BRITS IN WORLD MOTORSPORT

Hi all,

I know there are several motorsport fans on the forum, so i would think you would agree that Brits winning in world championship events is always something to celbrate. However, today has been an amzing day for Brits competing around the world.

F1,  Lewis Hamilton wins the Chines GP (though hardly unexpected)

Moto GP from COTA, Austin, Texas,  Danny Kent wins the Moto 3 race, Sam Lowes wins the Moto 2 race, the Moto GP is currently still going,

World Superbikes..Jonathan Rea wins the first WSB race of the day, followed by Chas Davies winning the second.

On top of that, Cal Crutchlow was leading the qualifying field for the Moto GP, finishing fifth in the end, followed by Scott Redding in 6th, setting a career best.

Here`s hoping for a great result for them too.

It is`nt very often we have the chance to wave the Unioun Jack at the worlds elite racing series, so today has been a day to celebrate.

As for me, i can`t wait to watch the hilights tomorrow evening.

• Like 6

Sadly in the main Moto GP race, Scott Redding did`nt finish, and so the honours went to Bradley Smith and Cal Crutchlow, finishing 6th and 7th repectively.  But still a day to celbrate.

As you say Strow, good to see the Union Jack flying high above the two German flags, though why Nicko Roberg is classified as a German i don`t know, especially as father Keke is a Finn?.

I think the situation ar Mercedes this year will be a little different to last year given the potential threat from Ferrari. Last year Mercedes could pretty much do what they wanted to and it was no sectret that their backers, mostly from Germany as well as Mercedes top directors would have preferred to see Rosberg as Champion. Hamilton very much won against the odds.

This year things are different. Vettel proved in KL, albeit largely down to complacency from Mercedes that Ferrari can threaten and they have more development tokens available for their engine than do Merc. Mercedes may soon have to make a deceision to support one driver as Number 1 and I think Rosberg knows that. If he falls too far behind then he's toast.

Of course whilst we congratulate the individuals we must also remember that many of the worlds top Motorsport teams are UK based, even many that operate under foreign flags.

• Like 1

There are only 3 drivers in the running for the championship this year and that is Hamilton, Rosberg & Vettel and my money is on Hamilton again. Poor old Jenson is out of it, with McClaren he isn't in the points yet and my guess is that this might be his last season in F1.

Yep, Button was finished several years ago, and has mostly been in it for the jet set lifestyle. McLaren only kept him on as a developement driver, as they knew last year the Honda engine was`nt going to be competative this year, and possibly only a midfield performer next year. .

• Like 1

Is`nt it amazing how people always knock the Brits in world sport?. Maybe that`s because all we ever see or read about is football, cricket, rugby, and tennis. Yet look to the world of motorsport, and very often we excel. So why don`t we see more motorsport on tv?. Certainly a lot more exciting than watching 22 overpayed egotisits being payed millions every year to kick a cows a..e around a field...

No, i don`t think so dave?. I may not have 1st hand experience in F1, but being a composite engineer in the aircraft industry, very often we have subbies coming in for the summer who mainly work in F1. One such chap happens to be a good friend who has for several years worked at McLaren F1, and has met many of their drivers, Jenson Button being one of them, I won`t mention names, as i don`t want to cause the forum any legal problems, but SOME drivers are more than happy just to be there for the lifestyle, and are not that bothered about raciing, but Lewis Hamilton is definitely NOT one of them.

So why don`t we see more motorsport on tv?. Certainly a lot more exciting than watching 22 overpayed egotisits being payed millions every year to kick a cows a..e around a field..

Motorsort doesn't attract as much following as football, that is why. I used to follow football when I was younger, when teams were all British, when most of those players, were amateur and played for the love of the game and not for the money. These days, British football is all played and run by foreigners. No wonder England have never won the World Cup since 1966. In those days, players were used to playing together, every week, they got to know each other's tactics and were able to build up a good English squad.

Today, football is just big business.  More than half of English premier league teams are foreigners and a good many of those have foreign managers. Sorry, but that is not British football. Wages for top players have got too much out of hand. A top premier league player earns more in one week than most of us earn in a year. Ridiculous! 

Yes I know Formula 1 is also big business, but for me, it is much more exciting, than watching a load of grown men, kicking a ball around a field, spitting, often arguing with one another and giving verbal, physical and racial abuse to fellow players on occasions, for a team that bears no resemblance to where they come from or probably couldn't care less, as long as they are getting paid big money every week. 

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

That`s exactly the stance i`ve taken. I have`nt watched a game of football for years, and i was sorely tempted to bet on England NOT getting thorough the first round of the world cup, i would have made a bit then.   The trouble with footballers is they believe far too much of their own press, and that because they`re England, all they have to do is turn up to win. They seem to forget football is a truly global sport, and still live on the glories of years ago.

And i still think no footballer, no matter who he is should be payed more than £50,000 a year, and that`s premiere league players. If people say "they`ll all go abroad" good, then it will give those that want to play for the love of the sport a better chance.

One last thing, unlike some people, i think that just because some players earn £10,000,000 + a year,, money alone does`nt make them the "best" player, or a "better" player.

Football gets no money from me, because of what I stated in my previous post. Get rid of foreign payers and get rid of foreign managers and let's get British football back to what it was, then we might stand a chance of winning the World Cup again. As long as foreign players play for British Clubs, what chance has any British player having the chance to play together, like it was during the sixties. What the FA needs to do, is to invest in training youngsters, to become good footballers, so that they are equally as good, if not better than any foreign player.

Until then, England will never win the World Cup, because they never get the chance to play together at club level, which is why England had such a good team in 1966, because most of them played together at club level on a weekly basis, not just occasionally  when England needed to play a match. 

It will never happen though, because Football is no longer a sport as such, just Big business. 

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

Reading all of this reminds me why I played cricket and golf :naughty:  I however have always shown interest in F1 and the old Brittish Grand Prix that I saw once! 1962. I have found this for you enthusiasts....  

cheers Iain

• Like 1

Yes Iain, those were the days, Graham Hill, Stirling Moss, Jim Clarke, John Surtees (the only driver ever to win the world championship for Motorbike & Formula 1). Jackie Stewart (a fellow scot of yours), James Hunt, Nigel Mansel, all great British drivers, who will go down in history. 

I wouldn't consider Vettel a serious contender this season, he won in KL as much due to Mercedes arrogance than the Ferrari's performance. Merc believed they could bring Hamilton in for an early stop under the safety car and that cost them the race. They also made a big mistake in qualifying sending the drivers out with 6 minutes to go and line astern. I doubt they will make those errors again. Vettel has proved he can win titles when he has the fastest car, I don't think he is good enough to do it when he hasn't.

• Like 3

A week on and another good result. Hamilton should be feeling pretty good right now.

And don`t forget Danny Kent won the Moto 3 race AGAIN today, with Cal Crutchlow 3rd in Moto GP, and Sam Lowes 3rd in Moto 2. Re Danny Kents win today, it`s the 1st time a British rider has won back to back races in the small class since Barry Sheen did so in 1971. Last week when he won, he won by over 9 seconds, which was a new record in the small class since its conception. This week, he won by over 11 seconds setting another record in a week. Let`s hope he can continue his winning streak and take the crown?.

Way to go Danny.............