1960s postcard on Ebay - Horning aerial view 1960s

Like many I suspect, I always keep an eye on ebay for anything Broads related.

Here's a very interesting aerial view of Horning in the 1960s on a postcard.

It's unusual because the seller has made the preview very large and detailed,

quite an interesting vista before the boatyards gave way to all the "unsympathetic" new housing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1960s-RIVER-BURE-HORNING-NORFOLK-BROADS-NORFOLK-UNUSED-RP-POSTCARD-/141834808595?hash=item2106036d13:g:RvAAAOSwMTZWRICB

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

... didn't realize the amount of moorings there were, are these still there?it is not apparent from the river........

If you mean the basin in the bottom left, that's Horning Village Marina, which has been dug out much bigger now, but is all private rented moorings.

Horning then and now.jpg

Was the boatyard on the right of the pic Banham's.

I remember passing, on my first Broads holiday in 1958, a boatyard with a roundel painted on the shed which was Percival's. I thought for many years that Percival's was the boatyard pictured but since then I have read somewhere that Percival's was round the corner - just off picture top left.

Thanks Regulo.

We once hired from the Lower Street yard and I do now remember the main yard being round the corner.

I was still wondering where Percival's was and discovered a thread from May this year when AdnamsGirl posted an aerial photo that explains all: the yard in the pic was Banham's and Percival's was a similar sized yard approximately midway between Banham's and Southgates Lower Street yard.

12 hours ago, 16E said:

We've got the same postcard in our collection.  It is used and the cancellation is September 1959 - so earlier that 1960's.

I would definitely agree with that as the current Horning sailing club building is missing and that was opened in 1963.

It's surprising how casually even professional postcards were often labelled.

Like this one, of the Golden Galleon, leaving "Haven Bridge" Quay......

(It may well have left HB Quay, but the inference is the bridge in the photo.)

gg.jpg

Having sold tens of thousands of cards and supplied post card companies with images over several years I can only say 'amen' to Strow's comment about casual labeling. Despite great care in providing the information the publishers would still get it wrong! No doubt that the 'leaving Haven Bridge Quay' is correct but 'Passing through whatever bridge' would have been far more informative. But would it have made any difference? When I sold cards at both Oulton Broad and Burgh St Peter on the Waveney the most popular card, by far, was a Salmon Card of Belaugh Church on the Bure, In other words folk bought the card because they liked the picture, not the caption. Second most popular was from 'Don's Supplies' and was of that rather famous mill on the Ant. Funnily enough it wasn't an accurate picture, the white sails on the yacht were bright red! As popular as that picture was, I sold thousands, I rarely see it on E.Bay, strange.