Beccles Resricted Moorings

Hockham Admiral

Here are a few pics of the new restricted moorings at Beccles. They are situated just before you pass under the new road bridge coming up-river to Beccles. Please note that they are "Restricted" and that overnight moorings are available 100 yards on under the bridge. The BA Ranger has issued written warnings this week..... P1040638_zpsb7dd8bac.jpg P1040640_zpsda093482.jpg P1040641_zpsc5477bf2.jpg

So you cannot moor there at all now unless you are lowing your mast or you own the QE2 and cannot get any further down the river.   So this will be reserved for very tall boats.     I can see it now full of very expensive high boats.

That looks better! But whats happened to those boats that

were always moored there? I'm assuming that they were 

locals as some never seemed to move at all, and where

did they go?

Mind you, I can forsee some empty spaces along there

staying empty! There's not many boats going down there

that can't get under the road bridge. Maybe wasted space?

Good photo's John

You are right there always used to be quite a high and very nice large boat always moored there at one time.     We rather gathered it didn't want to pay a mooring fee like everyone else.    There doesn't appear to be a restriction on that sign as to how long you can stay.   Rather open to abuse.

You are right there always used to be quite a high and very nice large boat always moored there at one time.     We rather gathered it didn't want to pay a mooring fee like everyone else.    There doesn't appear to be a restriction on that sign as to how long you can stay.   Rather open to abuse.

Unfortunately I've cut off that part... 24 hours as usual.

So you cannot moor there at all now unless you are lowing your mast or you own the QE2 and cannot get any further down the river.   So this will be reserved for very tall boats.     I can see it now full of very expensive high boats.

Well they've got to moor somewhere if they want to visit Beccles!... In the pic above there are two yachts and one quite old "expensive high boat". :Stinky

No-one has said anything about lowering masts... some Yotties just want to visit Beccles as well! :Sailing

I would have thought that having some where designated to lower your mast was a very good idea, coupled with the fact that very high boats now have a bolt hole to head for.      I am pleased it does say 24 hr mooring only.        We need all the trade we can bring to Beccles please,  Lovely town and never disappoints.

• Like 2

We need all the trade we can bring to Beccles please,  Lovely town and never disappoints.

Quite so! I think that Seppings in Hungate is the best butchers I've been in...anywhere! (Their Chip-Shop sausages are the biz!).

I also dropped into the Kings head, as Paul suggested:

12 different real ales!

Adnams May Day & Ghost Ship (I had one of each for lunch)

Parity Mad Moose, 4.2%

Blindman's Golden Spring, 4%

Matilda's revenge, 4.3%

Mild Mayhem 3.5%

Titanic Mild

Wherry & Ruddles Best

All at £2.29

And for those who like the stronger ales, Abbot, Nog and Marston's Old Empire at 5.7%! ice slice  :dance  cheers

(if it wasn't pouring down with rain I'd be cycling up there now cheersbar )

• Like 3

Please correct me if I am wrong, these moorings have always had the restricted mooring signs on them, or at least for as long as I can remember, the last 5 years or so??

Not so, Jupes.

I was talking to Steve Wright (the local BA Ranger) today and he told me he only pasted the "Restricted" bit over the "Free Moorings" recently.

If you look closely at the pic you can see that.

• 3 weeks later...

windmill, Hi and a belated "welcome aboard" from us.

If you feel as strongly as some then you only have to call Broads Control (01603 756056) and they will be moved pretty sharpish.

The local Ranger has already given written warnings and if  the BA choose to prosecute the fine can be up to £1000.

These peeps are just freeloaders who object to paying the £8 to moor at the Yacht Station.

There was a Bridgecraft boat moored there today and it looked as if they had 'gone off' for the day.   It was the only boat there.        I wonder if the Ranger had  given him a ear wigging when he returned as he went up the Waveney like a bat out of hell.       Is it worth it for £8 or whatever it is to moor in the harbour?

M

Giving a hirer an ear wigging achieves nothing. They just

b****r off somewhere else and do the same there. Gone

home again in a few days. Fine them more than the YS fee

and they won't do it again, and tell others what happened to them.

£10 sounds about right for not being able to read signs.  two guns

Pity clamping don't work on boats  :naughty:

Hello Bill,

I tend to agree and I would prefer to be safe in the marina with an electrical hook up and look forward to a shower in the morning. The touble is that everyone does not have the same values.

Yes a fine would help but I think you would find that it may not be limited to hire craft, prior to the work being done there seemed to be a lot of permanent mooring there even though these moorings have been 24 hours for years. 

Regards

Alan

We to would prefer to be in the yacht station but over the course of a week on the south side mooring fees can add up and I am sure so some people it all adds up to the cost of a holiday. Obviously you have the choice of where to moor and therefore pay but there are fees at the following:

-Beccles

-Oulton

-Norwich

-WRC

All places that we as a family like to stop at and so far that must be £40 give or take electric.

That's a very interesting comment, Matt. If you throw in leccy it's nearer £50, isn't it? Which is that much less to spend on grub or beer.

We do occasionally moor on the floating pontoon by the lido in Beccles. We've never been charged. Also mooring at Thorpe, just outside Norwich, is free and buses pass by frequently. Of course you need a boat with a sub 7ft airheight.

That's a very interesting comment, Matt. If you throw in leccy it's nearer £50, isn't it? Which is that much less to spend on grub or beer.

We do occasionally moor on the floating pontoon by the lido in Beccles. We've never been charged. Also mooring at Thorpe, just outside Norwich, is free and buses pass by frequently. Of course you need a boat with a sub 7ft airheight.

The other place I forgot is Great Yarmouth. I am sure plenty of families stop in Yarmouth for the day.

Still, at least Reedham is free moorings........

We were charged last year at the Lido. The money was

being collected by the guy running the Big Dog Ferry.

If you are just waiting for the tide to get under the

bridge(and not shopping!) he doesn't charge.

Alan, I know what you mean about those boats. Some

looked as if they hadn't moved in years. Not a pretty site

coming into Beccles. Removing that wreck from down

river was a good start.

Like it or not, the locals will have to move their boats

somewhere more suitable.