Life jackets

LadyPatricia

For conventional boats with high a freeboard and no stern platform, the other potentially life saving way to retrieve a heavy or incapacitated MOB is to use an inflatable dinghy, as shown in this diagram from the RYA website at

http://www.rya.org.uk/cruising/BoatChat/Pages/ManOverboardrecovery.aspx

They enable someone to be literally "rolled in", over a softly inflated side.

...and for anyone without an inflatable tender, I guess it could be a worthwhile precaution to keep a cheapo beach toy type of dinghy aboard, for just that purpose.

It would need to be quickly pumped up in an emergency, but still perhaps better than being in a helpless situation. Maybe it would still be hard to get them up on deck, but at least they'd be out of the water.

post-195-0-44354800-1421174096_thumb.jpg

Being a diver and having had to reboard a RIB with no ladder before it's not as easy as it sounds. And for any non divers we take our tanks and weight belts off first but you still have your fins on for a bit of vertical propulsion.

I could imagine an inflated life jacket also making it more difficult.

It's a good option though and would be easier with a lightweight tender with a bit of give in it.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update, and some info should anyone be interested.

I was working down near Hamble today, just outside Southampton. I'd finish my job down there and was driving back minding my own business when, out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a large sign for Force 4 chandlery......... Well, it would have been rude not to ;)

Anyway to cut a long story ( and a long look round the shop ) short we are now proud owners of 2 new automatic life jackets.

http://www.force4.co.uk/department/safety/life-jackets/automatic-life-jackets/seago-auto-lifejacket-without-harness-navy.html#.VNpsHmIgGSM

I have to say the staff in there are absolutely fantastic. The young man who served me was polite and extremely knowledgable.

Anyway, I bought 2 of the life jackets and received a £10 discount for buying 2 so if anyone is in the market for new jackets keep these guys in mind :)

cheers

Steve

the jacket with the window was not my idea but it is new to the market since the development of the new firing mech, Crotch straps are optional extras which are removable, it you don't do them up then they get in the way and would be removed I guess if I had not had them sewn on, it is something they had not done before though and it took a few attempts to explain why it need to be so!

Hi Clive,

last year, i bought 4 self inflating life jackets for when we`re on Lightning, but they don`t have the crotch straps. I see yours are optional, so did you have them made, or can you buy them seperately, and if so, where from?.

Hi Clive,

last year, i bought 4 self inflating life jackets for when we`re on Lightning, but they don`t have the crotch straps. I see yours are optional, so did you have them made, or can you buy them seperately, and if so, where from?.

These any good?

http://www.force4.co.uk/department/safety/life-jackets/accessories-lights-re-arm-kits/force-4-standard-crutch-strap.html#.VNp1D2IgGSM

• Like 1

.....last year, i bought 4 self inflating life jackets for when we`re on Lightning, but they don`t have the crotch straps. I see yours are optional, so did you have them made, or can you buy them seperately, and if so, where from?.

Most chandlers sell them from stock, like Norfolk Marine for about £5, and there's a wide choice via mail order from the web.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lifejacket+crotch+strap&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=rxPbVOz7LdT7avSwgIgF#tbm=shop&q=lifejacket%20crotch%20strap&tbs=vw%3Al%2Cprice%3A1%2Cppr_min%3A%2Cppr_max%3A10

There all pretty universal fitting any make of lifejacket, as it's just a loop at the front and the back to catch the existing belt.