New Year's Eve

MauriceMynah

Unfortunately I can't get down for New Years as my other half is trying to start a new family tradition of going out for a family meal on New Years Eve. This will be only the second year of this new 'tradition' mind you. The whole thing is an attempt to assuage the families feelings of guilt at either forgetting or being too drunk to remember or care that my birthday is on New Years Day.

The original tradition of forgetting my birthday was first started by Uncle Albert who, when my college mates barged into the family home to wish me many happy returns on my 18th birthday, made the comment 'I wondered why he was mardy' before taking two more aspirin and going back to bed.

Since the birth of our Granddaughter Grace my other half and I are now on baby sitting duties while everyone else goes out, so it makes sense to all get together...sing 'happy birthday' after a good meal and then I can taxi them to and from their New Year parties free from guilt.

Of course no one asked my opinion on this. Personally New Years on the Broads sounds like heaven...just as long as I get to tune into the New Years Concert in Vienna.

• Like 1

That concert is on my 'impossible dream' bucket list. We watch each year and I remember Grandma coming in every New Years Day to watch it on our telly when I was a brat.

After failing to develop a career in politics or the foreign office (the only reason for contemplating said career was to get into the concert) I've entered the public draw ever since it was initiated and should I ever get lucky enough to get two tickets...the prices aren't bad either! Here's the site for 2016 drawer you have to apply first two months of 2015.