my posts came across wrong. I was just trying to point out that everybody sees things differently and has a different outlook on life.

If your friends had been moored elsewhere they would have still been playing on the roof but your friends would have been none the wiser so why worry about it?

Hylander,

I had to say this to a member of NBF a while back, and I hope you take my point in the spirit it is given.

You have views, and those views are important. Sometimes they will not be agreed with, and sometimes you will receive replies you will not like, but they are still your views and they are still important.

If you stop posting, your views will not be heard, and so cannot possibly do any good. For all you know, this thread may lead to someone instructing their child to wear a lifejacket when playing on the roof. You will never know! You may have saved a life. you will never know!

The price you pay for your views will always be the risk of ridicule, only the risk mind you, rarely will it be a price you actually pay. The possible rewards you can reap are inestimable. Sadly you may never find out if you have been paid.

In my opinion, nothing has been said that has born the intention of any ridicule whatsoever (but that is just my view). Keep posting and don't disappear in a fit of peek. That does nobody any good.