Rope Supplies

TeamElla

Hi Jim, This thread may be of interest:

In the end we went with 16mm (3 ply black) lines (for our 28 foot boat) but as in that post we found they are nice to handle.

2 x 10 meter bow lines we we leave on the side decks so they are easy to grab when coming into a mooring. (We went for a longer line than the boat mainly because we feel it's helpful to spin the boat on ropes and because we have an outdrive as so if they get caught round the prop we can "fix".. although we carefully position the ends in the cockpit so we can see them).

and 5 meters each for the 2 stern lines.

I personally wouldn't go any lower than 12mm and be aware the made up mooring lines with a loop may have a somewhat pointlessly large loop.. so you may find it helpful to do a simple bowline loop yourself to fit your cleats.

cheers

• Like 1

Dont forget a short line (2 metres or so) led from the centre cleat on each side laid back to the cockpit so if the crew is indisposed its easy to come alongside, wrap it round a mooring post to hold the boat alongside while you can get ashore and deploy the main mooring lines

cheers

Ray & Carole

Personally I go for thirty foot mooring lines, often useful if there is a tide such as at Yarmouth or Reedham. Also I can half them, so to speak, the second half acting as a spring. Also long enough to anchor on Breydon and useful for working a boat into tight moorings, also for when going through Mutford Lock. When I need short lines I just make fast at whatever length and stow the remainder. Better to have too much than too little, IMHO. I even carry two 100 ft lines on-board and they have proven useful on the Broads although I mainly use them for anchoring when sea-fishing out of Lowestoft.

Slightly off topic. This has always irked me, that many hire boat ropes are too short to do spring lines properly with. You have to move them about, which is not always easy to do.

cheers Iain.

As a one time boat hirer, Fowlers at Oulton Broad, we were always aware that most hirers would not know what to do with a spring. We kept ropes to a minimum because we found that ropes would be lost or boats tied up like trussed chickens on short ropes. the hirers not allowing for the falling tides, we were also well aware that ropes could end up around the prop. Hire boats are built tough with binn irons on the rubbing strakes so if they were poorly moored the hulls could take a hammering. However, if a hirer asked for extra  ropes then we happily supplied them. Most hirers back then were not boat people, it was just a huge new adventure!

I just priced a new mainsheet. Tried all of the above except Brian Ward, because I forgot them, and found that Nearest and Dearest were the best price for what I wanted. It's often a good deal there. :)

Note to JM: this one will not be too short. :)

• Like 2