Spiders to keep away from

This is something which keeps coming up in the news recently, but this report is a little close to home. The report is very close to where Alan (JawsOrca) lives, but they say, because of the weather they are moving north :shocked.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3195187/Horrific-picture-shows-huge-pus-filled-blisters-man-arm-ballooned-bitten-false-widow-spider.html

Regards

Marina :Stinky

• Like 3

I pick these spiders up all the time and remove them from my boat, I even antagonise them, never been biten by 1.

quote]'Every day blood tests were taken the results of which didn't seem to explain what was wrong.

not a spider bite then.

Edited by CaptinDread

I thought when this all came about a couple of years ago, the Media agreed in the end that these things have been here for years and these stories if limbs failing off where just an illergic reaction to the sting.. just like you get with a bee or wasp.. So mum stop being a wimp! ;) 

Well, I took a bath with a spider of tarantula proportions the other night (ok, a bit of an exaggeration) I have never moved so fast in my entire life, I know they are good for the planet and everything but they are not good in my bath tub or any where within 3 miles of me lol. Shame on you Jaws for calling your mum a wimp, she most certainly is not, I am with her all the way on this :naughty:

Grace

• Like 6

Shame on you Jaws for calling your mum a wimp, she most certainly is not, I am with her all the way on this :naughty:

Grace

I can confirm I got bitten about 30 years ago by a spider putting it out of the window for the wench. it was a bit like a bee sting but lasted a few days. It was a similar looking thing to that in the picture, that was in Brentwood. Still get rid of em for the wench but have never been bitten since.

Charlie

I am with Grace and although spiders are one of life's good guys they should never be seen - near me anyway. The pint glass and a piece of cardboard are the only way I get near them. 

Captn Dread - when your replying next tot he paperclip you can use the choose files option and go from there.

• Like 2

I am afraid you lot would not have survived in my trade. Working in very old georgian and victorian houses, spiders were a regular occurance! Big wans too! Because I live in a very sandy soil area they feed well and grow to a fair old size. John (The Admiral) has the perfect solution, conkers in a bowl. They don't like for some reason and do a runner! Otherwise its a Size 11 or a jar to remove them.

cheersIain

Well, I took a bath with a spider of tarantula proportions the other night (ok, a bit of an exaggeration) I have never moved so fast in my entire life, I know they are good for the planet and everything but they are not good in my bath tub or any where within 3 miles of me lol. Shame on you Jaws for calling your mum a wimp, she most certainly is not, I am with her all the way on this :naughty:

Grace

Hi Grace,

You and Tan are very much alike with regards to Yachts, Bridges and Spiders, I am some glad she has better sence with regards to her shoes.

I caught a spider running across our lounge floor a while ago, I put a pint pot over it, its legs were touching all the sides. Tan swears they grin at her. 

I just put them outside, hope their not homing spiders.

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

Why do spiders like the outside of my boat so much? Not a problem inside, but the deck gets a lot on it. 

Can I hang conkers on the railings to deter them and will they act as small fenders as well? Great for the ad hoc conker competition as well. 

I might have to pinch some laces from a certain young ladies shoe collection. 

• Like 3

I do the conker thing yearly and it  works

I place the bowls by windows to deter them from entering.

my conkers from last year have just run out and the spiders are starting to gather but

new conkers are on the way.

the old ones are dried and rock hard now.

when I place the new ones, the spiders start to appear from their hiding places before they leg it :party:

Edited by jill_R
  • Like 1