Self Deploying Ropes

kfurbank

Can anyone tell me where I can buy some? I spent a few hours in Wroxham this afternoon and as you do I spent some time on the bridge watching the boats come and go, and a little time in the hotel. I would say that about 8 in 10 of the boats that come in to moor at the pilots pick up point, just seem to drift aimlessly into the mooring with everybody sitting inside the cockpit. No direction from the helm, no one on the outside of the boat ready to fend off, no one waiting with ropes to go ashore. Have people really got that lazy that they don't even want to tie their boat up?

The wherry Albion was moored in the dyke next to the hotel and was having an open day. One of the guys with the wherry seemed to spend most of his day asking to be passed a rope so he could help tie the boats off. Wouldn't mind if there were people on the outside of boats ready to throw a rope to him, but most of the time he had to ask for someone to throw him a rope, or reach out and grab a rope of the boat.

With a bloody great bridge looming, why aren't people more prepared?

• Like 6

With a bloody great bridge looming, why aren't people more prepared?

I'll be kind and put it down to lack of experience. Being a little harsher, they are probably otherwise engaged - looking for the handbrake  :naughty:  :naughty:  :naughty: 

• Like 4

I was standing on the bank at Womack the other day watching a boat mooring up stern on. There was a lot of thrusting and what have you, and eventually the stern of the boat inched towards the bank. I casually and somewhat nonchalantly held out my hand to receive the mooring rope from the gentleman on the stern.

He grasped my hand and gave me a firm handshake.

I think that he thought that I was part of the parish welcoming committee.

• Like 11

The people on board are responsible for mooring, they might want to ask or accept assistance from a stranger on the shore.

What I think is a no no, is personally taking a rope off a boat and tying it off without any interference from any one on board.

What would happen if they decide not to moor and try to cruise away, or you slip in between the boat and the quay heading, or drop the rope and it gets around the prop...?

If the crew were in genuine difficulty, then I would use my judgement and assist as required, if the crew of the boat make no effort, then out comes my boat hook for damage limitation.

I have pushed many a boat clear of ours as they come along side, if in my judgement, they are likely to hit my boat.

• Like 1

I think the offering of assistance has been done to death on here before. But as you say you have to make a judgement call as to how you can help and if you want to.

As for a boat hook as a fend off wand!!! Never use a foot, leg, hand or boat hook to fend off. That's what the big round or sausage shaped things are for. Either you will get hurt or damage a boat with your hook. That's why I have a swarm of them on my boat (and they are all legal).

Hopefully if I was to get too close to your boat it would be soooo sloooow the fenders would do their job.

• Like 1

Funnily enough Mrs Nog has often commented on the exact point Keith makes as she has observed this many times. People often seem to come into a mooring and seem to expect the boat to tie itself up. I do wonder sometimes if people are so used to driving cars that they just cannot get to grips with the fact that handling a boat is a different matter entierly.

On the point of ‘helping’ we certainly got our share of that in May. I know people are just trying to be helpful but we had several occasions where people grabbed the mooring rope out of Mrs Nog’s hand and proceeded to ram us into the quay heading. I sometimes wonder if it’s because there are just two of us and they assume we can’t cope. In fact Mrs Nog copes very well and she usually gathers up both bow and stern ropes, we come alongside, she steps ashore and job done (hopefully). I’m not claiming we are experts by any means and we do make mistakes like everyone else but we know in theory what we should be doing!

• Like 1

Funnily enough Mrs Nog has often commented on the exact point Keith makes as she has observed this many times. People often seem to come into a mooring and seem to expect the boat to tie itself up. I do wonder sometimes if people are so used to driving cars that they just cannot get to grips with the fact that handling a boat is a different matter entierly.

On the point of ‘helping’ we certainly got our share of that in May. I know people are just trying to be helpful but we had several occasions where people grabbed the mooring rope out of Mrs Nog’s hand and proceeded to ram us into the quay heading. I sometimes wonder if it’s because there are just two of us and they assume we can’t cope. In fact Mrs Nog copes very well and she usually gathers up both bow and stern ropes, we come alongside, she steps ashore and job done (hopefully). I’m not claiming we are experts by any means and we do make mistakes like everyone else but we know in theory what we should be doing!

Oh Howard, i've got one of em things like you, a wife who knows what she is doing when we moor up! Taken 40 odd years mind. :naughty: Ouch! She read that last remark!

cheers Iain

• Like 2

you need 2 harpoon guns, 1 on the front and 1 on the rear, as soon as you get to a mooring location let rip the harpoons and really drive those suckers into the object you want to be near and then just winch them back in to pull the boat to it.

• Like 3

Morning all - like Gracie I have been on the Broads since I was a small child - parents had a wooden boat. Then it was get on the bow and help with the ropes - all part of the boating experience and fun. Nowadays I moor our boat (and still in 2015 get some strange looks) and husband does the ropes but again life jackets on & get on with it. If there is someone there to give the rope to then great. Each to their own re mooring but our approach is always all hands on deck! Have a lovely day all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

you need 2 harpoon guns, 1 on the front and 1 on the rear, as soon as you get to a mooring location let rip the harpoons and really drive those suckers into the object you want to be near and then just winch them back in to pull the boat to it.

That'll stop double mooring... lol