Seal in Reedham

MikeO

Not sure if it's common or not.

Went to check the boat out at the weekend and ended up in The Ship - as you do! Looked across and thought there was some sacking on the timber work by the swing bridge - until it moved, then realised it was a seal basking in the winter sun.

Clearly not bothered by trains or people - I did take a photo on my phone, but as it was directly into the sun it is very poor.

post-1911-136713960756_thumb.jpg

We were lucky enough to spot a pair of Otters playing early last season on Womack water, they where out amongst the Treeroots, on the bank opposite the Staithe, at around 6am one morning, as we walked our dog down from Danny's Paddock :)

Julz :wave

i remember quite a few years back one very cold winter there was a big old seal

striping out all the big pike in norwich

he was seen all over the broads and it looked like he was cruising the whole navigation in a night

i was in a boat that was 30 tons of steel at the time and the surge when he passed at speed was impressive

jill

We have seen the seal at Reedham on numerous occasions. Quite a shock when you first see one!

When we were selling HJ2 a couple of years ago, we pulled out of Reedham Marina on a river trial with a potential purchaser and instantly see the seal playing in front of us, well, that was HJ2 sold then. :)

cheersbar

• 4 weeks later...
I have heard there are otters in Reedham now as well. Lovely to see them!

If you're an Otter Spotter Mark :-)

I saw one dead opposite the Woods End Pub going into the riverbank, Also this year there were Kingfishers outside the shop.

Rich

When we were on Swallow last May, we were cruising up the Yare approaching the Beauchamp Arms when i saw what i first thought was a black bin bag floaing in mid stream. When we got a bit closer, the supposed "bin bag" moved suddenly and went under water. I called Karen over to look, and just as we came to the pub, it suddenly surfaced right on our port beam about 20ft away. I think that seal must have been the biggest i`ve ever seen, its head was massive, but i did`nt have my camera ready to hand. I wastotally shocked, as i had no idea seals would venture so far up river.

As for Otters, down here in not so sunny Dorset (and Hampshire), otters are becoming a major pest, with many different groups calling for a localised official cull.They`re becoming so overpopulated, they`re actually killing their own species in territorial wars. We`ve actually had them patrolling the drainage ditches on the airport ground, and many of the fishing clubs have reported a serious loss in fish stocks. They look cute and cuddly, but they`re scavengers which kill fish and leave them.

Regards to all ................... Neil.