Breydon....Have you had a scare................

Hello All,

Just a thought regarding Marina Keys. While it would be an excellent idea revamping them for the reasons already put, would it not be a bit too far from Yarmouth front for some people? When it was in use many moons ago, we would always stop there, purely because of it being a bit safer getting the kids on and off rather than the Yacht station. Horse and carriages were stationed outside to ferry boaters down to the front, but wouldn't like to think how much it would cost now. ls there a bus service that runs past the Keys?  

My fault for suggesting the idea.  :hardhat:  I forgot the GYBC, cannot afford litter bins, never mind boating pontoons or such like!

However, an entreprenaur with some spare cash could possibly turn that land round? I really must stop dreaming. :rolleyes:  :norty:

cheers Iain.

• Like 2

Approximately 25 years ago we were crossing Breydon water I can't remember exactly the closing time but there was around 230 in the morning, we had stop a great Yarmouth yacht station to drop our mast and get ready to cross.

On board was myself my friend Keffer and my first guide dog whose name was Ulan he was a fool bred a black Labrador and a fantastic dog. We set off at the correct time got some way across Breydon when we realised we have drifted slightly two port and of course were on the wrong side of the posts, so we bottomed out the boat and broke a sheer pen in the engine, so we sort ourselves out I managed to haul the engine up fitted I knew sheer pin dropped the engine back in place which is not an easy job because it was an inboard outboard tape of set up. So we started the engine up no problems there tried to get ourselves out I'm broke another sheer pin this went on and on until we were both absolutely exhausted and I do mean exhausted it was getting on 4 o'clock in the morning and it was pitch black you could not see your hand in front of your face so we decided to tie up onto the nearest post and wait until light.

6 AM we get up plenty of light we haul the engine we replace the Sheer pin, got all tools are away had a tidy up then set off two wards the berny arms as my poor guide dog Ulan was desperate for the toilet.

So there you go there is my little story about getting caught out on breydon hope you all enjoy it ...

• Like 7

Broad Scot,

Yours was a really good idea, but as you say it would need someone with very a very big wallet to carry it out. The outlook at the Keys would be a lot better than the yacht station, and it would be so much closer to tie up there, perhaps overnight and wait for the right time to get under 'those bridges' and round the corner early the next morning. The idea of building a marina there might also add to the entertainment, somewhere along the lines of Wroxham Bridge. Watching boats entering/exiting when there'd be a strong tide flowing. l say that thinking about a couple of times we've closed our eyes and crossed everything when entering the River Chet with the wind blowing a gale!! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Traveling to Acle from GT Yarmouth . wife shouts do you want some toast. well its a long journey why not :) After 10 mins of traveling up the river the toast appeared :)  Well I swear its was seconds when looking down at the lovely jam toast. As I look back up at the river , the river bank was fast approaching . Out of gear and into reverse. The boat came to a stop phew I`ve not hit the bank :) . Ok into reverse mmmmm we not moving back. GRRRRR. after five minutes  of why me and head in hands . AH I know if I could  just  push  it off  that should do it . Mmmmmm sand and mud not he best thing to push off on. Well how lucky was I. Medium size rock . grabbed  the hook and pushed us off while the wife had it in reserve. Yayyyyyyyyyyyy we are off. Jumped back in the captains seat and did not take my  eyes off the river for the rest of the holiday.

cheers

only way to learn is from your mistakes:)

• Like 5