Breydon....Have you had a scare................

and nearly turned into a numpty/novice/hulabaloo

Come on, with all the boats stuck, have you done it or NEARLY done it.......

I HAVE......

One year crossing breydon from Yarmouth to Bernie.....

Tide going out, pushing against it at about 1600 rpm getting nowhere fast........

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP, Engine light came on temp gauge needle trying to leave the boat............

Throttled down straight away...........

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP .............ENGINE CUT OUT..........

Boat started going backwards....

Went to front to throw mud weight out, looked back and saw a post coming up, decided (right or wrong) may be able to get rope round post, so ran to back,......

By the time I had got to back, post in front, and I was on the wrong side of it............

Went back to front to put mud weight down and hope.......

As passing helm, decide to try and start engine.........

IT STARTED.......

Nursed to Bernie, moored up, checked weed filter, oil, water etc.... nothing amiss...

Never had a problem rest of holiday...

But could have been a numpty/novice/ hulabaloo  if people had seem me stuck on the mud...

:Stinky

• Like 6

Hi Geoff

Yes like many years ago had a problem read the tides wrong and had a relay rough crossing high water and strong South westerly

lost all deck gear and a few cups as well

This was nearly 40 years ago and always treated Breydon with great respect since

Ray

• Like 3

Totally different Breydon experience. Our first ever Broads holiday on "Spitfire" from Alphacraft. No not the big shiny one but a wooden 25' boat. Was chucking it down and blowing a gale as we left the Berney Arms and the adventure took off big time!

Started off with a few chuck you about waves but these just got bigger and bigger. Its no exageration to say she buried her nose and then the stern would rise out of the water and we would hear the prop squealing away. Wave actually broke over the cabin. It was magnificent and we loved every second. We were hardy 20 year olds and didn''t know any better.

Sadly we have never ever had anything even close to that again even though we actually used to head for Breydon if the weather turned grey! No Rangers guaring the approaches in those days. And it was March a good 40 years plus ago.

• Like 3

About 30 years ago I was there with wife, 5 year old daughter and 3 year old son. We were about a mile from Breydon coming up from Oulton Broad and I remember saying to my wife that it was the first time I had ever seen a Broads river with choppy water. Anyway, it got worse and worse and when we got the first site of Breydon there were lots of white horses. Really not knowing quite what to do and not knowing what a broads cruiser is capable of, it was lucky that a ranger was going in our direction. I shouted across asking whether it was safe to cross but he just gave us large "wave" motions with his hand so I assumed it was ok.

Well, by the time we were a quarter the way across, the wind was howling and we were bouncing! The bow was crashing down and waves were smashing over the cabin roof - with most ending up inside. We managed to follow in the wake of a large private cruiser for about half the way across but it was quite a hairy experience. The hardest part was trying to get my wife and 2 little ones that this is quite normal and not a problem in the slightest !

When we got back to the boatyard at the end of the week I remember the man apologising for the force 9 that Norfolk had provided us with midweek and how he hoped we had been moored up safely. I really didn't like to say anything . . .

• Like 6

The only issues we have had is the current that you hit after crossing Breydon just before you turn passed the yellow post.

At times you can see the whirlpool effect on the surface of the water.

I know of a few private boats that have had engine problems and soon found themselves at the wrong side of the posts, some were lucky, some not.

We quite like crossing Breydon when there is a bit of a swell.

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

No, I made a mistake pure and simple, people do, it's human nature and if there is any person on here who says they have never made a stupid mistake then I'm sorry to say they are liars, pure and simple.

Dave

Well, I've never made a stupid mistake. I've made idiotic, moronic, half-baked, inane and drunken mistakes, but never stupid ones. I also tell lies! :grin:

• Like 7

First time we hired, we followed a route in the hoseasons booklet.. which lead us up north.. going up was easy no problems.. I felt seriously proud lol.. Coming back it suggested overnight at Yarmouth. I can't remember what state of tide we came down on but I remember the tide was running out very fast.. it was raining heavy too, we was on the original Silver Melody (Lovely little boat), I knew we had to turn and knew we was meant to moor at the GYYS. Being green I tried to turn the boat around before the bridge (we could get under the bridge though and not sure why I didn't go under) I remember turning as if we was on a normal River so the boat quickly ended up sideways at speed and there wasn't enough river/power to straighten her up. I think we hit a hireboat which didn't straighten her up. She continued under the road bridge and slammed into a fishing boat which (thankfully I guess)  straightened her up and I was able to regain "control" (if that's what you call it).  I was very shaken and we motored back up to Marina Keys and tied up using every rope we had!  

Strangely we have never moored at GYYS since!

Only other hiccup was bringing my folks boat south when they brought it. I was merely a member of crew so they was responsible for passage planning.. On the way down I noticed the mud wasn't quite visible, but my folks know what they are doing so kinda .. The current started to get stronger as we got closer and I did query the times but they was both confident we was OK.. The boat was idle on the way past the YS and thankfully it was springtides so we had room under the bridge. Turning the post the boat pretty much stopped, it was full throttle and a glance on the horizon meant she was moving forward.. Eventually she was free of the bridge and revs were reduced but there was a moment when I considered turning but knowing the current here was less than the bure so sadly we were better here.. Looking at the tide charts later.. we was an hour and a bit before slack..!  

