Laptop Keyboard Help plz!

Hi all the computer clever clogs.I appear to have locked  my numbers lock it aint unlocking I cannot use the numbers no workie at all :norty:  I tried the simple thing ....Fn and NumLock   Nothing... ziltch.... heehaw. If any clever Geeky has the answer for an Acer Aspire 571 I would be most grateful.

cheers Iain

Does it show as locked at startup? At what point during startup do you see the NumLock light come on? Just trying to work out if it's a hardware issue or not..

Hi John there is NO light for the Numbers lock unfortuneately

Iain,

As Charlie says:  Turn it off and on again.

I don't know much about your particular computer, but if the keyboard does not work after a re-boot then it sounds like a hardware problem.

You still have the number keys in the row above the letters!

If it IS a hardware problem you could buy a cheap USB keyboard and plug it in.  I know it's an extra complication, but it will be an inexpensive solution.

• Like 1

Hi Iain,

You may find that there could be an obstruction under the key or the key is seized in each case yu would have to lift the key in order to check it out.

This can be problematic on laptops however but I would give it a go if I were you.

The only other option would be to source a replacement. More than likely it will be a genetic part that is fitted to several makes of laptops. 

Best of luck.

Regards

Alan

if its a stuck button, try turning the laptop on its end and then tapping it gently (the laptop on a surface) to dislodge any dirt, rotate 90 deg and tap again (both times with the keyboard vertical) this should shift any dirt, now shake it with the keyboard upside down, this should get rid of the dirt, then give it a try.

alternatively go to start - accessories and activate the on screen keyboard (may be under ease of access) turn on the numberpad and you should have a numlock button you can click on screen.

Grendel

to do a complete reset when powering down, shut down, unplug the mains lead, unplug the battery - now press and hold the power button for 30 secs, then plug in battery and mains and try again, this will clear any residual settings normally stored between boot ups, and can clear a number of problems.

Grendel

To enable or disable Number Lock on the Aspire ,press and hold the Function (Fn) key and press the F11 key once. The Number Lock indicator will light up when the Number Lock is enabled and will be unlit whenever the Number Lock is disabled.

Taken from acer website