Tempting fate.

littlesprite

Yes I probably am tempting fate but here goes anyway.

Diesel bug, we've all heard about it and many of us probably use some kind of treatment to prevent it, my question is has anybody ever treated their home heating oil tank?

This is where I tempt fate, after more than 30 years I've never treated my heating oil, :bow does anyone treat theirs, or has anyone ever had a bug problem?

We use 'Soltron' onboad 'B.A', I've also treated Mrs G's car, my van and Jeep to it on the odd occasion.  The main benefit for 'B.A' is it keeps the diesel bug at bay - not such a problem with vehicles but the side effect is that it does help burn diesel more efficiently, this helps with the onboard Mikuni heating system and does not carbon up the glow plug. Home heating systems? not a clue as we use MrsG and gas (Probably both the same come to think of it)

Griff

• Like 3

Marine16 is cheap, about a tenner for enough bug killer to treat 1000 (or is it 2000?) litres, give a good overdose to make sure, breaks the sludge down too if present, it did very well in the PBO test, I tend to use their diesel fuel complete as it stabilises fuel that's hanging around for a while.

• Like 1

Hi 

when you put  marine 16 or soltron in your tank can you put too much in ?

I have a aquafibre  38 lowliner and am not sure how big the diesel tank is. I did fill the tank up before winterisation . Like some have said why take the risk of not  using one of the above. Much easy of adding it than a rebuild :facepalm:

cheers karl 

The easy thing to do (if you can get to it) is measure the tank and calculate the volume, that said after the first treatment you add according to how much diesel you put in the tank (what's in there is already treated).

As for whether you can over treat, I've never heard of it being a problem to the tank/fuel, only the wallet.

• Like 1

We use Fuel Set in out Seamaster 30 and have done for some years. It is used a lot in America but not so much in the UK, it was well rated by PBO and is quite cheep to buy and economical to use. It is not a biocide, it absorbs any water into the fuel and breaks down any bug so that it all passes out of the exhaust. (Try Googleing Fuel Set for a full explanation) They recommend doubling the dosage for the first application. Of course we keep the tank filled up for the winter but there is no way of knowing what had been done in its hire boat days much of which was in France 

• Like 2

Doh and here's me thinking you just need to do it once a year . During the winter months . Of course you can have the same trouble through out the year. The diesel in the tank won't be used like it is in car :wave I'll get my coat . Thanks for your replies it sinks in eventually. Not literally I hope :shocked

Karl 

• Like 2