Would you risk your life for a dog?

JennyMorgan

I think if JMs thread had read "would you risk your life for YOUR dog", then maybe some of the posts by one or two analytical types would not have appeared on this thread.I've no doubt they are probably part of the the 'dog is only for Christmas' brigade. I would do my utmost to save one of my dogs if their life was in danger and anyone who tells me I am irrational or stupid, well tuff titty, don't tell me how to act if my dogs life is at risk.

• Like 1

I think if JMs thread had read "would you risk your life for YOUR dog", then maybe some of the posts by one or two analytical types would not have appeared on this thread.I've no doubt they are probably part of the the 'dog is only for Christmas' brigade. I would do my utmost to save one of my dogs if their life was in danger and anyone who tells me I am irrational or stupid, well tuff titty, don't tell me how to act if my dogs life is at risk.

I have had dogs in the family for over fifty years, not just for Christmas. But I wouldn't swap my wife for one, nor would she swap me for one. Each to their own, I suppose.

The thread was specific "Would you risk your life...?" If someone is prepared to DIE to save their dog, does that show a deep devotion or something else? Making every reasonable effort to save a dog is not quite the same thing.

Dogs are not human. At some point, we may well kill them to protect them from unnecessary suffering. That is something we are not allowed to do for humans.

• Like 2

Well I must admit I thought you would be one of the first replies, as you are so knowledgeable. I feel very sad that you have such a cold logical mind, I personally would risk my life for my dog.

Edited by BroadScot
I forgot to show I edited oops! ;-(
  • Like 2

Well I must admit I thought you would be one of the first replies, as you are so knowledgeable. I feel very sad that you have such a cold logical mind, I personally would risk my life for my dog.

Perhaps I simply have had more personal experience of the practical and tragic consequences of what I can only describe as foolhardy behaviour, whereas many, if not all, of the other opinions have been formed on a theoretical 'what-if' basis.

Edited by BroadScot
I had edited the last part of Labradors PM and have done so again! Opening sentence removed as requested.
  • Like 3

Perhaps I simply have had more personal experience of the practical and tragic consequences of what I can only describe as foolhardy behaviour, whereas many, if not all, of the other opinions have been formed on a theoretical 'what-if' basis.

Precisely, that is, the part that I've underlined.

Luckilly, very few of us have experienced the trauma of having to make that awful spilt second choice.

If we're honest, we can only surmise what our snap descision might be, and many of the replies on here have openly admitted that.

This will always be a very contraversial subject, because the risk factor will vary hugely, and each of us may be imagining a quite different scenario.

Ice, currents, freezing water, depth, life jacket, are all big variables in this guessing game.

Would I jump in after my dog ?

...yes, I would very much like to if that is the only chance of saving it, but it would be a calculated decision, at the time, depending on the exact circumstances.

It's impossible to categrocially say yes or no, in advance......

Edited by BroadScot
First Paladin sentence removed by request.

As a life-saving professional for over twenty years I can only support Paladin's cold hearted, analytical approach. 

Personally I would say that no dog's life is worth that of a human. 

If, for example, a caring dog owner had taken his pooch ashore at Reedham for a last thing walk. On return the tide was ebbing furiously, it was dark, dog panicked when being put back onboard, struggled and fell in, what would a sensible owner do? A horrible choice has to be made. An unlikely scenario for an experienced owner, but not everyone is experienced. 

Personally I would say that no dog's life is worth that of a human

Au contraire...there are some people out there who definitely aren't worth the hair on a dog's back let alone its life. That assertion is proven every day when the news is broadcast. Sweeping statement really, Peter.

As for going in the water after a dog...with care, yes. Simply launching oneself into the water without some forethought is inadvisable. As has been said before, in an adrenalin situation, instinct tends to take over and nobody knows for absolute certainty how'd they'd react in such circumstances.

• Like 1

Au contraire...there are some people out there who definitely aren't worth the hair on a dog's back let alone its life.......

A stark statement, but quite true philosophicaly.  :)

I totally agree with Marina, none of us really know what we would do in such circumstances, would you try to weigh up the situation and then react by which time it would probably be too late or just jump in and hope for the best. To have a pet which is very much loved and part of a family drown is of course heartbreaking but would you risk drowning and leaving your family without a Parent etc, it really is a hard call and I for one hope that none of us are in a situation where we have to make it.

For what my opinion is worth I will say this, in no way do I think Paladin has a cold mind or heart for that matter and to bring his wife into it, who, as far as I am aware is not even a member of this Forum is unfair. I have no wish to cause arguments but felt the comment involving Mrs Paladin was uncalled for

Grace

• Like 3

I thought very long and very hard before replying to this thread, mainly because I think most of the answers here are in their own way correct, but it is the question that’s wrong.

If one were to ask… “What would you be prepared  to risk your life for?” you would find many different answers, with some that are so illogical as to be barmy!

Some people risk their lives for money. Let’s just say Lewis Hamilton and all the other F1 drivers as an example, though many will risk their lives for far lesser sums.

Others do it for fun. Ask any amateur mountaineer or bungee jumper!

There are people who are just straight forward heroes. The RNLI is full of them as are many other rescue services.

Our armed forces do it for their country!

“Yes, OK” you might say, “But I meant normal people”… and therein lies the problem.

By a “normal person” we will take someone who is untrained in risk assessment, untrained in rescue techniques and untrained in whichever situation he/she finds himself/herself in.

In this case we are talking about a strange case of dog in the water. Owner panics and dives in.

Yes, the owner has risked his life, yet that owner wouldn’t have thought about that, or much else, when he dived in.

It is my opinion (and therefore fact) that when an owner puts his life at risk to save his dog and subsequently dies in the attempt, he was inadequate in his risk assessment. My reasoning? Pure Logic!

First the owner should ask himself. “If I die trying to save my dog, will it help the dog”

Answer, obviously not!

Second question. “How likely is my death if I take this course of action?”

If the answer to that is “High” then another course is likely to be considered.

You can see where this is going so I’ll not continue with this bit.

The above is what SHOULD happen. What would happen in reality is “Arghhh poor rover’s in the water.” SPLASH!

Now, I’m not a strong swimmer, so I wouldn’t jump in to save anything be it dog, child or even my mobile phone.

I have a low threshold of pain too, so running into burning buildings is out as well. I’m not fast on my feet so diving in front of someone to take the bullet is a non starter and finally as I’m a professional coward, I’m highly unlikely to exchange myself as hostage for anybody either.

MACHO I aint, nor am I hero material. So, if you or your dog are going to get into difficulty, best not do it near me eh!

• Like 7