Bilge Pumps

Baz

Hi all, I've actually put a similar request on the other Broads site, concerned about the use of bilge pumps. I intend fitting one , but to be honest, there are so many out there that it's a bit disconcerting. Does anyone have any thoughts about their use, and possibly models to dismiss. I have been told about a certain model, good actually, so have an idea of buying it. I thought it would be a good idea to get a second opinion so to speak.

We always go for 'rule' pumps and float switches. One of our group has a woodie that last year insisted on heading for the bottom given the chance. Over the season he gave most models of pump and switches a good workout (we had to buy ourselves a few months while slipway and cradle became available) and the Rule items last far better in our experience. In fact the two Rule items are still on there! 

By the way, our choice is for separate floats. The combined units are rendered useless if either component fails. With separates you only pay for the bit you need.

• Like 2

Baz! you know I'm tight so go for the cheap ones as long as it has good output in gallons per hour, I always get mine from E/bay and never had a problem with them, don't forget you'll also need bilge pump switch and a bilge filter system for the BSC as you can't have direct discharge now, below is what I have fitted on mine, I think mine is a bit under powered but my thinking is if i'm not on the boat and it starts sinking, if my battery dies the boat will sink anyway,  mine comes into play  when underway as my boat takes on a little bit of water so the pump just makes sure the bilge stays fairly dry, for a sinking boat a bit of a waste of time if your not onboard, might be Ok if you have one of those permanent whizzy chargers to keep the battery's going, but fine if you just take on a little bit of water in the bilge as it will only come on once in a blue moon, so idel for you as your never on your boat,   :naughty:  see you soon as I'm getting cabin fever stuck here at home,,

Filter system

Bilge pump

Bilge pump switch

• Like 1

We've had issues with seaflow (seaworld - I think it's the same company), it's not built too well and didn't last too long (although it was used in a commercial application really). 

Personally as it's the thing constantly connected up to the batteries I'd say it's worth investing in a good quality one. It's also the last defense against a big bill.

We use whale quite a bit.  The supersub is worth a look (https://marinestore.co.uk/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MTSS5012&Category_Code=whale_pumps-electric&Store_Code=mrst&gclid=CJ6rx6uc7coCFTgW0wodkSEMZg)  Orca has the Whale "Orca" pump (Superstition not inferred) :facepalm:...http://www.marinescene.co.uk/product/3833/whale-orca-500-gph-12v-bilge-water-pump/?gclid=CJ_p0sGd7coCFQ-3GwodPlgMtQ   . 

Like JA I'd suggest you go with a separate float switch that way either are interchangeable if they go bye bye. (Rule switches are good. Beware of cheaper imitations though on sale everywhere: http://www.marinesuperstore.com/plumbing-pumps/bilge/rule-float-switch?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=pcn&utm_term=06973&utm_campaign=MSS&gclid=CPLtsuqc7coCFabnwgodyzYGfg

We also use the whale gulper pumps although that's a bit over the top for you. 

cheers 

Hi Alan,

We use the Rule float switches on-board Ranworth Breeze, I had to replace one last season, as usual Brian Ward's had them in stock.

I had been working fine all week of our allocation, I had even tested both of the bilge pumps that morning. We stayed to meet the next owners who wanted a recap on the general operations of the boat and lo and behold it would not work. So old jeans on and into the bilges and removed the complete pump and float switch. I tested these on the staging and found the float at fault, but replaced both (these had been in operation for 14 years). The old pump is now in the boat kit (after cleaning) as a spare.

Regards

Alan  

Many thanks for the comments so far peeps, but now, I'd like to ask. How do I fix the pump etc to the bottom of the boat. The lowest point of the bilge is in fact at the bottom of the keel, and the keel is quite narrow from what I can remember. Would I use glue, screw it to the floor, and risk drilling right through the hull, or is there an easy way that's hiding from me.

Just had a thought. What if I pore some resin into a small area of the bilge, thus making the bottom a bit thicker, and then using the screws supplied, screw both the pump and the switch , on to that, or is that too easy ?

8 minutes ago, Baz said:

Many thanks for the comments so far peeps, but now, I'd like to ask. How do I fix the pump etc to the bottom of the boat. The lowest point of the bilge is in fact at the bottom of the keel, and the keel is quite narrow from what I can remember. Would I use glue, screw it to the floor, and risk drilling right through the hull, or is there an easy way that's hiding from me.

Some mount the pump on a heavy bit of steel so it stays down. I like to mount on a bit of alloy bent at 90 degrees with the top screwed to a bearer.

I have seen a boat with a screw sticking out the bottom where someone screwed the pump dirictly to the boat, not clever.

• Like 2

On 'B.A' we have two 'Rule' fully auto bilge pumps, that is they check every minute or so by switching themsens on, if no resistance they switch off.  There are two separate switches on the helm, we can set them to manual / Off / Auto.  We also have a third bilge pump wired via a float switch, this is our belts n braces pump, no control over this one at all.  All three pumps claim to do around 1100gph. The Rule are very reliable but will wear out if left on auto all year long year after year as we have found out. Nowadays we leave them switched off when 'B.A' is unoccupied just relying on the float switched pump (Can't remember the name of it right now)  which never gets used, to make sure it works I have to go down there, manually lift the float just to turn the pump over now and again. The auto rule we switch to manual now and again when onboard.

Fitting - the channels down the side of the hog under where the ribs join it are the lowest point, trouble with that is that the pumps sit on top of the hog, consequently it takes quite a bit of river / rain water to build up before the pumps are able to scavenge it out.  I therefore cut two bilge 'Sumps' in the top of the hog for the two Rule pumps (1 x fwd and 1 x aft) , plenty of 5 star cuprinol followed by underwater primer etc the pumps themselves are mounted on pieces of hardwood that are screwed down to the top of the hog. - the system works fine.  We also have non-return valves fitted to both pipes leading to the two skin fittings as these are the lowest skin fitting through hull (Apart from the two raw water pick ups for the Beta obviously)

Photo shows the aft Rule pump along with the belts n braces pump via float switch and non-return valve etc

Hope this helps,

Griff

BA NBN 204.JPG

Hiya Griff, many thanks for that. Between you and MBA, I think I may have cracked it, albeit that I'll only be getting just the one pump and fittings.This'll give me something to do instead of just lazing around doing nothing eh

• Like 1

Mine is at the bottom of a 3 foot piece of metal strip, the top of which is mounted where I can get to it.  The float switch can get bunged up now and again, so I hoik it out a couple of times a year to clean it, and the grating around the pump itself.

Mark at MBA did a great job on servicing my engines and offered a lot of good advice.