Boat registration mark

Evening all

Very quick, and probably easy, question for you.

Where do you HAVE to display your boats registration mark? I ask as our boat has it on port and starboard towards the bow of the boat and another on the stern of the boat. Will I be breaking any rule / law if I remove the one on the stern?

Thanks in advance

cheers

Steve

As Jonzo mentioned, the BA website has a PDF of the instruction leaflet sent out with the toll plaques.

I was going to cut and paste the part detailing the reg locations, but the damn instructions are about as convoluted as they could possibly make them, so I'll just paste the link to the PDF instead !

(good old BA)  :)

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/396818/display_reg-1.pdf

When we got our new boat sweet kingfisher x hire our number was on the back,but not on the front,even though we had a boat for 4 odd years we did not think we were wrong.When Alan had the boat for a week,some jobs worth from BA said we must display the number on the front,and also being x hire to take the dash 6 off the rear(which we have since done)or risk a fine of hundreds of pounds(not kidding).

Therefore you need to display numbers on port and starboard and stern.

Hope this helps

Ian :Sailing  :pirate

Thanks Ian.

We will just display the minimum 90mm letter and numbers on the stern. This means we can move it to a different area on the stern ;)

Are you insinuating that Alan attracts attention when out on the rivers. Seems strange you are out and about for 4 years, yet you let him loose for a week and all hell breaks loose ;) ( only kidding Alan )

cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Meanwhile sailing boats with no engine don't need to display their numbers. If the Authority is relying on a sailing boat having numbers on its sails then even that is not foolproof, some none racing boats, like Drascombes, don't have numbers. Anyway, since I am a good boy I don't mind people seeing my registration numbers so I do show them, even if I don't have to!

Sailing craft with no engines always have to display the toll plaques though Peter, and also the name of the boat as registered with the BA.

As the toll reg number is always on the plaque, I guess it's always therefore present on all craft, albeit much smaller !

Maybe they deem sailing craft without engines less likely to need reporting from any great visual  distance... :naughty:

Sailing craft with no engines always have to display the toll plaques though Peter, and also the name of the boat as registered with the BA.

As the toll reg number is always on the plaque, I guess it's always therefore present on all craft, albeit much smaller !

Maybe they deem sailing craft without engines less likely to need reporting from any great visual  distance... :naughty:

Well, what else would you expect. we are the good boys of the waterways, don'tcha know :angel:  :angel:  :angel:

Well, what else would you expect. we are the good boys of the waterways, don'tcha know :angel:  :angel:  :angel:

Absolutely right Peter.

I've never heard of any Drascombe Lugger owners planing along the rivers at 20mph with a big bow wave....  :)

If you ring the BA's toll office, you can buy a set of 3

registration numbers for £5 inc. postage.

That way you get the correct size and font too.

I always make stainless plates for the reg. numbers

to hang on the pulpit rails as when it's time to fit the

new toll stickers, they are easier to remove the

previous years and fit the new.

OK. Not everyone has pulpit rails, but if you have, it

may be worth thinking about.

Note the three position fitting as this stops it swinging

in the wind.

post-199-0-17355400-1422016044_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

BB stainless - very nice. :bow  :bow

I have the cheaper Scottish option (sorry Iain I couldn't resist that :naughty:  :naughty: ) and a pair of plastic plates they sell in the chandlers around the Broads. Work the same as yours but I think I had to drill the holes in them to attach them to the rails - concur the extra hole to stop them flapping works a treat as well.