Woodfordes Ale Trail year

Yay it's ale trail year! Ever since we first started coming up, I've been an adnams fan, although a few years back my dad introduced me to woodfordes and I've kind of converted.

I'm not a drinker really because I drive all the time and It's against me to get anywhere near the car after a drink so I generally only drink on the boat.

On our return to the broads 2 years ago (after a 6 something year gap) it was ale trail year and via the ale trail, we went into some pubs which we have never been to (such as upton, somerleyton and rockland), it made the holiday really and it was part of giving up on our coastal sailing ideas and getting our own boat and returning to the broads. So I'm really really looking forward to doing this again and see if I can better my last score this year! (Dad same as though please get me a spare sticker, I know you can do it!).

Needless to say I think this is brilliant for local pubs so I hope everyone will get behind it too and drink the pubs dry! (If you don't want your stickers, I'll have them!). 

(If you've not heard of this, basically for every woodfordes pint you buy, you get a sticker (One per pub), every 12 stickers you get, you get a freebie which you collect in the giftshop which is close to salhouse. The gifts are generous and even if you don't manage a full set, for a couple of quid they let you have something ;) )

cheers

• Like 3

I'm not a drinker really because I drive all the time and It's against me to get anywhere near the car after a drink so I generally only drink on the boat.

The 'beer run' Deb and I did for you would suggest otherwise young sir. All I will say is it was a good job we went in the van ;)cheers

• Like 3

Oh Alan, you had to remind me that this year is the Ale Trail  :shocked . It is going to be another interesting year of visiting lots and lotsssss of pubs :wasted: . It was ME Alan who got the extra stickers for you, as I have the cheek to ask every bar attendant  :rolleyes: for another sticker  :rolleyes:  . 

Regards

Marina   :Stinky

• Like 2

I forget just exactly what year it was, It was the early 80's... 85 I think, there was a promotion to get a card stamped and after you had been to all the free house pubs on the card. You won a Norfolk Broads pint mug. I cannot remember how many pubs you had to call at, but I do remember I had to drive to the last two once back at the yard to complete the card! I still have that pint pot somewhere lol

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Bit of a bump. This starts this weekend! I guess the ale trail books are in pubs now (Or from Sunday) .. this year there's also a Mobile App. More details here: www.woodfordesaletrail.co.uk.

Apolos to mods/Jonzo for keep plugging this but personally I feel this is part of the Broads attraction :)  cheersbar

IMHO Alan, Wherry does not beat Adnams Broadside. EVER! lol

cheers Iain

Sadly as I don't drink that much I can't drink Broadside anymore Iain (I used to only drink it though).. it's way too rich for me now.. I find wherry is more drinkable.. Woodfordes do "Nog" which is similar to broadside though bit again I couldn't manage that.. Personally I like to support more local companies too. I think Adnams has got a bit big and it's really ruined it as you can now get a adnams anywhere. .. Woodfoodes are growing too but they still feel local.

• Like 1

Hi Iain

I’m here!

Adnams have been bringing out more new beers recently, I think they are beginning to realise that tastes change and they can’t always rely on the same old beers.

You don’t get much of a choice on the Broads, its basically Bitter (or Southwold Bitter), Broadside or Ghost Ship.

They do brew a light beer called – surprisingly, Lighthouse. I find it a bit bland but it’s a light session beer. They used to brew a beer called Regatta which was very nice but I’ve not seen it for while. Likewise Explorer is a superb pale, hoppy beer but as rare as hens teeth particularly on the Broads. Another one called Fat Sprat does crop up now again and is a pale amber summer beer.

I do tend to agree with the comments re Broadside. it’s a classic beer of its type. I don’t mind the odd half but find it just a bit too sweet and heavy to drink in any quantity.

My namesake – Norfolk Nog is similar but not quite as sweet I think. I can certainly drink that more easily as it has a bit more of a bite to it.

But to pick up on Alan’s point, yes I think some of these brewers are getting too big and taking their eye off the ball somewhat. That’s why I particularly look out for the likes of Humpty Dumpty, Green Jack, Grain, Wolf, Golden Triangle, Winters and the many excellent smaller breweries in Norfolk who still believe in brewing beer you can taste!  

And please don’t mention Doombar………….. :naughty: 

cheersbar 

• Like 3

We managed well over 72 pubs between Aug 1st and the end of Sept on the last Trail (2 years ago)... with two of us that amounted to 72 pints of Sundew (2 x 36 pint polypins).

My personal epic was leaving the boat on Riverside in Norwich and falling back onboard several hours later.... I collected 9 stamps that day   :wasted:

• Like 1

We managed well over 72 pubs between Aug 1st and the end of Sept on the last Trail (2 years ago)... with two of us that amounted to 72 pints of Sundew (2 x 36 pint polypins).

My personal epic was leaving the boat on Riverside in Norwich and falling back onboard several hours later.... I collected 9 stamps that day   :wasted:

Nice to see John you keep up with your training schedule 72 pints!  :clap  :clap  :clap

cheers Iain.