can we talk about the ole days ......................

650xs

Having a great time in The Horseshoes at Wroxham.

More great times in the Bure Court Hotel, Wroxham.

Norwich Bitter - yuk !

Stocking up at Sims Stores  and the Wavy Line supermarket at Horning.

Playing bar billiards in the Swan at Horning, do any tables still exist anywhere ?

Saucy Gem 3 and Fine Gem 5 from Richardsons, our first boating holidays in '79 and '81 (Made a change from the hire cottages).

Being able to take hire boats under Wroxham bridge without a pilot, not exactly rocket science.

All those stuffed Pike in the Ferry and Swan, and the cast iron pub tables based on cricket things in the front bar, whatever happened to proper atmospheric pubs ?

Lathams amazing fishing section in the 70's, all those huge american pike lures .

Being able to actually get a mooring at Ranworth Staithe.

Wonderful times , all.

Three photos from gentler times.

First Womack, notice side on mooring. 1953

Second Ludham Bridge, hard work filling those tanks.

Third 1938 White Moth sailing round the corner in Horning by the little mill just before the ferry.

Please note despite the way I look and move I was not involved with  the taking of the 1938 photo.

post-40-0-70075300-1412337468_thumb.jpeg

post-40-0-93536800-1412337537_thumb.jpeg

post-40-0-40978200-1412337672_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

"Watneys Norwich Bitter, rabbit pie in the Black Horse on the Horning to Wroxham road".

Is the Norwich Bitter linked to the Black Horse, Steve? Bearing in mind the Black Horse was a Lacons/Whitbread pub, not Watneys/Grandmet.

No indeed Labrador. Although Norwich Bitter was near ubiquitous, the Black Horse sold proper beer. I think it was Adnams or Greene King when we last visited. 

Hi Windmill

That looks a lot like a place we visited in 1972 at St Olaves,Sign on main river said bar, family room, showers etc, we moored up there one night, went to find the family room which was a wooden shed between the moorings and the pub, with an old settee and chair, both covered in animal hairs. So we sat outside the pub when I went to the bar for drinks there was a donkey in the pub, so I assume the family room doubled up as a stable. Needless to say we just had one drink then back to the boat.

Ron