2 stroke v 4 stroke

watershed

Are there any problems using a 2 stroke outboard on the Broads?.

I know 2's are noisier,thirstier and smellier and 4's are heavier,dearer and more attractive to our light-fingered friends!

Other than that though is there any reason not to use a small(4-5hp) 2 stroke?

Thanks

None that I'm aware of. I have an 8hp 2 stroke on my tender and know a lot of other folk who also prefer 2 strokes from a weight and mechanical simplicity point of view.

Yes, my thoughts on that subject too.

Two strokes have many big advantages over four strokes up to about 10hp.

Above that size, they become much less man-handleable so the four strokes then come into their own with their better fuel consumption and smoother low running speeds in the larger sizes.

Below 10hp though, and especially in the 4-5 hp range that Watershed mentioned, two strokes are much lighter and more compact.

I have several small outboards but my favourite is an old Evinrude 4hp twin cylinder two stroke. It weighs only 14kg, about half the weight of comparable power 4 strokes., and there's no sump oil to change or leak out.

It starts easily and runs really smoothly and quietly, even at just over tickover.

A friend of mine bought a brand new Yamaha 4.5hp four stroke, then borrowed mine, sold his and bought one like mine secondhand.

Legislation prevents two stroke outboards from being sold new any more, but it's extremely unlikely they would ever be banned from being used in the UK.

..and lastly the remark about being less attractive to thieves is a very valid one ! :)

post-195-0-12031200-1410875037_thumb.jpg

Never had a 2 stroke but I do have a 2.5hp 4 stroke mariner. It's a 2006 bought from eBay a couple of years ago. We take it once or twice a year and I have only changed the oil on it. I always run the petrol dry when not in use and once refilled and started it always starts 1st or 2nd pull. Longest journey is up through Potter for the day and it never missed a beat. Only problem is that is struggles to run on tuckiver without stalling. It is not the latest but we take it in our roofbox (!) backwards and forwards and put it on and off the dinghy with no mishaps so far!

The reason why small two stroke engines will always be lighter than four strokes for the same power output is because there is a "power" stroke with every engine revolution, rather than every alternate one, potentially doubling the output, weight for weight.

It's the reason why most 50cc  mopeds and  scooters still have two stroke engines, even the latest new ones.

There's no legislation in the UK or the EU to ban them as two strokes for new sales, unlike outboards. (thank goodness :) )

Yes, my thoughts on that subject too.

Two strokes have many big advantages over four strokes up to about 10hp.

Above that size, they become much less man-handleable so the four strokes then come into their own with their better fuel consumption and smoother low running speeds in the larger sizes.

Below 10hp though, and especially in the 4-5 hp range that Watershed mentioned, two strokes are much lighter and more compact.

I have several small outboards but my favourite is an old Evinrude 4hp twin cylinder two stroke. It weighs only 14kg, about half the weight of comparable power 4 strokes., and there's no sump oil to change or leak out.

It starts easily and runs really smoothly and quietly, even at just over tickover.

A friend of mine bought a brand new Yamaha 4.5hp four stroke, then borrowed mine, sold his and bought one like mine secondhand.

Legislation prevents two stroke outboards from being sold new any more, but it's extremely unlikely they would ever be banned from being used in the UK.

..and lastly the remark about being less attractive to thieves is a very valid one ! :)

While i aggree with almost all of Strow`s post, i DISAGREE with his last comment, as the example posted above by Leo explains. Small 2 strokes in immaculate condition will always be in great demand for use on dighys due to their light weight and ease of maintainance. Because of this, they now command comparably higher used values than older heavier small 4 strokes.

So with that in mind, always keep them locked away somewhere safe when not in use.

One last thing,

I was told some time ago that the sale of brand new 2 stroke outboards has NOT actually been outlawed completely, as registered commercial fishermen are still legally allowed to buy them, with the bann only applying to leisure users. Whether this is actually the case i don`t know, and willfully stand to be corrected if wrong?.

I have Mariner 2hp. I have owned it for years, and it was second hand when I bought it. It chugs on for ever. I think the only thing I have ever replaced have been an occasional plug, and points. It used in both salt water, and fresh. I do flush it out in fresh water after its had salt water in it.

I had a four stroke Honda on another boat, which performed very well, only problem was it was in a well, and tended to run a little hot. It was also a heavy lump to lift on, and off the yacht.

Guess it depends what you prefer, and the security aspect.

Maurice

.....Small 2 strokes in immaculate condition will always be in great demand for use on dighys due to their light weight and ease of maintenance. Because of this, they now command comparably higher used values than older heavier small 4 strokes.

So with that in mind, always keep them locked away somewhere safe when not in use........

Damn !! :)

You mean that the penny has dropped with crooks, and they're still valuable enough to pinch ?

My collection will be kept carefully locked away then .....

post-195-0-46215500-1410986155_thumb.jpg

Damn !! :)

You mean that the penny has dropped with crooks, and they're still valuable enough to pinch ?

My collection will be kept carefully locked away then .....

Love the little Seagull Strow, my dad had one which NEVER gave any trouble. He also had a larger one that ALWAYS gave trouble, but that was the joy of Seagull outboards, you either swore BY them or swore AT them

• Like 3

Love the little Seagull Strow, my dad had one which NEVER gave any trouble. He also had a larger one that ALWAYS gave trouble, but that was the joy of Seagull outboards, you either swore BY them or swore AT them

I can't resist them Neil.

That is one of their biggest models though, a Century Plus 5hp with clutch.

I've owned and tinkered with most sizes of them and their agricultural engineering appeals to me, though it's a shame they make such a racket.

I keep that one in the boat as an emergency backup engine. It's ideal for the job, being designed to shove heavy displacement boats along at 5mph against the tide, yet very lightweight and compact, even with the  12" prop.

I had that one completely apart, but the internals were like new, and it runs like a watch, (though a bl**dy noisy one). :)

post-195-0-66031100-1411020855_thumb.jpg

Used a 2-stroke 2.5hp Mariner for a couple of years on an inflatable dinghy and it did the job perfectly. A little noisier than the ultra-modern units available but simple to maintain and reasonably cheap to run.

Sold it and the dinghy together. New owner still happily chugging along with the same combination. :smile: