Blackhorse Broad

Polly

Hi Alan,  and everyone else,

where exactly is it in relation to Wroxham, and Salhouse Broad?.  I`ve heard of it, but without going in the loft and getting our broads maps out of our boating pack, i`m not sure which one it is.

Ignore that, i`ve just checked it out on google satelite view.

We`ve been in there before but you are`nt allowed to anchor or moor to the bank.

We have mud weighted overnight, the signs don't say you can't.

I am using the signage at the entrance to South Walsham inner broad, as the reference, it clearly says no mud weighting. Fair enough, we cruise around the edge, or even go to the windward side, cut the engine and drift, whilst listening to the wild life, and of course keeping a watch for other boats etc.

I often admire the houses around Black Horse Broad, with their sweeping gardens down to their private dock, but the whole lakeside experience must be spoilt by the amount of traffic speeding down that road, and the motor cyclists that appear to use it as a race track. You can see the amount of traffic on that road, in the gaps between the properties.

I guess the residents get used to it, but for me, the Broads are about peace and quiet.

Fortunately the traffic noise on the Broad itself, is not too intrusive if you are in the cabin, but does intrude slightly, if you are mudweighted, and just admiring the location.

Not much point in having a sprauncy house with a private dock if the water gates are locked and you can't take your boat out onto the river for half the year. 

That would really annoy me :swordpir:  :swordpir:

cheers

Steve

Spent many a pleasant afternoon on Black Horse Broad over the years. Tranquility at its best. Last year we were lucky enough to be there when a group of sailing enthusiasts turned up to do some race practice. As we were mid-broad and presenting a rather large GRP obstacle :) likely to impede the progress of the sailboats, we simply upped sticks and moved out of the main channel to an area unlikely to be used that day as informed by the very polite safety boat skipper.

We were then treated to a display of super-skilled sailing prowess which was beyond belief. Some of the moves they pulled seemed to actually defy the laws of physics at times. True skill and so good to watch.

Anyway, I digress...sorry, we've never actually overnighted on Black Horse as we were under the impression that it wasn't permitted.

• Like 1