Sea Toilets

Guest mrw5646

I'm not sure if its actually illegal on the Broads, but it certainly is on other inland waterways like the Thames. Converting to a holding tank isn't a particularly big job (no pun intended) just requiring a diverter valve, tank and pump-out fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been back in touch with the broker NYA Horning and they confirm it is OK to use sea toilets on the broads. I have now asked the broads authority for confirmation

• 3 months later...

If I remember correctly, only Yachts are allowed to use sea toilets on the Broads, if you have one fitted on a Cruiser the Seacock has to be wired shut, if you have the dual one then the diverter valve has to be wired shut so that it only pumps into the holding tank,,,,

9.2 Sanitation systems
9.2.1 Is a valve fitted in the discharge line of any toilet appliance or toilet holding tank with 
overboard discharge?

Check all toilets and toilet holding tanks for 
the presence of an overboard discharge line.
If present, check for the presence and condition 
of a valve installed in the discharge line.
All toilets and toilet holding tanks having an overboard 
discharge line must have a valve fitted in the discharge line.
The valve and connections must be complete and leak-free.
Applicability – valves must not be operated.
Applicability – the diverter valves to toilet holding tanks not capable of being discharged overboard satisfy this 
check.
Applicability –discharge outlets having a ‘tools-to-remove’ cap, and overboard discharge lines from toilet 
holding tanks discharged solely by shore-side pumping arrangements, are not subject to this check.
Examiner action – if toilet waste is determined to be escaping into the watercourse contact the BSS Office and 
take the relevant actions described in Appendix B. If the arrangements inevitably result in toilet waste 
discharging overboard contact the BSS Office

Simples really! 
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi, while on the subject of sea toilets, my boat used to have a sea toilet but was removed before I bought her but the pipe fittings were left in place without being capped. Does anyone know what sort of caps I will need and where could I get them from pleasepost-17992-0-32058400-1376320222_thumb.j

fitting a marine toilet

4. Through Hull Fittings

YOU WILL need:

• 19mm (3/4") bore seacock for the flushing water inlet, and, if you are discharging the waste overboard, a 38 mm (11/2") bore seacock for the waste outlet.
  • Follow the seacock manufacturer's own instructions concerning materials and methods of installation.
  • Ensure the inlet seacock is positioned where it will be below the waterline at all times when the craft is underway, and also ensure that any outlet seacock is both aft of, and higher than, the inlet seacock.

so I presume you will need blanking caps to fit a 19mm (3/4") bore seacock for the flushing water inlet

and  a 38 mm (11/2") bore seacock for the waste outlet.

I would try preachments on the riverside estate  brundall 01603 714077

they would probably have an answer.

fitting a marine toilet

so I presume you will need blanking caps to fit a 19mm (3/4") bore seacock for the flushing water inlet

and  a 38 mm (11/2") bore seacock for the waste outlet.

I would try preachments on the riverside estate  brundall 01603 714077

they would probably have an answer.

not 19mm, the other post was correct with the sizes being BSP ('British standard pipe' I thinks) the reference to the thread pattern is not a measurement in diameter so 3/4" BSP and does not mean 3/4" or 19mm diameter. sorry to sound picky!  most common hull fittings would be 3/4" BSP and 1 1/2"BSP.  But you might easily have 1"BSP and 2" BSP (if that what the installer had handy!!)

1 1/2" BSP measures 1 7/8" - 2" ish diameter from memory.  I suppose I could get of my but and go measure one!!

According to Wikipedia!

Two types of threads are distinguished:

Parallel ('straight') threads, British Standard Pipe Parallel thread (BSPP; originally also known as[1] British Standard Pipe Fitting thread/BSPF and British Standard Pipe Mechanical thread/BSPM), which have a constant diameter; denoted by the letter G.

Taper threads, British Standard Pipe Taper thread (BSPT), whose diameter increases or decreases along the length of the thread; denoted by the letter R.

All I can say is that I am still glad that we still use these imperial measurements for things that count.

We engineers still use BSP, BSW, BSF, BA, UNC,UNF and the odd metric size.

Regards

Alan

Confusing, isn't it !   :)

I've always done my own house plumbing jobs and have got quite used to BSP fittings, so the transition into boat and engine pipework was reasonably painless.

But when I bought my first Volvo Penta V6 engine, I discovered the american NPT "National Pipe Thread".  

Almost interchangeable with BSP taper, but not quite. It can be roughly screwed in with some sizes, but the thread profile is slightly different, even though the diameter and pitch are exactly the same.

Sorry, this has nothing to do with Sea Toilets or capping the connections, but I thought I'd add it, just in case anyone tries to fit drain taps to a Volvo Penta or Mercruiser Vee engine, like I did.

(I had to buy the damn things direct from the USA in the finish !)