Quiet and Peaceful 4

NorfolkNog

Hi Neil

We do like to hire out of season as it is so quiet and peaceful as the thread suggests!

We do try to hire in May or early June if we can as it is still fairly peaceful and the the weather is usually pretty good. I really wouldn't fancy being out during July, August or Bank Holidays!!! :-o

Yes, i know what you mean.  Last year, we had a week allocated for us in the syndicate, but had already had the week booked and payed for on Maffetts Kestrel, so we could`nt use it so soon after then. We had a good result though, we managed to swap it for a week in late October, where we saw the Waveney 2ft over Beccles quay. I doubt we`ll ever see that again as it was a very rare occurance.

When we draw our weeks for next year, if we get another February week, i think we`ll take it, providing there`s no snow about.

Keep the pics coming Howard.

Out and about ourselves, on MS.   Tucked away at Sutton Staithe at the moment.

In the north Herbert Woods appear to be the only yard with boats out.  We have seen one Faircraft but so far no Richardsons.  

The only yard from the south we have seen with boats out is AlphaCraft.

SueH

Out and about ourselves, on MS.   Tucked away at Sutton Staithe at the moment.

In the north Herbert Woods appear to be the only yard with boats out.  We have seen one Faircraft but so far no Richardsons.  

The only yard from the south we have seen with boats out is AlphaCraft.

SueH

I don`t think Richardsons hire out before easter, and not after October. Very few yards used to hire year round, but i think with many yards now very much indipendant from agencies, they`re looking to cater a bit more for those that like winter holidays. Howard usually hires from Swancraft, and the only other yard that were well known for hiring out of season was Royalls.  Now there`s Herbert Woods, Alpha craft (as you point out), and i think Faircraft do to?.

The beauty of being retired, is the ability to choose when you want to go on holiday. No work commitments, or family (children) to worry about, just our cat in our case, but our neighbours look after her for us when we are away.

We try to get away, when the schools are NOT on holiday, as it is quieter and prices are a bit cheaper. As afar as early in the year is concerned, we usually go early to mid April. (depending how Easter falls) At this time of year, the clocks have gone forward, so you do get that extra hours daylight, than early March. The trees are starting to get their foliage and look greener, plus you have the chance that the temperatures are starting to pick up. Weather, like always is pot luck, but we have faired pretty well up to press touch wood (my head). :lol:

We always have a week away during June (again before the School hols) but we like to visit Devon/Cornwall, North Wales, or The Lake District/Scotland for that week, alternating as the mood takes us. :grin:

Autumn, we like to get away between 2nd week in Sept to 2nd week in Oct, again, just before the clocks go back and the weather is still quite nice. Last year we were in Scotland, beautiful weather in the West Highlands (fist week of Sept). This year we are returning to the broads for our second boating holiday, which we shall be doing at least once a year from now on. (either Spring, Autumn or both depending how we feel). :roll:

We usually have a few short City Breaks between holidays, to places like, York, Chester, Bath, Oxford, Canterbury, just to name a few from. (these are usually 2 night stays) and we have at least two or three per year. cheers

We intend booking a Cruise for next year, either a 10 day Canaries Island/Med cruise from Southampton in October or a 10 day Norwegion Ffijords/Iceland cruise, sometime mid summer. Not quite decided yet.  :rolleyes:

Oh isn't it nice to be retired, spending all our well earned savings. Well you can't take it with you when you pop your clogs, so spend it and enjoy it whilst you still have your health and are fit enough to enjoy it. :bow

For those who have not yet retired, your time will come, much quicker than you think. Time really does start to fly when your past sixty five, believe me!  :taunt:

Just looked at the bridge pic again, the water level looks low enough to get a few boats through just now? Did you check the height of it Howard ?

cheers Iain.

Hi Iain

Levels had gone up again by Saturday but Potter was still showing six feet. Earlier in the week Wroxham was just over seven three and Wayford must have been nearly eight feet - it was so low we nearly touched the bottom going through :-o

I think someone had definitely pulled the plug out. There was more water on Jon's rud than in the river >:)

• Like 1

Hi All

Right, I’ve got back home and have mangled to upload the camera so I can reply on a couple of things.

I’ve uploaded the Wayford Bridge gage photo and looking at it full size it is probably not quite eight feet but must be seven nine I would guess. Hard to say as the exposed bit is usually underwater so you cant read the markings!

post-38-0-57651200-1424776473_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Iain and Grace, we are back with Swancraft in mid May so hopefully should be slightly less Quiet and Peaceful 5 :-) Should be able to get on line much better as Swancraft have the Jabba the Hut system which gives much more reliable coverage. Looking forward to it already.

Just 

Thank you Howard for sharing your Quiet & Peaceful break with us, it was a joy to read.  cheers  cheers

Not too long before we will be on the water, but we will have been and gone, by the time Iain gets there.  : lol:

Just leave the drinks behind the bar for us Geoff, two whiskies (Grouse) and soda for the ladies, diet pepsi for me! Or Bavaria 0% if they have it! :naughty:

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Just 

Just leave the drinks behind the bar for us Geoff, two whiskies (Grouse) and soda for the ladies, diet pepsi for me! Or Bavaria 0% if they have it! :naughty:

cheers Iain.

Ah Grouse! cheers  A man after my own heart! Like mine with soda though. Wendy prefers G&T, but being an ex matelot, I do like a tot of Woods, straight! (If you can get it)  cheers I will probably bring a bottle with me, (for the boat) as not many pubs sell Woods rum.  cheers

Ah Grouse! cheers  A man after my own heart! Like mine with soda though. Wendy prefers G&T, but being an ex matelot, I do like a tot of Woods, straight! (If you can get it)  cheers I will probably bring a bottle with me, (for the boat) as not many pubs sell Woods rum.  cheers

Geoff,

Unless things have changed not many sell Grouse or Whyte & MacKays either. Just bog standard Bells or Grants.

I just wish I could get back to having copious pints of Adnams Broadside! :cry

cheers Iain.

I know what you mean Iain, regarding whisky. It's like rum, you only see Captain Morgan or Lambs in pubs. Woods and Pussers, you only see in off licences or supermarkets nearer to Christmas. I usually stock up with a few bottles around then.

I must sample some of the local ales when we are there.  cheers

• Like 1