Man missing in dinghy in Thorpe

Vaughan

9 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I have just read in the EDP that a man was in difficulties in a dinghy last night outside the Buck in Thorpe.

I assume this must be one of the residents of the island. Is he all right? Anyone any news?

I have spoken (online) to an island resident, and been told the gentleman is fine. But also embarrassed. The EDP article did give the impression it was a serious incident.

9 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I have just read in the EDP that a man was in difficulties in a dinghy last night outside the Buck in Thorpe.

I assume this must be one of the residents of the island. Is he all right? Anyone any news?

I recently noticed a current island resident was asking how to contact you. She is very interested about your life on the island. Would it be OK to let her know of your NBN account?

The guy concerned is fine, I have been talking with him this evening. The injury was an existing trauma for which he is waiting for the NHS to put right. The emergency services responded well,we had 3 fire tenders including their boats plus a good number of police. My only criticism would be the time it took to launch their boat, about 30 mins from arrival.

i gather that having had a couple in The Buck the guy decided to have a paddle through the bridge. Having not seen him return a concerned islander phoned 999 and from there the incident evolved!

Very glad to say no one went in the water otherwise it could have been fatal at this time of year.

colincheers

• Like 1

Very glad that all is well!  I know what it is like to come out of the Buck after a couple of beers!

Love Thorpe, if someone wishes to contact me on here that is fine. 

If not, my e-mail is www.vaughan.ashby@wanadoo.fr

There was one night, long ago, when I came out of the Buck to discover, too late, that one of my friends had come out just before and nailed my dinghy to the bank with a 6 inch nail. I jumped in, the boat didn't move and I went straight out the other side. Oh, happy days!

• Like 5

Can add a tale here.... Was  out on "Samarkand" form AlphaCraft with  friends moored at Ranworth. I wanted a pint or three but nobody else did. Wanted to watch bloody TV all night. We had a dingy so, while they were all avidly glued to the telly, I slipped the mooring ropes and gently towed the boat out into the middle, slipped down the mud plug and went for said pints! As I reached the quay I heard a voice complaining the TV ariel needed moving!

They never did seem to see the funny side!

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Pubs bring out the worst in us boating types! Was moored outside Coldham Hall for the annual spring regatta. We had three of Fowler's six berthers. When we arrived we all moored bow into the tide, the middle boat alongside the water tap. Came out of the pub, boarded our boat, turned on the tap so we could have a coffee, bugger, forgot to fill the tank before we left Oulton Broad. Now we were stern to the tide and rather than move the other boats along we simply cast the sterns off, letting them swing round with the tide, effectively moving everyone along a boat's length, simple! Filled up with water, had a coffee or two, all suitably laced. All the boats had side access hatchways that, on arrival, had been alongside, only now they were on the riverside. Come the morning one of the crew heads for the shore, determined to find peace & quiet in the 'little boy's room in the pub. Only trouble was, no one had told him that the boats had been turned around during the night. Bleary eyed crew member stepped ashore, only the shore was now on the other side. The water is very cold in May! Ten out of ten for his entry! He did survive.

• Like 3

Carol Gingell sent me up in the loft the other day to find an article about Jenners, and I also found this.

It is actually rather a sad story, as this was by no means the only occasion. The Thorpe mental hospital was still running in those days and some of the patients would take a walk in the afternoon, onto the green, and to visit the shops. Sometimes, one of them would feel that it was no longer worth going on, and jump in the river.

I am glad to say that, in all those years that I remember, we never lost one. There always somehow seemed to be someone, usually from Hearts, who saw it happen, and got there in time.

In this case the lady jumped in on a low tide, and broke both her ankles. This sent her unconscious, and she would have drowned. I didn't have time to think about the tide, and almost hit the bottom when I dived off the gunboat!

This is perhaps why I was concerned to hear about someone in trouble the other day. The dinghy, by the way, is the same one that they nailed to the bank when I was in the Buck that night!

When I read nowadays of policemen who won't go into a 1ft deep paddling pool to rescue a child in trouble...................

Vaughan_rescues.thumb.jpeg.21fc05bfa476a

• Like 3

Nobby Clark was often called upon to assist when people were lost in the river Yare between Reedham and Norwich. His knowledge of the tides and currents were such that if it as known where the unfortunate person had entered the water, and roughly the time, he would know where to look.

Indeed it was said that he had a makeshift mortuary on one of his slipway's.

As for Thorpe hospital one would often see the residents walking through the village. Easily identified by their ill fitting and shabby clothes.

Some were Polish pilots from RAF Coltishall.........but that is another story.

• Like 2