a case of mis information

Chelsea14Ian

She's about 28 feet on deck from memory, but has long 'overhangs' at both ends, so waterline length (which governs hull speed)  I'm guessing at no more than 18 feet, so that would be no more than 6mph using the formula

debe7ac296f4be93d2afae178fa37969.png

Thank you for that. Perhaps you're being a bit generous. I don't think there's more than a total of 8 feet overhang, which would, using that formula, put the hull speed at around 7mph. Which would probably account for the bow wave and wash.

post-117-0-93570400-1410894095_thumb.jpe

Thank you for that. Perhaps you're being a bit generous. I don't think there's more than a total of 8 feet overhang, which would, using that formula, put the hull speed at around 7mph. Which would probably account for the bow wave and wash.

My photo of her under power shows her tilted up slightly at the bow, so the bow wave may be slightly longer than her LWL, so the multiplier could then be as much as 1.5.

Possible, but very inefficient with the deep wash. Though it's only wind that's being wasted ! :)

My photo of her under power shows her tilted up slightly at the bow, so the bow wave may be slightly longer than her LWL, so the multiplier could then be as much as 1.5.

Possible, but very inefficient with the deep wash. Though it's only wind that's being wasted ! :)

Stowager, the multiplier is a constant. However, with a design of this type as the vessel heels to the wind, more of the hull is immersed and then the waterline length increases. Ergo. the hull speed increases!

The overhangs were a design feature in Victorian/Edwardian racing yachts, since handicaps were calculated using waterline length at rest. Any slight heel therefore would offer an advantage.......  :naughty: 

Stowager, the multiplier is a constant......

Yes, the 1.34 is the factor for the wavelength to exactly match the boat's LWL, but the maximum speed can be increased slightly above that, albeit with greatly increased drag and loss of efficiency, to around 1.5

I have a number of old Motor Boat annuals from around the 1930's and 1940's, where the waterline length formula was explained in much greater detail than these days. They suggested that drag increased disproportionately from 1.0 onwards, where the hull started to be supported by only two wave peaks instead of several.

I'll have to dig them out and scan one of the pages.

We actively discourage anybody out for a just a few days to try to get to Great Yarmouth as there is probably not enough time to do this without stressing. We do not want anybody taking risks with the bridges or trying to punch the tides and then having to remain at Yarmouth until the next low tide for the return cruise.

We ask that anybody crossing Breydon does so having read and fully understood all of the information provided in the Broadcaster paper that we give to every hirer and to cross at slack water.

• Like 4

That's plan 'c'/b***er I've left the fuel can in the car!

That's where the quant or oars come in!

Then of course you can kedge, sail or, heaven forbid, work the tides!!

As a youngster two of us rowed up the Waveney, out to sea at Yarmouth and down the coast to Lowestoft, from one side of Mutford Lock to the other. I'm not sure if the greater propulsion came from the oars or the tide but it just goes to show just how important, and useful, the tide is.

• Like 2

Fully appreciate and understand working the tides. At the end of our first weeks hire on the Broads,the guy at Richardson's couldn't quite believe how little fuel we'd used and how far we had gone on it.

We had planned to have a following tide wherever practical,and kept well within the speed limits. We were there to relax and couldn't understand why some seemed to be in such a mad rush.

• Like 4