• Like 2

Gave my twin engine boat a blast over Breydon last year, Stbd engine alarm rings over heating so stopped both engines (no I don't know why either), then another alarm kicks off , the depth alarm, I had ignored where I was to concentrate on the overheating problem, luckily able to get back on track, the point I am trying to make is that we ALL make mistakes, it dose not make us all idiots.

• Like 5

JA  ONCE ON THE RIVER AT ST OLAVS we decided to turn round and moor near the bridge  yikers lol ww went sideways down towards Oulton for 3 or 4hundred yards before we got it turned round   Majic Gem  from rickos it was seems  a bit scarey not being in control lol

• Like 1

That very much depends on where you are, which way the tide is flowing, and whether you're with or against it. In general the idea is to take into account how long it's going to take to complete your manouevre, and where the tide will put you, in that time. If you're anywhere near a bridge and going with the tide, unless it's a dire necessity, don't do it. A boat broadside on to a tide will rapidly gain speed to almost match the flow, and near bridges, the flow tends to increase as it funnels through the bridge. And when you're stuck across the bridge - well, you're stuck! On the open river, I try to bring the boat speed to a minimum before starting a turn. If that means a bit of reverse, so be it. And careful use of a burst of throttle to induce a "spin" makes the operation a bit quicker, but don't do that in a crowded mooring area! Bow thrusters in tight situations are a Godsend, never mind the purists who look down their noses at them. I certainly would have difficulty in returning to my home mooring without one.

• Like 5

At Yarmouth to avoid turning in a fast current, time your arrival to coincide at low slack water.

We rarely stop at the yacht station, the main reason, I like to be in control of my boat, when other boats are manoeuvring around me. If we are moored up, and a large battle cruiser looses control, we could suffer huge damage.

Over the years, we have seen boats punch holes in the side of moored boats.

What Yarmouth needs are floating pontoon moorings.

• Like 3

Agreed requires big investment, but surely if looked the part, it would attract more boats to moor up there. I used it often, when the pub was there. Much easier to manouver as well. Still not a dawdle though. :norty:

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

"What Yarmouth needs are floating pontoon moorings."

I totally agree and have been saying so for a few years now.

If the Marina Keys site was converted into an off river marina then then as already stated would be a resource worth having and would be used.

I certainly would not stop at the Yarmouth Yacht Station as it is now.

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

Or move lock stock and barrel up to the Keys and revamp the whole area there?

I admit it is badly in need of dredging there.

cheers Iain

That would be the best solution, boats could check in, a ranger could check boat height before departure, and advise them what time to leave.

There could be a digital height display, and a camera and video screen looking at the bridge(s).

However, mooring fees would need to be adjusted, £2 for two hours or free for 20 minutes whilst checking bridge clearance.

If this was available, I would use it, when returning back up the Bure, as the Bure ebbs for half an hour after slack water, and we could hold up for an hour, and leave on the flood tide. Saving petrol, engine noise etc

• Like 4

:wave ive not had a problem at breydon, but we did have problems at reedcutter pub next to cantley, we came down from the the cut near thorpe, & it was a verrry windy day 7 it was before they'd straightened the moorings out, pulling in for lunch was fine, but getting back out was a nightmare, the wind was that strong every time we tried to get out the wind just blew us back in,it was a really bad corner there , we eventually got out after 4 long attempts, & we had a load of fishermen just sitting watching us & having a good laugh, we finally got out by using the hook pole & giving it full revs but we had a real struggle, & all the fishermen applauded, cheeky bu''ers .  lori :Stinky

• Like 3

That would be the best solution, boats could check in, a ranger could check boat height before departure, and advise them what time to leave.

There could be a digital height display, and a camera and video screen looking at the bridge(s).

However, mooring fees would need to be adjusted, £2 for two hours or free for 20 minutes whilst checking bridge clearance.

If this was available, I would use it, when returning back up the Bure, as the Bure ebbs for half an hour after slack water, and we could hold up for an hour, and leave on the flood tide. Saving petrol, engine noise etc

On our last two forays North we've used exactly that and the Rangers haven't mentioned payment... I just say that I'm "waiting for the tide".

• Like 1

On our last two forays North we've used exactly that and the Rangers haven't mentioned payment... I just say that I'm "waiting for the tide".

I might try that next time.

On a previous occasion we aimed to arrive at the yellow post half an hour after low slack water, but then we were confronted with an incomming tide through the lift bridge, which meant we had to increase the throttle quite considerably, we also had to steer well up stream of the yellow post before turning, as we were being swept away.

We were well under control, we were at no risk, but we required more use of the throttle, with only 15 hp to play with, we couldn't have left it much later.

:wave ive not had a problem at breydon, but we did have problems at reedcutter pub next to cantley, we came down from the the cut near thorpe, & it was a verrry windy day 7 it was before they'd straightened the moorings out, pulling in for lunch was fine, but getting back out was a nightmare, the wind was that strong every time we tried to get out the wind just blew us back in,it was a really bad corner there , we eventually got out after 4 long attempts, & we had a load of fishermen just sitting watching us & having a good laugh, we finally got out by using the hook pole & giving it full revs but we had a real struggle, & all the fishermen applauded, cheeky bu''ers .  lori :Stinky

This is how it's done in those circumstances, using the mooring lines. Practice somewhere quiet and you will then do it like an expert!   http://www.powerboat-training.co.uk/Downloads/Leaving&ComingAlongside-RIBInt%27l.pdf

• Like 3

Us fishermen love a spot of entertainment, especially when we are not catching!!

• Like 2