Tolls and Bits

JawsOrca

I do think if a dinghy is below a certain lenght (9.9ft or 3mtr?), and is a named tender to an existing toll paying craft, then they should automatically qualify for an exemption,

Neil ours are 3.3 meter so I think the limit should be set at 3.4 meter obviously... (and a 2 stroke as I brought it just before the law change so small 2 stroke <15hp should be permitted too..  :hardhat: lol) cheers

• Like 1

Strow, I use several different capacities of that LiPo myself.

If you ever damage one, hope that you are in a position to

be well away from it! 

There are plenty of vid's on Utube of them burning!

Quite right BB, which is why I've been careful to emphasize the need to connect and charge them properly.

The internally padded waterproof container provides maximum protection against impact damage, and everything individually fused and monitored with low voltage alarms etc..

There are indeed a lot of frightening youtube vids of them being abused or used incorrectly.

I charge mine in a steel box, as recommended on many of the radio control websites.

Most people will give them a wide berth because of the scare stories, but I've been using them successfully with outboards and electric bikes for three years now with no problems.

It may be more trouble than most people are willing to go to, but they make electric propulsion far more viable than with lead/acid technology. :)

• 4 weeks later...

post-15429-0-28409700-1428418745_thumb.jpost-15429-0-49497600-1428418757_thumb.jpost-15429-0-79421200-1428418776_thumb.jHi

Here is a tip for mounting the Toll-Number Plate to the pulpit.

I was going to use  normal ty-wraps to suspend the Toll-Number Plates on 'Braveheart' but as ty-wraps age very quickly in sunlight and don't look that nice I found these stainless steel ty-wraps.

The S/S ty-wraps obviously don't degrade in sunlight and do look nice against the S/S Pulpit. 

They are easy to use, just like a nylon ty-wrap, and are easy to cut.

I made my 'number plates' from a off cut of hardwood, varnished and I think they suit our new boat.

Have to say the 'old British Waterways' number plates were a smart look type also.

John.

• Like 3

So when is a dinghy not a dinghy?

I am referring to those PVC airbed type dinghies or inflatable crocodiles, that have been on sale in Aldi, Lidl, and seaside stalls selling buckets and spades, and appear from nowhere on a hot summers day, and at the edges of say Salhouse Broad.

I have also seen them being towed from hirecraft with people hanging on to them.(clearly towing a person in a dinghy is not alllowed on the Broads.)

So clearly these dinghies also require a toll, but not a lot of people know that...

What have the BA done about these craft?

I do believe we should pay something as although it has little effect on dredging etc it is still being used on a maintained waterway and it's only fair to repay. I am surprised it's so much though and I would have thought it would get a discount being used with another full paying boat as a dinghy with an outboard is a good liferaft! 

Likewise bicycles  on the road ,   we build them  a cycle lane , which round here most seem to ignore completely, they should also pay a toll/tax.   These cycle lanes must have costs millions.      We also get pensioners on these scooters with no crash helmets which are a complete worry.

Sorry to change the subject -   I expect a slapped hand.

• Like 2

.......Likewise bicycles  on the road ,   we build them  a cycle lane , which round here most seem to ignore completely, they should also pay a toll/tax.   These cycle lanes must have costs millions........

Sorry to change the subject -   I expect a slapped hand.

Not a slapped hand, but maybe a strong disagreement from me ... :)

There are no cycle lanes in the rural areas where I live and cycle, so I'd be very dissapointed if I had to pay a cycle tax for the benefit of those that do have them.

I'm also pretty sure I would use them if they were available to me here, especially if they gave me any spacial protection from motorists.

It's all part of life's rich tapestry I suppose, for every strongly held opinion, there's often an equally justifiable counter-view.... :)

I agree.      I do worry about the elderly around here who take their life in their hands in their mobility scooters.    Trundling along oblivious of huge lorries passing and busses.

Wish there was a spellcheck on here, or can I just not see it.

Some of the mobility scooter-users around us are far more dangerous than the HGVs as they seem to have their own unofficial race programme in place! The drag strip from the town's market place to the church is downhill and partly pedestrianised...ostensibly to provide a safe haven from traffic of course. That goal has more or less been rendered null and void by the 'racers' bless 'em.

The speed and moves performed by the competitors are fun to watch but from a safe distance. :grin:

Hi Liberty,

Sorry for the late reply to your question of where the ty-warps came from.

Good old eBay, I find eBay a real good source for bits at a very good prices :) .

Also used them for holding the titanium lagging on the Wallas heater exhaust, also purchased from eBay.

John.

• Like 1

I agree.      I do worry about the elderly around here who take their life in their hands in their mobility scooters.    Trundling along oblivious of huge lorries passing and busses.

Wish there was a spellcheck on here, or can I just not see it.

It is indeed very worrying, seeing slow moving mobility scooters going along narrow and twisty 60mph limit country lanes.

There's quite a few regulars doing longish runs of several miles. Some wear high vis jackets or drape them over the seat back, but many are almost invisible in ordinary dark clothing.

I can sympathise with their difficulty though, with so many country lanes having no footpaths, so they have no alternative to the carriageway, for naturally wanting to retain their independence.

As a scooter user, the bigger ones are capable of a good 8mph, whereas my travel one is 4mph. The bigger ones are allowed on the road I believe, but for the life of me I think its madness to go there! I am more than happy trundleing along the pavements dodgeing prams and pedestrians. The crossings though are not allways of good quality and yer back is hammered by the vibration of the blind pimpled pavement slabs, ouch! 

This has got absolutely nothing to do with this thread but I read scooters were mentioned! :naughty:

cheers Iain.