BBQ

Happy

Has anyone purchased a 'cobb' type BBQ?  I started looking for a new barbie to use on the boat and came across these cobbs.  Seem like they could be good, especially for the boat.  Would appreciate 

some feed back before I take the plunge.  Thanks.  Regards Alan  cheers  :wave

Thanks John.  On your reccomendation I'll get one and bring it to the meet in May.  If I cant work out how to use it I can get p....d while you show me!  Regards Alan 

cheers  :wave

Hi Alan.

I was watching a programme about caravanning the other day ( possibly on Quest).  The cobb bbq was shown and it sounds really good....cool to the touch on the outside when in use.

The problem is that there were loads of the series all shown on the same day but you may be able to find it on demand or catchup.

Thanks guys.  Shopped around obviously (tight bugger!) and have ordered one off e bay.  Give me (or Eve) chance to practice before May!  Thanks again.  Regards Alan.  cheers  :wave

Cobbs are brilliant, but just make sure you stock up on the Cobblestones when you get a chance. Last year there was a shortage of them and all the usual online retailers were sold out.

Also, take your time cooking! I usually spatchcock a whole chicken which takes a couple of hours to cook, and also put potatoes in the moat in the bottom for lovely roast/jacket type spuds which are basted in all the cooking juices from the chicken. Also done lamb joints which I wrap in foil and leave for 3 hours!

DON'T DO THIS AT HOME!!  Thank you all again for your input.  This is going to make me out to be a real plonker, but here goes-as stated I purchased my Cobb BBQ and as the wife was working on Sunday decided to have a play and cook a whole chicken.  Got the chicken prepared with herbs and spices, unpacked the new packet of cobblestones and placed one in the basket.  Thinking back to a couple of threads reference lighting with a blow lamp, I searched for a lighter.  Having given up smoking some two years ago, no lighter was to be found..  Then, idea. Place the basket over a flame on the gas hob indoors and light the cobblestone, not a good idea!  The thing ignited like a rocket going off, I dropped the basket, fortunately onto the hob and the flames eventually died down enough to move the basket outside and place into the BBQ..  I am so pleased I did this at home and not in the boat galley as the outcome may have been slightly different!  Anyway, when cooked the chicken was great and my 'mates' had a great laugh when I related the story to them later in the pub.

Regards Alan. :shocked  cheersbar

• Like 1

Not such a daft idea as you think, Alan! A couple of years ago, the cobblestones were quite a pig to light, and I found the only way to do it was exactly what you have done. Back then, they lit fairly sedately and just smouldered. Then they changed either the manufacturer or the content of the stones, and are now far easier to light.

Needless to say, the preferred method is now a lighter!