Where do you stop on your last night on the Broads?

Viking23

I was just looking at the Barnes Brinkcraft camera, the speed of update is much improved... however...

Looking at their moorings, there are several boats stern moored with people on board, can I assume they have arrived back early at the yard ready for an early start tomorrow?

Personally, if this was the case, I wouldn't want to moor close to other boats, in a mooring surrounded by parked cars, and with no scenery.

What we did when we hired, we moored an hours cruise away, in a nice quiet spot, like Salhouse, or Coltishall, or a wild mooring, or even mud weighted, or at a pub, and got up to time our arrival at the yard to suit. This gave all the crew enough time to pack, have breakfast, have a shower and all be ready to step off the boat, whilst still enjoying the boat on the return journey.

I would not want to spend my last evening in a car park.

Just a thought...

• Like 1

I couldn't agree more. When I used to hire I would always make sure I moored 60-90 mins away from the hire yard on the last night. Most of my hires were Saturday to Saturday and therefore over the course of the week on the boat, we would find a suitable B+B and book it for the Saturday we gave the boat back, meaning we would wake aboard on the last day, have a short cruise and shower back to the yard, knowing we still had another day around The Broads, followed by a night in a B+B before heading home. This gave us a chance to venture to some of the land based attractions which were more than a walk from the boat.

For some of us with a 400+ miles drive ahead. I had to be back at the yard on the Friday nights. Long before the By Pass was open. I had to go round the Ring Road, this was best negotiated at 5am or so in the morning, which also made the A47 and A17 much easier drives.

Now, I still go back to the yard the night before, and take the car to a nice eating place. But I don't need to hurry home, now that we are retired. I like the idea of overnighting, just never did it.

cheers Iain

• Like 1

Where we spent our last night has always depended on where we have hired from - from Connoisseur, we used to go to Coltishall obviously because it was the right side of the bridge.  When we hired from Russell Marine our last night was at How Hill and more recently when hiring from from Bristers, Royalls or Summercraft, the last night has been at Salhouse.  We also hired from Gale Cruisers at Loddon a couple of times and our last night was spent at Reedham Ferry.

I like to try to enjoy some peace on my last night and have never felt the need to spend it the home boatyard.  Besides, a short cruise back to the yard allows some time for last minute packing and cleaning.

Last night of a hire was always spent the maximum distance away from the boat yard that I could to allow for the longest possible cruise back to the yard to get there on time to give the boat back.

Once RT is back on the water it depend upon which crew members are on board. If Uncle Albert is not with us the last night is always spent in my favourite fishing spot, packing is done that afternoon apart from essentials, an early start the following morning and everything is put inside those vacuum bags for storage. back at the yard its out with the hoover and seal the vacuum bags, load the car and hoover the boat.

If Uncle Albert is with us, the last night is spent in the yard as the cleaning and general buggering about can take hours and hours then just when you think it's finally time to leave Uncle Albert ensures you have to start all over again by breaking something, needing a cup of tea or something to eat.