First timer...

sihod

HI all.... Sorry if yr all sick to death of people asking advice..but here goes.... Me n. My daughter ( 11 ). Are going on the broads in July... She's horses mad... We are planning ning to do the north broads on San Fernando.... Any advice on the north broads would be great... And any riding schools along the way???... We plan to A... Start at Stalham.... And B... Eat in a pub each night... Apart from that.... Who knows.... Ohh and I've enjoyed the blogs of London rascal so much... May do a wigan dads blogs of our northern tour?!!... Any advice greatly received.

hi si

i found these through google

Swafield Riding Address Swafield House
Swafield
North Walsham
North Walsham traffic news
Norfolk
NR28 0QT Phone Number 01692 402348

D J Norton & Partners Address Grange Farm
Martham
Repps Road
Great Yarmouth
Great Yarmouth traffic news
Norfolk
NR29 4RA

Phone Number 01493 740245

Crossways Livery Yard Address Lound Road
Browston
Great Yarmouth
Great Yarmouth traffic news
Norfolk
NR31 9DS Phone Number 01493 781531

Hello Si,

First of all the boat you are on is handy as it will (water levels permitting) get under all the bridges.  Depending on how much time you want to be spending ‘at the wheel’ greatly influences how much you will be able to do and I suspect with an 11 year old in tow, they may get a little fed up if you are spending too many hours going along and not enough time doing things on the shore so to speak.

There are a bunch of pubs to pick from – you’ve got the Dog Inn a short walk from Ludham Bridge, you can also head up to Dilham should you wish to the Cross Keys – but there is of course the White Horse at Netisihead too – Sutton Staithe hotel at Sutton Staithe... So just a short distance from your base of Stalham you’ve got a good choice of places you can see – and once there pop off for food and drink.  Past that you have at Potter Heigham  the Falgate Inn which is about 10-15 min walk from the old road bridge (if you walk away from the bridge with Lathams on your left-hand side) – lovely food here. 

Malters at Ranworth Staite, King Arms a short walk from Womack Water – Ferry Inn, The Swan and The New Inn all in Horning.  As you can see most places are within a few minutes walk of a pub – just have a look at places you wish to visit on Google Maps – then see what is about – pubs and so on, how far from the river they are – some have moorings right outside such as the Ferry or Bridge Inn at Acle. 

You may be surprised how quickly you get to places but also how long it may take to get to others. For example from Horning to Wroxham is just over an hour but should you place to got from Wroxham to Potter Heigham in one go you are looking at getting on for 4 hours.

It is really hard to give you a good plan of what to do, where to go – a bit like something who loves Ford and trying to tell someone who loves Renault why they need to get a Ford lol – one thing that does stand out that you and your daughter may enjoy which is often missed off peoples itinerates is the Bure Valley Railway – a short walk from Wroxham Town Centre (like literally a short walk) it is a narrow gauge steam railway and very much a good little ride. 

Try not to plan too much though – and have a look at www.mynorfolkbroadsboating.co.uk as that has guides and cruising times between places to get an idea how long places will take to get to and better plan your time away. Have a great time!

• Like 1

Hello Si, Welcome to the forum from me too.

You`ve picked a great place to start from, as the Ant is one of my favourite rivers. It`s quite narrow, so less daunting for a 1st timer. For a 1st night, i`d recommend the cruise to Dilham, which is through Waford Bridge. It`s usually a lot less busy than lower down the Ant, which will give you a bit more peace and quiet, and it`s not far from North Walsham where one of the riding stables mentioned by Jill is based, so an easy taxi ride.

If you`re into fishing, the Northern Broads and rivers are very well known for their excellent sport, with the Ant being a favourite for big bream, but all other spicies are widespread.

If you`re into wildlife, then keep a look out for all the different species of birds, such as swallows, Marsh Harriers, and that special one, the Kingfisher, which we`ve often seen on the upper reaches of the Ant. There`s also millions of Ducks, Coots, Moorhens, Geese, and Swans, which can often be found hanging around when food is around.

One other bit of advice is to make sure you understand how to read bridge height gauges, which are always found on approach to the bridges. Quite a number of people have made the mistake of reading them "upside down" thinking they have insufficent headroom, where in fact, they may have nearly a foot to spare. Quite simply, they are measured from the underside of the bridge DOWNWARDS, though as Robin says, you should`nt have any trouble with San Fernando, and to back up another one of Robins comments, try not to plan too much, just go with the flow, and enjoy yourselves.

Regards, and have a great time .......................... Neil.

Hello Si,

Welcome to the forum, Jill, Robin and Neil have given you good advice.

All I can add is be safe on the boat at all times, if advice or help is offered by fellow boaters be inclined to take it, it is best to check your ropes to make sure they are good, when I take a rope and the crew is ashore I han the rope to them to tie off.

A rope once ashore always helps with mooring and there are places where there are currents that will effect mooring.

On the Northern Rivers is the Green at Horning, Stokesby outside the pub to name but a few.

Have a good holiday.

Regards

Alan

Thanks all..... Very good advice... Checking on the riding school now... Also found one near Acle... 

If you`re going to Acle, remember to moor in "Horizon" boats yard upriver from the bridge, as it`s the sister yard to Richardsons where you`ve hired from. There`s also a good pub serving good food right next to the bridge, so you`llget free moorings, a meal in the pub, and the chance to take your daughter riding. 3 out of 3 can`t be bad eh?.

One last thing,  ALWAYS ALWAYS ENSURE YOU AND YOUR CREW KNOW HOW TO, AND ARE WEARING YOUR LIFE JACKETS WHILE MOVING AROUND THE DECKS, OR MOORING UP, especially as you`re both inexperienced.. In wet conditons, the decks can be slippery, so always have one hand on the grab rails when moving around on deck, and wear some good deck suitable footwear, and if in any doubt, don`t hesitate to phone your hire base to ask their advice as to what typt of footwear is most suitable for your boat

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...