What to do?

LadyPatricia

After some advice please people.

We've just got back from a weekend up at the boat doing some work. This was the first visit since the marina had lifted her out for the winter.

We noticed a couple of bits of damage to the boat that were definately not there on our last visit. The canopy has some small rips / tears in it and there is also clear signs something has rubbed against it as the green on the canopy has been rubbed away ( the canopy has not been cleaned for a while ).

Also the rubber around the edge of the boat has come away. I think this may be an easy fix though.

My dilemma is how do i approach the marina. As sure as eggs are eggs they will instantly deny any knowledge of this damage even with photographic evidence and I cannot prove any different.

How would you guys go about this

Thanks

Steve and Deb

Edited to add attachments

post-30525-0-29885500-1421620747_thumb.j

post-30525-0-71864400-1421620763_thumb.j

Rather depends on the marina involved. How was the boat lifted out? If on strops care has to be taken but provided the canvas and rubbers are sound then there shouldn't have been a problem. Personally I would take the bull by the horns, speak to the manager and tell him of your worries. You could ask him if his staff had reported the damage?

Having now seen the damage to the rubber it won't be a cheap job, ask your insurance company to act on your behalf.

Steve and Deb.

You want to pm me with the people who did this?

Had a similar problem last year with a premier broads name and had lots of damage to my boat whilst in their care.

They did sort of admit liability and did put it right after 2 attempts. Would never use them again though and at the risk of being libellous (despite it being fact and I can prove it) will not publicaly name them.

Looks like the strop has pulled the rubbing srake apart at a join weakest point, and is common problem when lifting boats,jt may just screw back on, but you are missing some filler tubing(the silver bit), the tear in the canopy can be patched for about 30 quid, depends how you feel about how good you want the boat to look, good luck, first call the yard as advised , cheers

• Like 1

It's so nice to read about the issues without the victim falling into the trap of "naming & shaming" the possible guilty parties. As you say, discretion is the best route, it burns fewer bridges.

I would certainly talk to the yard first, they may be unaware of the situation and would appreciate the chance to investigate further, possibly leading to their repairing the issue.

I suffered a similar sort of damage a few years back. On mine the hull and topsides meet at a flanged joint, and it's glued / glassed together with the rubbing strake over the top. I had about a metre damaged and had to carry out quite extensive GRP repairs.

What particularly frustrated me was that 1 of the items were probably a genuine accident, but the other 2 were just negligent.

If they had called me to tell me about it I would have been upset, but accidents happen.

They just played dumb to start with, before they started to rectify things.

Told me it was fixed then when I went to check it the work hadn't been done properly. Back a week later and although fixed, we still had to tighten screws, clean off debri etc. And that was after being promised by the manager he would personally check the repairs.

Anyway, won't be using them again.

• Like 1

Well the call to the marina never bore any fruit. Unfortunately we will put it down to experience and move on with life. A lesson learned on our ever increasing learning curve of boat ownership. From this day forward one of us will ALWAYS be there when she is lifted.

There is no way we could ever prove one way or another when these bits of damage occurred. Luckily I don't think it will hit the pockets too deeply.

I will say that even after this little hiccup we are very happy with the way we have been looked after. The bits of work carried out by them so far have been done well and communication has always been good.

This was never going to be about 'naming and shameing' just advice on the best way to deal with it.

Thank you for those who sent PM's. What a great bunch of people frequent this forum ;)

cheers

Steve

• Like 3