Roadwork delays A47 weekends

Siddy

Hi, bit of local advice to get round road works. I'm driving down Friday during the day but leaving Stalham following Saturday where there will be hold ups.

Looking at Maps is it any better leaving top of Stalham to Cromer and out to Kings Lynn that way? I rather be moving that sat in traffic.

Road works?

We are coming down tomorrow morning and will be on the A47

from Peterborough through to the Thorpe exit so would

appreciate any info on any road works which may affect us.

(I know about the existing one at that junction unless there

is more going on now)

Road works?

We are coming down tomorrow morning and will be on the A47

from Peterborough through to the Thorpe exit so would

appreciate any info on any road works which may affect us.

(I know about the existing one at that junction unless there

is more going on now)

We are going down tomorrow too, don't think those will affect us though.

Thanks Jonzo.

HI Paul. We are down till Tuesday morning and will be going

to the Boat Jumble at the Showground on Sunday morning.

See you there?

Should be up near Norwich on Sunday on the boat, not sure how far the Showground is from Thorpe.

So may not make it. :cry

We have just received a letter from Richardson's warning us of the road closures and diversions that will be in force. As we are planing on leaving home about 5.30 am, we hope to arrive at the boat yard before lunchtime. This will get us off to a good start before the morning rush hour kicks in around the Birmingham area.

There was a huge tailback to the previous junction last week and just managed to nip off in time at Trowse. The traffic past City Hall was pretty heavy but most of it was for the car park at Riverside.

Still quicker than the A47 though.

Instead of going all the way around North Norfolk, it's quicker and easier to go through Norwich.

15 mins to get through the road works big delay was idiots drive down the left and pushing in before the junction.

Just before there a bike decided to try get in the boot of a car. Also another hold up before then.

So 45min delay on a 4hr run.

You are absolutely right Siddy. It is those people who decide to push in at the very last minute who cause the delays in the left hand lane. The roundabout is normally clear. To avoid the queues in the right hand lane, keep left, at roundabout 4th exit. Over bridge. First exit at roundabout. First right to Postwick. Keep left to Brundall. Then to Strumpshaw. Then to Lingwood. Then to Cantley Rd Junction. Turn left. 2 miles turn right to Acle.

• Like 1

We will be coming down the M6/A14 from the Midlands, then onto the A11 and towards Norwich. Due to these road works at Postwick, we will stay on the A11 and cross the Norwich by-pass (A47), then pick up the inner ring road towards the airport. Then take the A1151 to Wroxham and on to Stalham. It may be a bit longer distance wise, but will save waiting in traffic hold ups.

Being an ex truck driver and visited Norwich many times, I know my way around the inner ring. I used to deliver to the Airport Industrial Estate and can remember there used to be an indoor go kart track on that estate. It may not be there any more, as it is over ten years since I was last there.

Mentioning a previous post, about cars on the right hand lane, squeezing in at road works, reminds me of my trucking days.

Signs reminding drivers to filter into the left lane are usually placed at least half a mile away, but you always get the smart a-r-s-e's, who come up the right hand lane, causing hold ups by pushing in at the front of the queue.

To prevent this, truckers would move along both lanes, side by side, to stop this, thus keeping the traffic moving. Then just as the lanes merge into one, the left hand lane truck driver would allow you to move in front of him. This prevented car drivers behind you from jumping the queue. Of course, this only applies to dual carriageways, but it can keep traffic moving at the front of the queue.

• Like 3

Ok this morning I put tomtom on while unloading and it showed road closed but not much of a delay @ 0900, working on the fact that many others are leaving the area shorthly went with plan A and left out of Stalham towards A149 and across the top but tomtom had other idea's and in just under 4hrs with no delays back to Leeds so went with Tom via Wroxham (ROYS)  A147 onto A47 nice run and A47 was dead when we got onto it and a arrived 1410 4hrs plus a stop on route.

For the those that take the short cut via Coddingham to join the A1 a junction below and avoid the mad roundabouts. don't do it going north the junction is closed so I had to go south 2.5 miles to go back north on the A1. Going south no issues, last week there was tail back to leave the A1 I stayed right and went via Coddingham no delays.